Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

TRUPHONE.COM for Audi Connect

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2016, 08:45 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TRUPHONE.COM for Audi Connect

Hello,

My 6-month Audi connect free trial will expire next week. Anyone successfully uses Truphone SIM card? If yes, how to set up the VPN on the 2017 Q7? Thank you very much!
Old 10-28-2016, 02:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 68 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by philctc
Hello,

My 6-month Audi connect free trial will expire next week. Anyone successfully uses Truphone SIM card? If yes, how to set up the VPN on the 2017 Q7? Thank you very much!
There is coding that will activate the sim card in the glove box. But that sim card will only provide you with in-car wifi. It will not provide Audi Connect PRIME services such as Google maps, google POI search, weather, traffic, etc. They have the PRIME services pretty well locked down with the current authentication protocols.
Old 10-30-2016, 05:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RickObe
There is coding that will activate the sim card in the glove box. But that sim card will only provide you with in-car wifi. It will not provide Audi Connect PRIME services such as Google maps, google POI search, weather, traffic, etc. They have the PRIME services pretty well locked down with the current authentication protocols.
I knew it would end up like this when the data provider became ATT. To me it's the Worst. Company. Ever.

It's a huge premium for getting PRIME services, which are not (that) data intensive.

With my 12' Q7 and T-mobile as provider Audi Connect plans were way more reasonable (well, they kept extending free trials) and not split into PRIME and PLUS. I'd take T-Mobile (or any other provider) anytime over anything from ATT.

My free trial ran out early October, so I checked if a switch to T-Mobile was possible, T-Mobile still shows up on the Audi Connect site, a useless customer service rep claimed it wasn't. So stuck with ATT, but as I'm still hoping for alternatives, I only extended my plan for six months.
Old 11-09-2016, 02:24 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

30$ a month for traffic and Google maps stinks. Mine just expired this week. Not renewing right away
Old 11-09-2016, 02:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Android Auto for me for the long run. I was told the Audi map will still work and it can be updated at the dealer.
Not finding much value with the in-car wifi, since my T-Mobile phone can be a wifi hotspot if needed for tablets.
Old 11-09-2016, 03:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 68 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Keyser Wi
Android Auto for me for the long run. I was told the Audi map will still work and it can be updated at the dealer.
Not finding much value with the in-car wifi, since my T-Mobile phone can be a wifi hotspot if needed for tablets.
You can update the map yourself with an SD card, even without an active Audi Connect PRIME subscription.

See this:
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-...-help-2908754/
Old 11-09-2016, 03:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks, Rick! That's helpful.
Old 11-10-2016, 08:25 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Mcdev
30$ a month for traffic and Google maps stinks. Mine just expired this week. Not renewing right away
What happens to the fancy in dash map if you don't renew?
Old 11-10-2016, 08:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Fancy dash map will still work and can be updated even with no subscription.
Refer to: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-.../#post24875888

Edited: just realized I am reiterating RickObe above. the credit goes to RickObe and discogone
Old 11-10-2016, 09:32 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Keyser Wi
Fancy dash map will still work and can be updated even with no subscription.
Refer to: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-.../#post24875888

Edited: just realized I am reiterating RickObe above. the credit goes to RickObe and discogone
So, using the navigation does not require an ongoing data connection. I thought it was Google Maps. It sounds like it is more like Google Earth because Google maps is only accessible with a internet connection. Do I have?

Quick Reply: TRUPHONE.COM for Audi Connect