RS 7 Discussion forum for the Audi RS 7

Car key burglary

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2014, 10:36 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car key burglary

4 months ago I had my pride and joy (a brand new Estoril Blue RS7) stolen. The thieves broke into the house while I was at work, ransacked the place til they found the key and then drove off.
They lost control of the car and did £25k worth of damage to the wheels, suspension and shocks.
My wife was too scared to see the car returned (the police told her the thieves will be back for it) and so I had to sell it back to Audi.
I had only owned the car for 6 weeks and there was only 600 miles on the clock. I lost £15k in the resale deal.
A terrible experience that could've been avoided if I'd improved my home security.
I have now improved security but after the horse has bolted.
So I'm sharing this with RS7 drivers to be careful out there when your cars parked on your drive when you're not home.
Act now and not when it's too late.
Happy driving and good luck.
Old 11-04-2014, 05:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by frenchie_pm
4 months ago I had my pride and joy (a brand new Estoril Blue RS7) stolen. The thieves broke into the house while I was at work, ransacked the place til they found the key and then drove off.
They lost control of the car and did £25k worth of damage to the wheels, suspension and shocks.
My wife was too scared to see the car returned (the police told her the thieves will be back for it) and so I had to sell it back to Audi.
I had only owned the car for 6 weeks and there was only 600 miles on the clock. I lost £15k in the resale deal.
A terrible experience that could've been avoided if I'd improved my home security.
I have now improved security but after the horse has bolted.
So I'm sharing this with RS7 drivers to be careful out there when your cars parked on your drive when you're not home.
Act now and not when it's too late.
Happy driving and good luck.
Horrible. I am so sorry to hear that. But your advice rings true. All my cars are parked inside, and the garage is inside the 24-hour monitored security perimeter (ADT here in the US). At night, and when I travel, the spare keys are in the home safe.
Old 11-04-2014, 09:05 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Pale Rider
Horrible. I am so sorry to hear that. But your advice rings true. All my cars are parked inside, and the garage is inside the 24-hour monitored security perimeter (ADT here in the US). At night, and when I travel, the spare keys are in the home safe.
Well done mate. Is car key burglary a big crime in the States? It's big business here in the UK. It's happened to me twice now. Determined for it not to happen again. Very well secured now.
Old 11-06-2014, 10:29 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

My buddy had his Panamera Turbo stolen the same way in Toronto.

Story goes:

He and his wife hired a car service to take them out for anniversary dinner.
Driver commented about the nice Panamera in the driveway (his garage is tiny).
When they came back 4 hours later, the same driver commented that the car was no longer there (How the hell would he know if others were not at home that may be driving it).
When they got inside the realized the back door had been jimmied and they forgot to turn on the alarm.
Keys were left on the kitchen counter beside two brand new MacBook Airs, whent hey returned the laptops were still there and nothing else had been stolen from the house.

He never got the car back, but 8 weeks later (after he had a new car) the insurance told him they found the car in a container on the dock in Halifax, destined for China. His buddy is a cop and told him they suspected that the car service were the ones calling up the thieves when they saw "prospects"!
Old 11-06-2014, 12:23 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by VPRS7
My buddy had his Panamera Turbo stolen the same way in Toronto.

Story goes:

He and his wife hired a car service to take them out for anniversary dinner.
Driver commented about the nice Panamera in the driveway (his garage is tiny).
When they came back 4 hours later, the same driver commented that the car was no longer there (How the hell would he know if others were not at home that may be driving it).
When they got inside the realized the back door had been jimmied and they forgot to turn on the alarm.
Keys were left on the kitchen counter beside two brand new MacBook Airs, whent hey returned the laptops were still there and nothing else had been stolen from the house.

He never got the car back, but 8 weeks later (after he had a new car) the insurance told him they found the car in a container on the dock in Halifax, destined for China. His buddy is a cop and told him they suspected that the car service were the ones calling up the thieves when they saw "prospects"!
Wow! No way buddy.
Interesting story. So the same car crime is happening in the States and Canada. Arseholes!
Same with me, nothing else stolen, just the car. But they lost control of it and wrecked the wheels and suspension. Sad you can't own a nice car anymore without these risks.
Old 11-06-2014, 07:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

some people are real scum i tell you.