Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Pre-sense anti collision kicked in today

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2016, 01:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Pre-sense anti collision kicked in today

On our way home going through one of the major roads near our city. The wife and the 6 year old both are busy heads done playing Pokemon Go. (6 yr old's got my phone). In a distance ahead a half inflated mylon birthday ballon is barely floating 2 or 3 feet above the road. One of the cars ahead's draft cause the balloon to move pretty much head on my car. I think nothing of it and since my brain is processing drive on as normal. BAM, my brakes slam on its own, seat belts jams and tightens and the thigh and side bolsters pump and inflate. Wife and kid freak out. The car behind me probably thinks I am crazy. As ballon catches another draft of air I accelerate and move back to normal speed.

Conclusion, I like the safety features but I think human still makes better decision.
Old 07-23-2016, 01:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes. Read the autonomous car test in this months motor trend. And humans being better at decision making while driving is addressed.
Humans and technology... We have a lot of faith in autonomous systems. Tesla needs data from drivers using the autopilot system. They were smart by telling people its a beta system and use at your own risk. The drivers are naive and over confident the system will work perfectly. Hence the crashes and people blaming Tesla for putting an imperfect system in the car. Yes and no... Yes it is imperfect and no, Tesla should and needs the system out there to collect the data in order to tweak the it. The Tesla owner need to be responsible and realize they are testers and need to be aware that malfunctions can happen.
Old 07-23-2016, 03:15 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

As I jogged the other day I wondered if the car would react with joggers that run near the road

Last edited by Dasaint; 07-23-2016 at 04:35 PM.
Old 07-23-2016, 06:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

This is not a tesla forum but i went for a ride with my brother in his the other day and it was impressive. He has the duel motor so the speed was expected but what was interesting is we went about 30 miles and he was changing lanes and taking exits from one freeway to the other and didnt take control until we came to a stop sign at the end or our trip. Once in a while a indicator would go off and he need to crab the wheel but it only did it a couple of times. I ask him to ignore the request and the car came to a stop and turned the four way on. I hope the audi we have coming can do some of this.
Old 07-23-2016, 06:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I friend asked me today why did I spend $70k in a car and opt out of that option. Told him I trust my brain better than a computer for now. Not a texter or a Pokémon play r while driving.
Old 07-23-2016, 06:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A friend asked me today why did I spend $70k on a car and opt out of that option. Told him I trust my brain better than a computer for now. Not a texter or a Pokémon player while driving.
Old 07-23-2016, 09:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

I love driving buy hate driving in seattle traffic, so looking forward for the little relief
Old 07-24-2016, 02:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

From an IT perspective these autonomous driving systems have reached a pretty amazing point over the past 12 years. The D3 had distance cruise back in the early to mid 2000's. Autonomous driving version 0.5. While I see these new systems from Tesla and Audi being pretty damn good at their job, maybe 95-96% effective, that last few percentage points are going to require exponentially more computing power to fully match an acutely aware human driver. To reach the skill level of a professional race car driver even more. (not on a controlled circuit) I will say I would trust the computer above a brain dead idiot on their cell phone or someone who thinks their car doubles as a dinner table or makeup studio.

At this point the systems are far from perfect and may never reach perfection but what they will do is never have that momentary lapse of judgment (from fatigue, distraction, intoxication etc) and that's where they will win in terms of number of incidents per mile.

For now we will have to babysit the systems and override when they're wrong, and more interesting question for the future is how will it be able to tell the difference between an errant balloon or airborne plastic bag versus a harder object coming at you, like lets say a ladder falling off a contractors truck, or an 18 wheeler dumping a load of snow/ice off the roof of his trailer. Anyone who figures out that trick probably stands to make a tidy sum of cash from this race to full autopilot.
Old 07-24-2016, 05:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Problem is the dead idiot on there cell phone, doing there make-up while eating lunch are not policing the autonomous drive.
Hmm....maybe with all its current faults, it is still better then the distracted driver. LOL!
Old 07-24-2016, 08:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dhc8guru
Problem is the dead idiot on there cell phone, doing there make-up while eating lunch are not policing the autonomous drive.
Hmm....maybe with all its current faults, it is still better then the distracted driver. LOL!
Gotta add into the mix the people who want to hack the MMI to enable it for play of videos (in motion). I continue to fail to understand that reasoning, especially considering the threat to other drivers. But then, it's all about "me" these days.

Quick Reply: Pre-sense anti collision kicked in today