RS 7 Discussion forum for the Audi RS 7

How to pick the best dealer. Should I expect any discounts?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2016, 12:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

The best way to approach a dealer is not by calling them or walking into a dealership, but by sending an email to every dealer in your area. That way you get in contact with their e-commerce manager. State in your email exactly what you want and ask for their best price. The e-commerce manager deals differently with customers in general. Obviously, there are always exceptions, but in general they know that people coming through the Internet are well researched and you are given less of the BS you are getting from the regular sales guys and more straight forward deals.

Having done European Delivery on an RS5, I learned a lot about the sales process behind RS vehicles. RS vehicles sold through European Delivery are subject to dealer allocation. Regular models are not, so European Delivery is a way for the dealer to sell cars above and beyond their allocation, but selling an RS comes out of their allocation, whether it is EU delivery or not. So, the dealer doesn't have much incentive to do EU delivery on an RS. Many refuse to do it, because it's extra paperwork with nothing in return for the dealer. In addition, RS vehicle are not eligible for additional dealer discounts. No holdbacks etc., so they are much less likely to sell you one much below MSRP.

To do a successful EU delivery on an RS, you have to find a dealer that is willing to do it and believes in the program. Out of the 7 dealers I contacted in my area, only 2 were willing to do it and I picked the one where the GM was personally coming out and sitting down with me to tell me all about how much he believes in the program. My original sales guy left while I was waiting for my car to be produced, so the GM ended up handling the entire transaction personally.

The other 5 dealers I contacted, either didn't respond at all or tried to convince me they had an up to 12 months waiting list and EU delivery was completely out of the question as they could just sell the car to somebody willing to take delivery in the US w/o all the extra paperwork. I don't think they were actually BSing me with all the tech money flying around in this area, there is no shortage of well heeled customers buying luxury vehicles.

BTW, this was back in 2013 when the RS5 just came out and all I was able to negotiate was $3k off MSRP by having the two dealers compete with each other. This included the $1k loyalty discount, though, so it was only $2k off MSRP technically. The second dealer actually was giving me a better deal, but I went with the first dealer, because they had already done EU delivery on several RS vehicles and could also guarantee me an available allocation, whereas the other dealer didn't even have an allocation at the time.

Last edited by superswiss; 02-20-2016 at 12:42 PM.
Old 02-20-2016, 03:35 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nelson007
Hello Martz,
Was that discount for a RS7? And was it for a EU pick up.
Audi customer service called me yesterday and informed that I would get 5% off sticker with a EU pickup and no delivery charge.
Thanks,
Nelson
Hi Nelson yes it was definitely for a brand new 2014 RS7 factory order (had to wait some months for it). Sorry I'm not sure what an EU pickup is, never heard of it here in Aus.

I've had it slightly lowered since these photo's...

Name:  IMG_3794.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  327.4 KB
Name:  IMG_3795.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  251.7 KB
Name:  IMG_3798.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  339.6 KB
Name:  IMG_3800.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  373.0 KB
Name:  IMG_3801.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  283.6 KB
Name:  IMG_3803.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  267.3 KB
Name:  IMG_3805.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  214.4 KB
Name:  IMG_3806.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  190.5 KB
Name:  IMG_3807.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  238.4 KB
Name:  IMG_3808.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  239.5 KB
Name:  IMG_3809.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  284.9 KB
Name:  IMG_3810.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  266.7 KB
Name:  IMG_3812.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  265.5 KB
Name:  IMG_3816.jpg
Size:  471.7 KB
Name:  IMG_3817.jpg
Size:  397.4 KB
Name:  IMG_3818.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  324.0 KB
Name:  IMG_3862.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  328.5 KB
Old 02-21-2016, 09:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Hello Martz,
Great looking car. The black wheels really accent the car. Did you order the car with Akrapovic exhaust or put on after market? I have them on my C6 ZR1, they sound great.
The EU or ED is where you pick up the car from the factory and you can use it for 90 days in Europe., than you drop it off at one of their locations.
Thanks,
Nelson
Old 02-21-2016, 09:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

