RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

Approach to buying an RS4

Old 09-23-2012, 01:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey all.
Starting to looking again and spotted a nice 2008 Titanium Daytona Grey with only 32,250 km (20,000 mi).
They're asking $56,900. Canadian Black Book shows a base at $51,700. Not sure if it's still under warranty (waiting for a response from the seller). Getting excited...
Old 09-27-2012, 01:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by G35Dalf
Hey all.
Starting to looking again and spotted a nice 2008 Titanium Daytona Grey with only 32,250 km (20,000 mi). They're asking $56,900. Canadian Black Book shows a base at $51,700. Not sure if it's still under warranty (waiting for a response from the seller). Getting excited...
Just an FYI; I checked Ensureall for the above car and the quotes were around $4,300/year bumper to bumper. Not bad.
But the car was sold before the vendor got back to me so the search goes on...
Old 09-28-2012, 08:13 AM
Banned

Just an FYI; I checked Ensureall for the above car and the quotes were around $4,300/year bumper to bumper. Not bad.
But the car was sold before the vendor got back to me so the search goes on...
4300 per year? Did you mean $4300 for 5 years?

My friend just picked up a warranty from them on his Cayenne Turbo S for around $5,000.
Old 09-28-2012, 01:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by sakimano
4300 per year? Did you mean $4300 for 5 years?

My friend just picked up a warranty from them on his Cayenne Turbo S for around $5,000.
Yes for 5 years. Sorry and thanks sakimano...
Old 10-01-2012, 01:03 PM
Banned

I'm about to buy an ensurall warranty for my B8 A4 Avant (4 years old and new-car-warranty is about to expire)

may do the same with the RS4 when CPO is up in May 2014.
Old 10-18-2012, 12:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Sakimano, do you know if Ensurall will cover carbon cleaning?
Old 10-19-2012, 10:35 AM
Banned

Sakimano, do you know if Ensurall will cover carbon cleaning?
I reckon they would if you got a CEL and took it in.

They use Audi dealers for repairs. The Audi standard is that it warrants cleaning when you get a CEL.

I would make sure you have the top notch version of the ensurall warranty. I think the price difference is like 10-15%. To me if you spend a few grand on a warranty, you may as well spend an extra $600 to make sure you have the super-duper platinum (or whatever it is) coverage.
Old 10-19-2012, 10:44 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

[QUOTE=sakimano;24362024]I reckon they would if you got a CEL and took it in.

They use Audi dealers for repairs. The Audi standard is that it warrants cleaning when you get a CEL.
/QUOTE]

Are you saying that if the cause of a CEL/misfire is carbon buildup, the audi warranty or CPO warranty covers the cleaning? The dealer here kinda suggested that it didn't when I bought the car.

They also said it should be ok until 80K miles which I took as a 'not in writing salesman's promise'.
Old 10-19-2012, 01:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by sakimano
I reckon they would if you got a CEL and took it in.

I would make sure you have the top notch version of the ensurall warranty. I think the price difference is like 10-15%. To me if you spend a few grand on a warranty, you may as well spend an extra $600 to make sure you have the super-duper platinum (or whatever it is) coverage.
Agreed on which plan to buy. And thanks for the info... :-)
Are there any other symptoms that would "leverage" Audi into cleaning the carbon under warranty? (i.e. engine stumbling, poor acceleration, proof - data from VAG, etc.)
Old 10-22-2012, 07:48 AM
Banned

Agreed on which plan to buy. And thanks for the info... :-)
Are there any other symptoms that would "leverage" Audi into cleaning the carbon under warranty? (i.e. engine stumbling, poor acceleration, proof - data from VAG, etc.)
they may keep the car overnight, then start it up in the morning. They run really rough sometimes when heavily carboned up. Usually the problem is the carbon interferes with some of the moving parts in the intake manifold.

As far as performance/dynos/etc. they won't listen to any of it. Dynos can be manipulated to say what the dyno operator wants. Acceleration is tough to test, and their 'margin of error' is going to be so wide it won't matter.

As I have posted here before, my car has never been cleaned...and ran 12.75 @ 108.3 in the quarter mile, faster than any magazine ever achieved with pro drivers on new cars. Faster than any other RS4 owner with or without carbon cleaning has ever achieved on a stock car. My car had 35,000 miles or so on it at the time . So the point is, acceleration data shows there's not a gigantic difference. It will get dismissed by Audi.

CEL causing misfires or flap actuator problems is the way to get a carbon clean under warranty.

The only other succesful method I'd heard is paying to have them remove the intake manifold...and if they find a boatload of carbon, they clean it under warranty. Not sure on that though as Audi's position is that carbon is normal and not a cause for concern...so not sure why they'd agree to pay to clean. Other people have tried that and were told 'you will still have to pay, unless there is a CEL'.

The process for dealing with the carbon from Audi's end is to

a) do a chemical flush (which does nothing)
b) update your ECU file to run hotter (which does nothing)
c) give up and do the manual cleaning, which takes about 8-10 hrs in their shop. That is the worst option for Audi as it costs them about $350 at dealership warranty labour rates. They'd much rather **** around and push you off with a and b.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Approach to buying an RS4