RS 7 Discussion forum for the Audi RS 7

RS7 Impressions - Car Just Arrived

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2014, 07:03 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up RS7 Impressions - Car Just Arrived

I used this forum extensively when considering what to order and it was really helpful. I thought I would post and give back.

I bought a Daytona Gray RS7 with the following options: Dynamic Pkg, Innovation, Drivers Asst., B&O, Alcantara, Media Pkg., 21" wheels, Sport Interior seats

Love the paint color - especially with the matte aluminum trim accents.

I did not get any of the optic packages, but in retrospect I would have gone with one. The front diffuser is calling for it. I did not get the Quattro logo on the front grill and think that was the right call for me, especially if you plan to use a front plate.

First impressions: The car is amazing. The fit and finish are perfect. The car has amazing acceleration, solid trans, handles well and feels very solid. However, it can be tame enough to haul the family around without anyone complaining. The back seat is a little tight for my son who is 6'2", but he can slouch down and make it work. Overall, it has exceeded my expectations.

From dealer visit to receiving the car it took about 2 months since I bought an existing production spot. Even that short time, it was hard to wait. This forum kept me sane.

I was coming out of a 2002 Porsche Carrera and a 2012 BMW 750 LI. I was looking for a little of both of those cars and I think the RS7 fits the bill. 4 door driver's sports car.

I looked at the Panamera GTS and the Benz E63. The Porsche was too expensive and had way too many buttons for me. Maybe it handles better on the track, but that wasn't my motivation. I was looking for an "Executive Land Rocket". The Benz was a contender, but the 4Matic wouldn't work in Chicago since its fixed at 40/60. During my test drive in March, I lost it a few times around the corners. I think Quattro with some snow tires will be fine.

The Dynamic Pkg. is excellent and is not too stiff at all - even with the 21's. In fact, its perfect. It closer to the Porsche that I'm used to and that's exactly what I was looking for. If you dial it back in Comfort, its plenty tame. I'm crossing my fingers that this version of the suspension doesn't have issues like the other RS models.

I really like the Alcantara headliner. With the stitching, it really makes the interior look great.

The exhaust sound is great in Dynamic mode. I love the gurgles on the downshifts.

Love all the electronic bells and whistles - far better than both the Porsche and Benz. HUD is a must. The Stop/Go CC should be nice - tried it out and it worked great.

The trunk space is also a plus. You can easily fit your clubs and what not in there.

The B&O stereo is probably not worth it. It didn't blow me away. The Bose in my Porsche was so bad and the BMW was pretty lame too. I had to take the leap. Especially if your source is the radio, you probably couldn't tell the difference. When using media, the sound quality is decent.

If you're on the bubble between the RS7 and S7 - I would definitely go with the RS. It is truly an amazing ride and its a head turner.

No plans for mods - just some tint and I'm good to go. I think its near perfect as is.
Old 05-12-2014, 09:05 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Awesome write up. I find the most valuable information comes from frank feedback from owners on the overall and specific experiences. Thanks.
Old 05-13-2014, 07:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Congratulations....are you in Chicago?
Old 05-13-2014, 10:06 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Yes - Northern suburbs. I bought the car at the Audi Exchange.
Old 05-13-2014, 11:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

I'm in I'm in Lincoln Park with your car's twin....
Old 05-13-2014, 12:46 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Great review. Congratulations on the car, use it in good health. I had a Panamera GTS ordered and drove the RS7, it blew me away. Now I am not sure which to get. Did you drive a panamera GTS ? If so, what are your impressions? Also is any dealer discounting the RS7 yet?
Old 05-13-2014, 05:54 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I did not drive the GTS. They didn't have one. The closest they had was the 4S. My main issue was the interior design - way too much going on with all the button lined up on the center console. Also the back end doesn't do it for me. Its also a bigger car than the RS7.

I liked the handling and ride on the 4S, but wanted the V8. I'm trying to offset my wife's carbon footprint with her Prius.

I sadly paid MSRP for RS7 - but still cheaper than the GTS.
Old 05-14-2014, 06:53 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I love my Dynamic Pack RS7 as well--- I think saving the 5900 on the B and O was right for me as I don't keep cars past 12 months and your statement summarized my thoughts on the bose vs B and O.

I will say that Dynamic mode is great but I use the Individual so I can turn down the steering and the suspension. I find that there is too much understeer in Dynamic so I use Auto mode and Auto mode for the suspension as well. Even here in the OC where the roads are good the suspension in Dynamic is far too bouncy. Auto mode is the perfect set up with limited body roll yet compliant over cracks and undulations.

What a car though!!! The throttle in Drive Sport is amazing; as if it was tuned already. I made the mistake on my first test drive back in December of not putting it in sport but my subsequent drives helped me decide on this car too.

Congrats, post pics if you can.
Old 05-14-2014, 08:16 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Vic55 -

Thanks for the recommendation on the setting for steering and suspension. I was playing around with it and I agree with your assessment. The Dynamic Pkg. is the way to go.

Do you know if there is a way to default the Car settings to Individual every time you start the car? My dealer told me it defaults to Auto each time you start it up. After starting the car, when I pull the Car menu up on the MMI, the Dynamic setting is underlined, but its clearly not on that setting by how the exhaust sounds/suspension/trans behave. Would love to set it and forget it.

B&O update: I played around with adding music to the SD card using a 256 bit rate and it makes a huge difference. Also, tweaked the EQ (base, treble, surround and focus). Its like a different stereo. In comparison to my Porsche and BMW, the B&O blows those away - but you have to use the right media format. Also, using Bluetooth to stream Spotify from my phone works great. It beats Sirius.

I'm trying to find a downside to this car and I'm coming up empty.
Old 05-14-2014, 12:25 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by HVerkoff
Vic55 -

I'm trying to find a downside to this car and I'm coming up empty.
After 45 days of ownership, I concur. The only thing negative I can say is that the car is thirsty, but that has everything to do with the way it's been driven - like a rented mule!

Quick Reply: RS7 Impressions - Car Just Arrived