RS 7 Discussion forum for the Audi RS 7

RS 7 Transmission ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2016, 08:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts
Default RS 7 Transmission ?

If you are motoring along at, for instance, 70MPH and you are in 8th gear, what happens if you brake "normally" (not in full-on mashing on the pedal, simply to slow down, for example for the exit ramp)?

What I am trying to determine with certainty is if the programming of the tiptronic 8-spd makes it a virtual identical twin to the DSG's (7-spd) behavior.

In the case of the DSG, when the shift mode set to "S" -- when slowing down at a moderate clip, the transmission will downshift multiple times. Previous "automatic" transmission did not "rev match," and the DSG does it so well.

In any case, what does the tip do in an RS 7 which I assume will be the way it will operate in the 2018 S4 I (and others) will be considering.

Thanks!
Old 08-02-2016, 01:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by markcincinnati
If you are motoring along at, for instance, 70MPH and you are in 8th gear, what happens if you brake "normally" (not in full-on mashing on the pedal, simply to slow down, for example for the exit ramp)?

What I am trying to determine with certainty is if the programming of the tiptronic 8-spd makes it a virtual identical twin to the DSG's (7-spd) behavior.

In the case of the DSG, when the shift mode set to "S" -- when slowing down at a moderate clip, the transmission will downshift multiple times. Previous "automatic" transmission did not "rev match," and the DSG does it so well.

In any case, what does the tip do in an RS 7 which I assume will be the way it will operate in the 2018 S4 I (and others) will be considering.

Thanks!
the zf automatic will not shift the same as the dsg. the zf is smoother at low speeds but will take longer to shift than the dsg. programming is entirely different as well. if you like and want dsg, don't get the zf automatic but personally i don't think they are that different in real life conditions. i can't think of a single situation where my zf automatic wasn't quick enough, it just doesn't make any practical difference imo.
Old 08-04-2016, 07:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by markcincinnati
Yes, my RS7 downshifts just like that when in S mode.