85 UR quattro

Old 06-06-2016, 09:11 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks. Any pictures of the pieces in situ would be really helpful as I have the VAG diagrams like you are using but it doesn't show clearly where everything fits especially the vacuum pipes and electrical cables. Cheers
Old 06-11-2016, 01:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Waiting for parts (drums fingers on desk)

Decided to find some things we will need to do before the car is ready to fire up. Getting ahead so to speak. The hydraulic "bomb" mounts need replacing as the leaking oil has softened them up and they have started to split. Fortunately we bought some new ones a while back. A good time to replace them.

image by Team Illuminata Motorsport, on Flickr

Fortunately the nuts weren't too rusty and didn't put up a fight. Sometimes leaky hydraulics has benefits.

Uh oh! this must have happened in storage DOH. Let's hope they bend back without breaking off. Perhaps we should order a new one anyway.

Old vs. new. A couple are still serviceable. We'll keep them for spares.

And back together.

And on the engine. Yes, it surprised us too. Well, we had to put it somewhere and the dodgy spade terminals we bent back into place will be safer here than back in the parts box. It shouldn't hinder engine installation and one more thing done

Old 06-13-2016, 05:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by paredding
Thanks. Any pictures of the pieces in situ would be really helpful as I have the VAG diagrams like you are using but it doesn't show clearly where everything fits especially the vacuum pipes and electrical cables. Cheers
Get back to me in a few weeks/days/years LOL
Old 06-15-2016, 06:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Another update in less than a week. You guys must be feeling rather special now eh?

Just trying to find things to do while those damn heat shields arrive from Germany. Rummaged through the parts bins and found the old front brake lines that need replacing. Couldn't find any OE so decided to make these Centric ones look like OE by transferring the rubber rings over. What do they do anyway?

We actually had some we pulled off the 83 car. That one's getting stainless lines so we just cut the old ones which made getting these off quite simple.

However, getting them on the new lines was not so easy as they didn't want to expand over the fittings. Never mind, nothing a utility knife and some glue can't handle.

Wheel leave them to cure for a while eh.

We only need one holder ring so we cut one off. We decided to use the Centric one as our original ones are already falling apart.

Oh, is that the DHL truck?

Old 06-21-2016, 11:01 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

They look pretty good. I went with Goodrich st st lines on mine; made a big difference on the brake force. I think those rubbers are to protect them from chafing on the suspension parts.
Old 06-23-2016, 04:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They look pretty good. I went with Goodrich st st lines on mine; made a big difference on the brake force. I think those rubbers are to protect them from chafing on the suspension parts.
Hello,

how can a brake hose change, change your brake force?
How do you determine that a steel braided hose is better?

The myth of marketing on its finest and you felt for it.

Ciao

Werner
Old 06-27-2016, 03:45 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by wego0002
Hello,

how can a brake hose change, change your brake force?
How do you determine that a steel braided hose is better?

The myth of marketing on its finest and you felt for it.

Ciao

Werner
Thanks for you comments but I didn't fall for anything. I know my car and the brake force before and after the change simply from the feedback through the pedal. Have you tried them?
Old 06-27-2016, 10:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Uh oh!

Brake "feel" perhaps?
Old 06-27-2016, 11:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for you comments but I didn't fall for anything. I know my car and the brake force before and after the change simply from the feedback through the pedal. Have you tried them?
Hello paredding,

so you are talking about pedal feel/force and not brake force. You most likely had and have a better bleed situation (less air in the system) after you changed the hoses. That would explain a different feel of the pedal.

The difference between a stock brake hose and the so called steal flex lines in related to volume consumption in relation to the length of the hose. This becomes only visible on a plot above the 100bar line pressure range. So you can never feel it. A normal average brake apply is between 0.15 and 0.25%g.

I measured so many brake hoses over the years that I can tell you that all the advertised steal braided crap dos meet any OE specification nor the burst pressure requirements. You are much better of with a set of OE (ATE) hoses.

These are just my 5cent to this topic besides the fact that I am working for the last 25 years in the foundation brake industry.

Ciao

Werner
Old 06-30-2016, 05:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

When we last conversed we were finding things to do while we waited for a heat shield to arrive from Germany. Well guess what; it arrived, along with a few other bits and bob. we must say, it looks a lot better than what we pulled out of the 83.

It was quickly installed but as soon as it was on we thought "Uh oh, we might have to take it off to get the engine in" DOH! well, we had no idea what it looked like until it was here so how could we know it might be in the way. Oh well, another month wasted.

So, not to waste any more time we quickly started to pop the engine back in. It was a little tricky to lift it into place as we had to guide it around a lot of stuff (but not that damn heat shield as we took it off) but eventually it lined up with the engine and subframe mounts and we bolted into place, hand tight for now.

This is the first time it's had an engine in it since February 2015! We have so much more room in the shop now.

What next then? We guess connect as little stuff as necessary to fire it up while refurbishing whatever is necessary. Stay tuned.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 85 UR quattro