RS 7 Discussion forum for the Audi RS 7

Harmonic resonance?

Old 07-22-2016, 02:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I picked my car lRS7 with the performance package last month in Germany and I also hear a noise around 60 miles per hour. I thought the noise was coming from the top of the window. Thew noise is not there all the time. Not sure what tires are on the car.
Nelson

LIST][/LIST]

Originally Posted by gkendallw
Hi - first post... (sorry for the length)

I picked up my 2016 Sepang Blue w grey interior RS7 in June. Before ordering the car, I was able to take a long (40+ miles) test drive in the dealer's demo unit.

After being blown away by the performance and handling (and that sound!), I began to notice a harmonic resonance at various speeds. The sound is like someone blowing over a part-full Coke bottle. It became more noticeable the more I became aware of it and when I returned to the dealer, I raised my concern and the salesman took a test ride with me and he also heard the noise. When we returned, I told them I was ready to order as long as this was just an anomaly with this one car.

They offered to let me take the car off the showroom floor for another ride (which was very generous), but I opted not to as big storms were in the area and I suspected it would be hard to hear on the pouring rain.

So I put the order on hold pending a resolution. This was back in March and I was leaving for vacation and I followed up on phone. The salesman informed me that the car I drove had a broken belt in the left front tire and it had been replaced by the service dept and the problem had been fixed. I asked him to send me a copy of the service ticket to confirm that that had been the fix. He claimed that they don't issue service tickets for in-house repairs (red flag) but I could speak to the service manager. I talked to the service manager who assured me the problem was just that car and that it was fixed and gave me his personal cell # in case I had other questions.

At this point, I went ahead and ordered the car. Fast forward to June when I picked up the car and headed home. I got less than three miles from the dealership before the SAME NOISE started up! I called from the car and expressed my shock but didn't have the time to turn around and bring it back. The sales guy assured me that they would fix whatever the problem was. I was skeptical but still in love with my new car so I just drove it faster so not to hear the noise.

The dealer and Audi were great. We researched tires and they replaced the stock HiPerf Michelin summer tires with HiPerf All Season Continentals (20"). These new tires rode better and were quieter and smoother for sure. The only problem is that the resonance did not go away.

So when I had time, I brought it back for an overnight service call so a tech could take it home and try to resolve the issue. (side note - the 2017 Q7 they gave me as a loaner was a wonderful car!).

When I called the next day to see if it was ready, the service writer explained that there was no problem found. Not what I was hoping to hear...

So I took the tech for a ride and was able to reproduce the noise. He explained to me that that is a result of the very stiff chassis. He also said they had another RS7 in for service that day (for a different issue) and that it had the same noise.

All of this is a long way of asking the community here if anyone else has noticed this? (sorry again for the long post) Or is it possible that the only cars that have this issue came from one dealership? Or I am too demanding?

I love this car! But I fear I am going to be living with this like dating a supermodel only to find out she has horrible gas problems!!

Any input would be helpful.

Thanks.

GW
Old 07-17-2018, 03:25 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Same issue on a 2015 Audi A3 1.6 TDI

On my Audi A3 1.6 TDI I have the same issue, humming cyclic noise at 90 and 180 kmh. I changed the tyres, changed a bearing, but nothing solved... Did someone find a solution?