Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Sound sytem upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2016, 10:49 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sound sytem upgrade

Hi,

i've seen a thread about this but it seems dead for a while.

When ordering my car (2017 PP Q7), i totally forgot to add the upgraded bose sound system. The baseline one is not terrible (for classical music it's actually decent), but horrible for heavier stuff. Any idea if they can retrofit the bose system?

If not, anyone would recommend a more custom upgrade solution?

thanks
Old 09-28-2016, 11:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

If it was me, and this guys don't look far from you, and budget wasn't really a concern. I'd take my car to these guys. SIS - Simplicity in Sound I wouldn't even try to retrofit the bose. The products and what they do will blow the bose away.
Old 09-28-2016, 11:23 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I assume you've taken your car there (?). I am convinced a custom system will beat Bose, what budget do you have in mind when you say that.
Old 09-28-2016, 11:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I haven't, I'm on the east coast. I've seen a lot of their builds on DIY mobile. Very quality work and a lot of though put into their systems. For me, my budget would be high, it would be a bit more than the B&O upgrade that is for sure. My previous stereo for just the front stage was over 3k installed, it was just a basic two way setup with dual 10's. In the Q7, i'd do front and rear speakers plus a sub. So it would depend on speakers and amps really determines the budget and sound quality goals.
Old 09-28-2016, 11:40 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by alipor
I haven't, I'm on the east coast. I've seen a lot of their builds on DIY mobile. Very quality work and a lot of though put into their systems. For me, my budget would be high, it would be a bit more than the B&O upgrade that is for sure. My previous stereo for just the front stage was over 3k installed, it was just a basic two way setup with dual 10's. In the Q7, i'd do front and rear speakers plus a sub. So it would depend on speakers and amps really determines the budget and sound quality goals.
ok , I was aiming at $2k, not to go crazy, but to have something that sound clear and neutral. I'm not blasting loud music, i just want a balanced clear sound throughout the full range.
Old 09-28-2016, 12:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Ronan Carrein
ok , I was aiming at $2k, not to go crazy, but to have something that sound clear and neutral. I'm not blasting loud music, i just want a balanced clear sound throughout the full range.
You might run into some issues, if you have nav, you'll need a processor to integrate into that, that chews up about half your budget before install right there. Also, power isn't just for being loud, it is for control as well, you have to be able to move the magnets on the speakers. You might want to find a dealer that does Audison Prima, is is a good step up from factory radio. Their amps have a processor built in for factory integration. Audison Prima
Old 09-28-2016, 01:00 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hi, not sure I get that, isn't that only if you want to change the source, the player itself? What if you just want a speaker swap + subwoofer to improve on the baseline system? (sorry i'm not super familiar with car audio)

Also I agree with power, I have a nice pair or Bower & Wilkins for home with a very premium system and yes, power means control. What I meant is that I don't play things too loud
Old 09-28-2016, 01:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I'm not sure yet how the stock system works, on my last truck, I wanted to use the factory head unit, but obviously not use the stock amp. So I need to clean up the signal from the factory head unit via a processor to get a clean signal to the amp and new speakers with sub. With the bose, they usually use odd impedance of the speakers, but I have no idea with the bose.
Old 09-28-2016, 05:03 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by alipor
I'm not sure yet how the stock system works, on my last truck, I wanted to use the factory head unit, but obviously not use the stock amp. So I need to clean up the signal from the factory head unit via a processor to get a clean signal to the amp and new speakers with sub. With the bose, they usually use odd impedance of the speakers, but I have no idea with the bose.
A good shop can overcome things like speaker impedance. As long as there is room to install the necessary equipment, you can extend the stock radio and make it sound pretty darn good. The source is probably good enough, so it's all about amps and speakers.