Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Xpel Protection vs. OptiCoat

Old 06-29-2016, 06:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Xpel Protection vs. OptiCoat

So we just took delivery on the Ink Blue Q7 and want to obviously protect the paint and avoid swirl marks if at all possible. My understanding is that Xpel will protect against paint chips and the OptiCoat will add a layer of clear coat so we can avoid swirl marks, waxing, and help with the dirt sticking to the car...

I know that we can have both done for total protection, but do we need to really worry about the rock chips. I want to protect the car, but am probably looking at $2000 for both Xpel and OptiCoat done... Anybody have experience with both products and suggestions on what we should have done...
Old 06-29-2016, 07:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

You will find many good opinions regarding both products in this forum....I have both and am most content with my investment.

Simple advice with respect to chips: if your previous cars had chips, and you were bothered by the sight of same when you washed your car---then do get the Xpel.
Old 06-29-2016, 07:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Tour title is a misnomer with the "vs" (two different products for different purposes) but your post is right on. I did both and was the best investment I've made with a new car. Be sure to get the Xpel Ultimate - that's the best they offer and worth the difference in cost.
Old 07-01-2016, 09:01 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default opticoat vs modesta

I've had xpel ultimate + opticoat and modesta priced out:
"standard" expel package (front 1/3 of hood, mirrors, front fender - $895
opticoat -$850
Modesta $1500

Does the shine of Modesta warrant the double price of opticoat?
Old 07-01-2016, 10:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Which Opti-Coat? If you go with Opti-Coat Pro with the new Plus layer, you will have plenty of glossy shine and slickness. The extra Plus layer should add about $400-500 to the base Opt-Coat price.

Be sure you get the Xpel Ultimate film. Well worth the cost.
Old 07-01-2016, 12:21 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Opticoat pro plus is worth the extra money for darker colors because of the added gloss and depth whereas in lighter colors, opticoat pro is fine, at least IMO.

I did opticoat pro on my q7 because it is glacier white and opticoat pro plus on my xc90. I couldn't be happier with both applications.

I used to do opticoat 2.0 myself on previous vehicles, that was their consumer product which is now called gloss-coat. While the 2.0 was great stuff, the pro version available only to authorized shops definitely has better shine, depth and protection from swirls and etching.

Agreed as well when talking films particularly xpel, go with the ultimate version.
Old 07-01-2016, 01:33 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

has anyone used modesta?
Old 07-01-2016, 02:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

So what is the recommended sequence for this protection? Reason I ask I because I am picking my car up in LA and I want to protect it before the drive home to Seattle. So after I pick it up I would want to know what I should do first and next. I,already know not to let the dealership wash the car.
Old 07-01-2016, 03:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Dasaint
So what is the recommended sequence for this protection? Reason I ask I because I am picking my car up in LA and I want to protect it before the drive home to Seattle. So after I pick it up I would want to know what I should do first and next. I,already know not to let the dealership wash the car.
If you are going to do film like Xpel Ultimate, that goes on first. Then, Opti-Coat would be applied on the entire care including the film and wheels (but not the glass). The coating will cure overnight and you're good to go.
Experienced installers will prep the paint before film or coatings are applied. Even a new car will have some junk on the paint that needs to be removed before installation.
Old 07-01-2016, 03:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Paradox
Opticoat pro plus is worth the extra money for darker colors because of the added gloss and depth whereas in lighter colors, opticoat pro is fine, at least IMO.

I did opticoat pro on my q7 because it is glacier white and opticoat pro plus on my xc90. I couldn't be happier with both applications.

I used to do opticoat 2.0 myself on previous vehicles, that was their consumer product which is now called gloss-coat. While the 2.0 was great stuff, the pro version available only to authorized shops definitely has better shine, depth and protection from swirls and etching.

Agreed as well when talking films particularly xpel, go with the ultimate version.
The Plus layer does more than just appear much glossier. It adds a wax-like slickness absent in the Opti-Coat Pro which aids in dirt resistance and easier cleaning. I added the Plus layer a year or so after the original Opti-Coat and the differences are significant.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Xpel Protection vs. OptiCoat