RS 7 Discussion forum for the Audi RS 7

Who buys the RS7? Racer? Modder?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2014, 10:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Asochs
Just checking here. Caddy guys love the CTS-V Coupe and swear by its looks. They offer that the Caddy offers more car per dollar, gets stares, and is superior on these shores because of dealer network and availability of parts/service(less problems.) They also argued for less frequency of needed service.

Thanks
I guess that is just like if you buy a german shepard for pet, or buy aquarium and fish instead, just because it doesnt bite and eats much less and it is quieter and cheap. Also buying the Caddy automatically makes you 35 years older than you are.
According to me, saving on car is just like buying your girlfriend a fake bra, just because it does the same job as the good one, but doesnt looks as good.
I would never save on car!

On the other side the CTS-V its really fast but not a fascinating car. I drove the previous model once and it was fast, but would never buy it, and never ever buy if have to compare to RS7. RS7 is absolutism

Last edited by gag4o; 09-29-2014 at 10:35 PM.
Old 09-30-2014, 06:45 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Absolutely, non here gives any love to the CTS-V. Quite the contrary on the CTS-V forum lots of love for both cars.

I hear ya...but other than buying a car that makes ***** look nicer, give me something, anything other than looks. I'm interested in turning the steering wheel and logging tons of miles. I will spend much less time looking at the car than driving it. Any drivers in this room?

Last edited by Asochs; 09-30-2014 at 06:49 PM.
Old 10-01-2014, 07:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Asochs, I never thought of looks and driveability as mutually exclusive goals. But if you're really going to spend over $100k and tell me you don't care what your car looks like, well, that's up to you, but I think you're nuts. I would prefer to have a car that drives and looks great. I agree the Caddy sedan is slightly better looking than the coupe, but not enough for me to like it. I don't think the 7 "leans back," but by comparison to others, it might look a little more sedate. Not true of the RS7, though.

I've had my A7 for two years. Love it. Have had my R8 for a year. Absolutely love it. It's my DD. I have had several Audis, and liked/love them all. When I test drove the RS7, I felt like I had the best of both worlds. There are plenty of RS7 drivers here and at Audizine who can attest to their DD experience with their RS7. And there are great videos all over YouTube. I will say this: the RS7 is not a 2+2 R8. It's a touch quicker off the line, and even more responsive at high speeds on the highway. That was an eye-opener. But it doesn't feel like a 2-seat sports car with amazing weight distribution. The RS7 is a big girl, and even with DRC, she feels like it. But the DRC plus that engine is an amazing combo.

For me, after driving the RS7, and having driven the Panny, the XJ Super, XF, the Rapide, my pure performance choice would be the Panny, if cost and looks we're not a factor. But they are. I tried to make myself love that big rear end, but......kind of like you are with looks, I am with the Panny back seat. As tall as I am, I don't sit back there, and so it is less of a factor. The reason for that bulbous back end is not therefore justifiable to me. And again, for me, looks matter. If I was being chauffeured, I would do the A8L or S8 or Panny. But I am not. And I really dislike the way Porsche nickels and dimes every single choice. Base price is a joke in a Porsche. I don't respond well to that sort of manipulation.

All the best in your search!

Full Disclosure: no matter how good it might be, I would never buy a car from Government Motors. That's just my choice, it's a personal bias, and it's not a D or R thing. I just don't believe in government bailouts, regardless of what administration or party accomplishes it and for whom it is done (banks, cars, planes, etc.).
Old 10-02-2014, 10:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

