RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

DRC issue - Audi refuses to achknowlege the problem

Old 04-22-2009, 01:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To the OP, this is what my shocks looked like 200 miles after they were replaced already once (before new part numbers were released)! No argument about sweating here, although the dealer tried at first...

Have a regional Audi tech come over to personally inspect your car. Your dealer either hasn't had any prior such cases, or is being really hard headed about this, which is wrong. If you have clunking, it is almost entirely due to low pressure in the system, or enough hydraulic fluid has leaked out (which too will cause low pressure in the system). A simple swap of the leaking shocks will do nothing unless they properly bleed, refill, vacuum and represurize the DRC system. From all the cases I know, given the revised part numbers AofA has authorized a full overhaul even if one shock is leaking (all 4 shocks and 2 central accumulators). You should get on a call with AofA Corporate if you don't make any progress with dealer (or try another nearby dealer).

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/alb...ictureid=94810
Old 04-22-2009, 04:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

^^ thanks for the info

unfortunate AoA keeps staying it's normal and they claim the dealer said it's within spec based on the "tsb" they provided the dealer with.

my only other option right now is the legal route which is what i plan on doing. i really do love the car but im not putting up with these clunks i hear. it feels like my suspension is going to fall out when i hit a slightly raised bump (even if im driving rather slow). there are only 2 dealers within 50 miles and it's hard to get them to reproduce the clunking i keep explaining to them.

this falls under a safety imo.. i will utilize my abilities to the fullest to get them to do something about it. i'm not going to settle for anything less on a car i paid $60,000 for.

they recalled the rs6 suspension but claim the rs4 is perfect.
Old 04-22-2009, 06:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

ask them what the cost would be to do the pressure test
ask them to observe and get a copy of the results

if it meets spec, you pay, if not they fix it...
that's reasonable
put it in writing

I would also send the pics to AoA with a copy of the letter requesting the test
Old 04-22-2009, 07:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

If the shocks look anything look those in the pictures, they're totally leaking and it's only a matter of time before AoA replaces them, or you find a different dealer who will replace them. Are there any others close by?

You will not likely be able to lemon the car as a safety concern, since the shocks technically still perform their function without fluid since you also have control arms and springs, and electronic sensors and stability control. If you go the lemon route do so for days out of service, since you're not near the number of failed attempts (3 or 4 depending on state). Keep in mind you won't be able to just let the car sit at the dealership while it collects the number of cumulative days out of commission. If they closed the RO, it's closed and the day-counter stops.

Also, for what it's worth, the stock suspension on these cars is not quiet. Even with a new, non-leaking, properly-pressurized system, I'll still get the occasional "clunk" going over manhole covers and certain expansion joints and speed bumps. It's the shock compressing under load, and/or hitting the rubber stoppers mimicking a "bottoming-out" effect noise of sorts. It's also temperature dependent. I almost never hear the noise above 70F and under 50F it can sometimes sound crown-vic-ish. Okay maybe not that bad, but it ain't whisper quiet.

I agree with the above post - try to get them to do a pressure test, and offer to pay for it if it's below spec (IIRC it's 16 bar, but that's a total guess). If it's within spec, then maybe discuss bleeding and re-pressurizing the system to see if the noises are minimized.

Sorry you have to go through this - for a $75k car it's a lot to ask.
Old 04-22-2009, 07:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Vijay
Bottom line is this.....it is a flawed engineering design. Period. If it fails, replace it with an aftermarket suspesnion. Spend the $2500 and be done with it. It is too much of a hassle otherwise.
vijay...what would you recommend?
what after market system offers the
same ride and control characteristics?
Old 04-23-2009, 05:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default at what mileage did your shocks leaked?

I am still refusing to accept that DRC will not be replaced under warranty. Many owners here have had their system replaced under warranty and treatment should be equal to all customers. period. I am pursuing replacement while I have warranty, after coverage, then it is a different ball game.

jmirandes
Old 06-02-2016, 03:30 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

This clucking noise from front of car is the bearing in the diff