I found a dealer that is willing to do a ED pick up. I have an appointment with him Tuesday. He infromed they do not discount any ED pck ups.
Thanks for the advice. I am able to find better info on this forum than I am with most of the sales people I have talked with.
Nelson

Originally Posted by superswiss
The best way to approach a dealer is not by calling them or walking into a dealership, but by sending an email to every dealer in your area. That way you get in contact with their e-commerce manager. State in your email exactly what you want and ask for their best price. The e-commerce manager deals differently with customers in general. Obviously, there are always exceptions, but in general they know that people coming through the Internet are well researched and you are given less of the BS you are getting from the regular sales guys and more straight forward deals.

Having done European Delivery on an RS5, I learned a lot about the sales process behind RS vehicles. RS vehicles sold through European Delivery are subject to dealer allocation. Regular models are not, so European Delivery is a way for the dealer to sell cars above and beyond their allocation, but selling an RS comes out of their allocation, whether it is EU delivery or not. So, the dealer doesn't have much incentive to do EU delivery on an RS. Many refuse to do it, because it's extra paperwork with nothing in return for the dealer. In addition, RS vehicle are not eligible for additional dealer discounts. No holdbacks etc., so they are much less likely to sell you one much below MSRP.

To do a successful EU delivery on an RS, you have to find a dealer that is willing to do it and believes in the program. Out of the 7 dealers I contacted in my area, only 2 were willing to do it and I picked the one where the GM was personally coming out and sitting down with me to tell me all about how much he believes in the program. My original sales guy left while I was waiting for my car to be produced, so the GM ended up handling the entire transaction personally.

The other 5 dealers I contacted, either didn't respond at all or tried to convince me they had an up to 12 months waiting list and EU delivery was completely out of the question as they could just sell the car to somebody willing to take delivery in the US w/o all the extra paperwork. I don't think they were actually BSing me with all the tech money flying around in this area, there is no shortage of well heeled customers buying luxury vehicles.

BTW, this was back in 2013 when the RS5 just came out and all I was able to negotiate was $3k off MSRP by having the two dealers compete with each other. This included the $1k loyalty discount, though, so it was only $2k off MSRP technically. The second dealer actually was giving me a better deal, but I went with the first dealer, because they had already done EU delivery on several RS vehicles and could also guarantee me an available allocation, whereas the other dealer didn't even have an allocation at the time.
Old 02-21-2016, 07:52 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by nelson007
Hello Martz,
Great looking car. The black wheels really accent the car. Did you order the car with Akrapovic exhaust or put on after market? I have them on my C6 ZR1, they sound great.
The EU or ED is where you pick up the car from the factory and you can use it for 90 days in Europe., than you drop it off at one of their locations.
Thanks,
Nelson
Hi Nelson, Akra exhaust was never available as an option here in Aus, ordered it aftermarket but I had the dealer install it as well as the wheels prior to delivery.
Martin
Old 02-22-2016, 02:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 81 Posts

Nelson, I think that you will need to order it if you want the Performance option. I doubt that any have made it to showrooms as stock cars.
Old 02-22-2016, 07:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

I think you are correct 19hole, I am going to try and get a couple of quotes this week. I never thought it would be so hard to buy a car.
Thanks,
Nelson

QUOTE=19hole;24779813]Nelson, I think that you will need to order it if you want the Performance option. I doubt that any have made it to showrooms as stock cars.[/QUOTE]
Old 03-05-2016, 03:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Hello Martz,
I placed a down payment on a new 2016 RS7 with the performance package, I am waiting for the comformation for the Europe Pickup as of now. My question to you. Was the roof of your car painted black from the factory or done afterwards? Did you have the glass tinted on your car ? My daughter wants me to change my (ascarti blue) to white like yours.
Thanks,
Nelson