RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

Cat back

Old 05-29-2015, 08:23 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went through a similar dilemma when I did my exhaust. Didn't like the tips on the Magnaflow cat back system and didn't really like the sound clips online. Found some tips on ebay that were the same dimensions of the stock system and chose other mufflers that I liked best. Found a used ECS H pipe and had it all installed at a local shop. All together everything cost me just over $500 installed. Got the sound and look I wanted for a fraction of the price of a cat-back. Thought about doing the dps, but breaking off studs wasn't worth the hassle for a little more sound and power you won't even notice. Not to mention potential leaks that just add to the headache. Maybe it's my age, but I'm done with the days of obnoxiously loud cars and I feel my setup is perfect for what I wanted.
These are the tips I went with:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/281381472415?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Old 05-29-2015, 09:15 AM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ELEVENS
Custom exhausts are a viable option IMO. You don't pay for any advertising overhead but you also don't get any product R&D which can sometimes end up being risky. With the RS4, the risk is drone. I think a crossover, in the "H" configuration, may help that dreaded drone-noise problem. Based on "forum wisdom" (an oxymoron), installations without a crossover can be noisy, and even "X" configs have been reported as droning at low rpms.

ECS's "H-Pipe" accessory is a center muffler eliminator. I've been running it for over 7 years. Reportedly, they specifically went with the "H" design after extensive testing with both the X and the H. It drops 10 pounds (I measured it), and a small power bump is advertised as well (around 5HP, if you believe manufacture's claims). Only $300 and it's VERY easy to install. Plus it retains the car's oval exhaust tips as well as the muffler flaps. So that's another option to consider. Good luck!

Thanks for the feed back regarding our H-Pipe! It really is a nice option if you're looking for a change in exhaust tone, want to maintain the OEM look and not spend an arm and a leg on a complete exhaust system.

Below you can find some more info for those interested.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Jason
Old 05-30-2015, 03:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Jason,

Does the ESC H-Pipe now ship with the clamps that are shown in the photo you posted? If so, that's great! They look like what I ended up replacing the old stainless steel strap clamps with. The salted winter roads up here in the Mitten state ate my strap clamps - twice!