I drove a CTS-V before getting my RS7 and the RS7 just felt better to me. Granted that is completely subjective, but it is what it is. I also feel the RS7 looks better inside and out. I hate the Cadillac infotainment system, again personal preference ( I prefer iDrive from BMW to MMI from Audi anyway). CTS-V is a nice car for sure. I would be happy with one, but for my money, I went with the car that invokes a different level of emotion every time I drive it, which is the RS7. It really is personal preference, and what is important to you in a vehicle. When you are spending 100K, it becomes more of an emotional decision than a practical one.
Old 10-02-2014, 02:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by nabizzy
When you are spending 100K, it becomes more of an emotional decision than a practical one.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^ This.
Old 10-02-2014, 10:19 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I hear you!
Old 10-05-2014, 07:45 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I would say the rs7 is not going to have rattles in 3000 miles and is a better safer car and resale value is night and day my busy swears by cts v and drove in my tuned s7 and wants a audi now he just loved the car being smooth on 21s and so quiet and obviously the power . If you want dollar for dollar go with the caddy audi is by no means a deal or a cheaper option compared to caddy but is compared to Mercedes and bmw !
Old 10-05-2014, 07:47 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Buddy not busy lol
Old 10-05-2014, 09:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I own an RS5 with the S tronic (DSG) and I can safely say the trans in the RS7 that I also own is as fast and nuts incredible, super fast perfect crisp shifts...it is not like any past Audi transmission (older tiptronics). This car is a pure beast. I am afraid just how close a run would be against my R8 GT. Besides a McClaren 650S and my GT this is the fastest car I have driven but unlike the other two its not a supercar its a large 4 door sedan. This will leave my RS5 from a rolling start standing still. But in defense of the 5 its a much more balanced and fun to drive hard and certainly track capable which mine has been abused with. The 7 is a luxury barge that just flies. I'm amazed everyday just how nuts fast it is and I have yet to really explore its limits. This thing is in another league than a CTS V but I will say it is not a track car. It could do it but out of my history of RS cars this is the first I have no desire to put on the track. Having driven the CTSV both sedan and wagon on a track for a few laps the cars are indeed very quick and handle well for their size. I drove them at a track I have a pile of experience with my old RS6 which being in a similar weight class the CTS Vs with the extra hp and well tuned suspension did extremely well and I know I had faster speeds at the end of long straights in the Vs over my old RS6. But design details, refinement, quality materials the Audi is there every time and especially with the 7. This car and its engine are worth every penny. The car is nuts fast...that's hard to explain. Even partial throttle inputs on the interstate you are at triple digits without realizing it. Effortless speed. The car needs the dynamic package (DRC) suspension. The regular suspension is too soft. On the modding a CTS V to be faster...well in my area there is already a 7 with just the tune it have 700hp at the wheels...its easy to make the next jump in the 7 to over 800hp. My car gets looks constantly. Its well loved. And not too snooty looking.

Last edited by MARKNMTT; 10-05-2014 at 09:57 PM.
Old 10-19-2014, 06:59 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by MARKNMTT
I own an RS5 with the S tronic (DSG) and I can safely say the trans in the RS7 that I also own is as fast and nuts incredible, super fast perfect crisp shifts...it is not like any past Audi transmission (older tiptronics). This car is a pure beast. I am afraid just how close a run would be against my R8 GT. Besides a McClaren 650S and my GT this is the fastest car I have driven but unlike the other two its not a supercar its a large 4 door sedan. This will leave my RS5 from a rolling start standing still. But in defense of the 5 its a much more balanced and fun to drive hard and certainly track capable which mine has been abused with. The 7 is a luxury barge that just flies. I'm amazed everyday just how nuts fast it is and I have yet to really explore its limits. This thing is in another league than a CTS V but I will say it is not a track car. It could do it but out of my history of RS cars this is the first I have no desire to put on the track. Having driven the CTSV both sedan and wagon on a track for a few laps the cars are indeed very quick and handle well for their size. I drove them at a track I have a pile of experience with my old RS6 which being in a similar weight class the CTS Vs with the extra hp and well tuned suspension did extremely well and I know I had faster speeds at the end of long straights in the Vs over my old RS6. But design details, refinement, quality materials the Audi is there every time and especially with the 7. This car and its engine are worth every penny. The car is nuts fast...that's hard to explain. Even partial throttle inputs on the interstate you are at triple digits without realizing it. Effortless speed. The car needs the dynamic package (DRC) suspension. The regular suspension is too soft. On the modding a CTS V to be faster...well in my area there is already a 7 with just the tune it have 700hp at the wheels...its easy to make the next jump in the 7 to over 800hp. My car gets looks constantly. Its well loved. And not too snooty looking.
Good stuff. Thanks. Love the pics of your three Quattros.

Quick Reply: Who buys the RS7? Racer? Modder?