Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Rear lights

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2016, 01:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rear lights

Does anyone know if the standard rear/tail lights are actually a different part to the dynamic rear's or is the indicator just to coded to operate in a different pattern?
Old 07-27-2016, 08:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bjc2974
Does anyone know if the standard rear/tail lights are actually a different part to the dynamic rear's or is the indicator just to coded to operate in a different pattern?
Dynamic rears are not part of the U.S. model.
Old 07-27-2016, 01:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by zekeman
Dynamic rears are not part of the U.S. model.
Thanks but that wasn't my question....
Old 07-27-2016, 03:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bjc2974
Good question. I won't get mine until sometime in December, but, would live the dynamic tail lights. Seems like you can order the dark tinted ones that are available in Europe. And they reference a wiring connector that is also required. Not sure about programming to make all that work.

And, I'm kinda jealous. I was following a MY2017 A4 today - and it had the dynamic tail lights. I know there can be/are differences between models, but, c'mon Audi - if the A4 can have 'em in the US - how about the Q7?
Old 07-27-2016, 08:14 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

By Dynamic tails you mean the sweeping indicators correct? In HK my sales rep says they are just waiting from some coding then they can reprogram mine.

Also, the tinted tails are beautiful, I've seen them on a bunch of A6 and A7 and it makes a huge difference. Can someone clarify if there is no difference in the housing? I may just place some tint instead of replacing the tail lights itself.

KB
Old 07-27-2016, 09:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Yes. The indicator sweeping from the inside to the outside. The lens appears to be identical but its just the indicator motion that is different.
Old 07-29-2016, 01:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

The head/tail light regulations in NA prohibit (for nonsensical historical reasons) the sleek sweeping indicators that the European Q7 has (as optional). The A4 has an 'Americanized' somewhat bulkier version, which is why these, by contrast, are permitted in the US. This issue is discussed in a couple of other threads on this forum. Thanks to the same (hopeless) regulations, matrix LED head lights are also not approved in the US and won't be until the regulations change. The blame is presumably entirely on the regulatory agencies in NA, not on Audi. Perhaps Audi will make a bulkier, A4-like version of the sweeping indicators for the next face-lifted version of the Q7 in the US, who knows. To me, all this was a huge disappointment when I was ordering my 2017 Q7 and I thought immediately that I'd just bring a pair of European sweeping indicator tail lights plus adapters with me back from Europe this summer and do an exchange, however, after digging into this I'm now pretty sure that these, regrettably, would be considered illegal in the US. I'd really appreciate if someone could tell me that I'm completely wrong here, but I'm not too optimistic that's the case.
Old 07-29-2016, 01:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Food for thought, any vehicles with aftermarket hids are illegal as most of the kits are stamped "for off road only" but many cars drive around with these kits with out dealing with any repercussions. ...what I am getting at is yeah they maybe illegal, probability of getting pulled over for it is really really low. Especially considering how natural it looks. I know that still does not make it right but for me it is worth the risk
Old 07-29-2016, 02:15 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tinted windows in NJ are illegal and I've had them in all my vehicles since 1999. The chances any police officer would know that those tail lights are not legal are very slim. I'd do this mod once it is possible and I'm sure it will become available at some point.
Old 07-29-2016, 07:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was behind an S5 today that had sweeping indicators. Mustangs have sweeping indicators. If it is an issue with the size of the lens, I hardly believe a police officer is going to notice or bother with pulling you over. Not like the Q7 looks menacing. Probably most inspection stations wouldn't question it either. The crap on the road that people get away with on there cars amazes me.

Quick Reply: Rear lights