RS 7 Discussion forum for the Audi RS 7

RS7 Impressions - Car Just Arrived

Old 05-14-2014, 07:36 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HVerkoff
Vic55 -

Thanks for the recommendation on the setting for steering and suspension. I was playing around with it and I agree with your assessment. The Dynamic Pkg. is the way to go.

Do you know if there is a way to default the Car settings to Individual every time you start the car? My dealer told me it defaults to Auto each time you start it up. After starting the car, when I pull the Car menu up on the MMI, the Dynamic setting is underlined, but its clearly not on that setting by how the exhaust sounds/suspension/trans behave. Would love to set it and forget it.

Interesting, once I set up my preferences in the Individual section the car is always set there after each restart. The exhaust changes even further once I put the tranny into D-S.

I think once you use the individual set up and lock in your settings the car will default to that choice.
Old 05-14-2014, 08:12 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Do you know if there is a way to default the Car settings to Individual every time you start the car? My dealer told me it defaults to Auto each time you start it up. After starting the car, when I pull the Car menu up on the MMI, the Dynamic setting is underlined, but its clearly not on that setting by how the exhaust sounds/suspension/trans behave. Would love to set it and forget it.
Ive been playing around with the Audi Drive Select on my RS7...

I think the settings are saved, so if one chooses Dynamic or Individual, the setting is saved when the car is turned off and restarted. HOWEVER, the sport setting is lost when the car is turned off, and has to be reactivated, no matter what mode youre in. Seems kind of odd to me, as Dynamic mode is much less exciting without sport mode. Is this everyones experience with their RS7s?
Old 05-15-2014, 04:17 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

sorry, what's sport mode? Is that clicking off the ESP?
Old 05-15-2014, 04:25 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by GTS00021
Ive been playing around with the Audi Drive Select on my RS7...

I think the settings are saved, so if one chooses Dynamic or Individual, the setting is saved when the car is turned off and restarted. HOWEVER, the sport setting is lost when the car is turned off, and has to be reactivated, no matter what mode youre in. Seems kind of odd to me, as Dynamic mode is much less exciting without sport mode. Is this everyones experience with their RS7s?
Reading other forums after I posted, it appears you're correct, the trans and some other setting return to auto regardless of Individual or Dynamic. This is for MPG and emissions ratings apparently.

However, there are additional posts about being able to reprogram the Audi Drive Select to force the defaults to stick. This is out of my league, but I'm curious if a dealer would do this or if you have to modify it such that it invalidates the warranty.
Old 05-15-2014, 06:33 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by markoos11
sorry, what's sport mode? Is that clicking off the ESP?

Its when you put the car in D and then pull it one more time towards you to get the mode D-S. This creates a more aggressive throttle and shift sequence and the exhaust opens up further than just dynamic mode in D (non S).
Old 05-15-2014, 06:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Talking

Reading other forums after I posted, it appears you're correct, the trans and some other setting return to auto regardless of Individual or Dynamic.
Hmmm...this is not my experience. I have my car set to Individual and all features set to Dynamic (except the suspension which I set on Auto - damn Chicago potholes), and it stays set that way when I restart the car. The Same was true with my 2012 A7.
Old 05-15-2014, 07:14 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by 60614allroad
Hmmm...this is not my experience. I have my car set to Individual and all features set to Dynamic (except the suspension which I set on Auto - damn Chicago potholes), and it stays set that way when I restart the car. The Same was true with my 2012 A7.

Does it also stay in sport when restarted? That would surprise me.
Old 05-15-2014, 07:20 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by GTS00021
Does it also stay in sport when restarted? That would surprise me.

The sport mode is reset because the car was taken out of D-S when parked or stopped. All my settings on the RS7 are stored and remain when I start the car after it was turned off. The only setting that doesn't stay is D-S. Each time I put the car into drive I have to pull it down a 2nd time to get it to change to S. If I drive the car and then stop and put it in park but don't turn off the car I have then put it in D-S again. But all my other settings are save under Individual.
Old 05-15-2014, 07:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Our cars must have been on the same boat. Picked up mine last week from Audi Orland Park. I am highly impressed with the car after my 1200 mile drive home. I did not expect the level of adjustability in the suspension. I have no idea what journalists were complaining about it being too stiff (implying that you are stuck with it), clearly no one showed them the car setup settings. Yes in dynamic it is but in any other setting it is very compliant. But the car handles much better. I expected it to be a set level of stiffness like my RS5 that does not adjust so having the range I am super happy with. This car feels like the RS that it is and brings me back to my RS6. I handles much better to me than the early RS7s that I rode along for hot laps in. The front rose up under acceleration and body roll was just too much to me...bus stop in the back straight at Daytona the car really rolled dramatically where my RS5 is relatively flat by comparison through it...this car will stay flatter and its just the weight transfer to deal with but I'm used to that. This thing is FAST. It is fun to be able to squirt through traffic again something that my RS5 is not that good at until you get the revs up or leave in in sport (and eat huge amounts of gas). The interior has many features I did not expect like the ambient lighting in the door insets. It looks great against my contrasting lunar silver insets. I did the wood/aluminum strips instead of carbon and I love it. I stuck with the Bose to save $$ on the car and its just ok but I'm not a huge music person. Its now with my detailer getting a paint correction and coating and full detail since I had the dealer just unwrap it basically. Clear bra in two weeks and next week if they look good I will post my solution for the carbon mirrors that I didn't get with my carbon optics by the time I reordered the car. I'm not paying Audi $4400 for them after the fact but what I have coming should be a great alternative.
Old 05-15-2014, 08:07 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Excellent. That works. Tweaked Individual and then shifted into Sport.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: RS7 Impressions - Car Just Arrived