RS 7 Discussion forum for the Audi RS 7

Help: Daytona Gray Matte or Daytona Gray Pearl?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2016, 05:31 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help: Daytona Gray Matte or Daytona Gray Pearl?

I am very excited to be purchasing my first Audi. I am ordering a 2017 RS7 but having a tough time deciding between Daytona Gray Matte & Daytona Gray Pearl.
I am leaning towards Matte but wanted to see if anybody here can give me their advice/opinion on why they choose one over the other. Especially looking to hear from any Daytona Gray Matte owners (past or present) to tell me a little about how they maintained the paint or any major issues they had with the Matte. Also been looking everywhere for a picture of both matte and pearl daytona gray in natural sunlight side by side but can't find that anywhere?
I greatly appreciate any guidance and thanks in advance for any help you provide me! If you have either of these colors would love to see pictures of them!
Old 09-05-2016, 11:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

I love the matte, but given the choice ??

NARDO !!
Old 09-05-2016, 03:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

My AMG was matte and while it looks great and washing was a breeze...couple cons to think about:

1) Contaminants are problematic. Bird droppings, hard water drops, tree sap, even salt (Winter driving) can etch themselves into the paint making it difficult to remove. For non-Matte you just polish those out with a random orbital polisher, but with Matte you cannot do that

2) Any chips are difficult to touch up.

3) I missed polishing/waxing my car.... I know silly, but I really missed it

Pros was it is a stunner and keeping the car looking good was sooooo easy.

Last edited by chicagoA6; 09-05-2016 at 03:30 PM.
Old 09-08-2016, 08:19 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Mine is Daytona Gray Pearl lack sport seats. It looks great and is understated, as not a look at me colour. I think what's attractive in this car is its stealth. A subdued colour will fit it very nicely.
As for the driving experience it's an amazing car. In D it's a regular luxury car in S it's a beast. I bought mine off the lot, but if I was ordering I would've gotten the comfort seats they got ventilation and massage.
My two cents
Old 09-23-2016, 05:47 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Daytona Gray Pearl... though I guess I'm a little biased. Two reasons though.. 1) fly under the radar a little. The car is flashy enough as it is, I like the idea of toning it down with an understated color. Matte in any color just screams for attention. 2) I think it's reasonably tough to take care of a matte-finished car if you're **** about keeping your car perfect; especially if it's an everyday driver. Just my 2 cents.

Old 09-23-2016, 08:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Its a personal decision...

... but the matte finish is much more fragile than the traditional clearcoat finishes. More difficult to remove surface impurities. I have had three Daytona Grey Pearl Audis - the most recent is my current RS5 and have never regretted it. Stone bruises buff out easily and the finish is beautiful, even when not clean. The metalflake diffuses the light and reveals many colors.

Congratulations on an RS7 - truly a beast