Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

VW Atlas

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2016, 08:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default VW Atlas

Just saw photos of the new VW Atlas on the Autoblog website. My $70k+ Q7 doesn't get a stitched dash but this Atlas does? I know I'm beating a dead horse here on this subject but it's just aggravating to see. The thing even has a virtual cockpit.

Old 10-28-2016, 09:18 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why are people so hung up on having more animal skin in their cars? My 2014 Grand Cherokee (which I love) has a leather dash, I'm switching to the Q7 with plastic, couldn't care less...

What they really should be putting in high end cars is vegan leather (like the Tesla Model X has). I rode in one several times and it's great...

Go get a Jeep for $40K you really want animal skin dash... They're great cars.
Old 10-28-2016, 09:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Yarecki
Why are people so hung up on having more animal skin in their cars? My 2014 Grand Cherokee (which I love) has a leather dash, I'm switching to the Q7 with plastic, couldn't care less...

What they really should be putting in high end cars is vegan leather (like the Tesla Model X has). I rode in one several times and it's great...

Go get a Jeep for $40K you really want animal skin dash... They're great cars.
Agreed. More leather is a pain. The nappa leather dash and door in our old 15 X5 is why we switched to the Q7. It's so hard to maintain and it doesn't wear well. The Q7 has such high quality plastics that it's much preferable to me.

Also, this car isn't even officially released yet so we don't know what equipment the US will actually get (most likely not leather dash), my A4 doesn't even have that option and it's al a carte in the euro version. And the VW VC isn't anything new the Passat has had it fore a while in Europe, it's not as great as the Audi one either, but its where every manufacturer is taking their instrument clusters. The Atlas will compete with a highlander so don't expect it to be too great, after all VW owes Americans billions still so they're on a budget
Old 10-28-2016, 09:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Also, the interior in that doesn't even put a light to the Q7s, not even the mention the exterior. I'm paying for good design with my premium and I'm totally ok with that.

P.P.S. The VW VR6 is so underpowered for this large of a car.
Old 10-28-2016, 09:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love the material of the Q7 dash and would pick it any day over the stitched leather. Simplistic!
Old 10-28-2016, 10:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 234 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Mitchfin
P.P.S. The VW VR6 is so underpowered for this large of a car.
Maybe not. It's sufficient in the Touareg and I would think this would weigh less.
Old 10-28-2016, 10:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've had cars with leather dashboards and parcel shelves. They're great if the car is garaged but require a LOT of care if the car gets a lot of sun exposure.
Old 10-28-2016, 11:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

""Also, this car isn't even officially released yet so we don't know what equipment the US will actually get (most likely not leather dash), my A4 doesn't even have that option and it's al a carte in the euro version. ""

Actually this photo is from the Atlas official release that occurred yesterday here in the USA. It is being built in Tennessee mainly for the U.S. Market.

Some of you may not like leather dashes and that is fine. I personally like it. Also Audi advertised the car in it's brochures and on the website for a long time with that Euro dash in their images.

As far as driving a Grand Cherokee? Never. If I won one in a contest I'd sell it immediately, even at a huge loss. I find them to be unreliable, overpriced buckets like most other Dodge, Chrysler and Fiat products. Nor do I find their interiors to be anything close luxurious.
Old 10-28-2016, 11:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by pcaddict66
""Also, this car isn't even officially released yet so we don't know what equipment the US will actually get (most likely not leather dash), my A4 doesn't even have that option and it's al a carte in the euro version. ""

Actually this photo is from the Atlas official release that occurred yesterday here in the USA. It is being built in Tennessee mainly for the U.S. Market.

Some of you may not like leather dashes and that is fine. I personally like it. Also Audi advertised the car in it's brochures and on the website for a long time with that Euro dash in their images.

As far as driving a Grand Cherokee? Never. If I won one in a contest I'd sell it immediately, even at a huge loss. I find them to be unreliable, overpriced buckets like most other Dodge, Chrysler and Fiat products. Nor do I find their interiors to be anything close luxurious.
Correct it's revealed but not officially debuted. When the LA auto show comes and we have more details is what I mean, and knowing VW it's probably just leatherette anyways. This is an option on the Q7, it's not a $70k vs ~$40k argument, they're very different cars that offer a few of the same features that just happens to be cheaper in one instance (it's pretty east to mess up leather stitched dashes) and as far as we know it could just be plastic i.e.

Old 10-28-2016, 11:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by SYMAWD
Maybe not. It's sufficient in the Touareg and I would think this would weigh less.
True, I guess when comparing the VR6 to the fantastic 3.0T it would leave me wanting more.

Quick Reply: VW Atlas