Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 05:14 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks great!
Old 12-30-2013, 04:15 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well my goodness, what a nice piece of aluminum under the foam...

Old 12-17-2015, 04:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by cotmfk
Every little bit of weight savings helps!
Well I think so. All the time ppl are saying a few pounds lighter makes no difference and you'll never feel it, etc. etc.. With that mindset, they are probably right - because they don't bother at all with saving weight. Thing is, you have to nickel and time your way to a lighter vehicle. Many small things do indeed add up to measurable performance gains.
Old 12-18-2015, 08:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 141 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by ELEVENS
Well I think so. All the time ppl are saying a few pounds lighter makes no difference and you'll never feel it, etc. etc.. With that mindset, they are probably right - because they don't bother at all with saving weight. Thing is, you have to nickel and time your way to a lighter vehicle. Many small things do indeed add up to measurable performance gains.
I am not sure about that. I am one who has done this on many vehicles in the past. In some cases saving as much as 50 lbs. or so and never felt anything in the seat of my pants. The other aspect of this is where the weight is being removed. If you are removing 25-50 lbs. from one end of the vehicle and not the other, you are hurting the weight distribution. To me, unless you do it right and for the benefit of competing at the track, it's not worth it.
Old 12-18-2015, 10:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

"Worth" is somewhat subjective. I believe any weight savings is "worth" it, to any object that adheres to F=ma, which of course is everything, according to Newton. If the equation includes money, and you don't have any, then worth is at a premium. If you're wealthy, just about anything is "worth it". Weight, and weight distribution, most certainly matter on a racetrack. Yet, tracking the car is not necessary or a requirement to enjoy the many benefits of lower weight, such as reduced wear and tear to tires, suspension, clutch, gearbox, and brakes, as well as the benefits of increased acceleration and deceleration. Can most people "feel" a 100 pound difference in a 2-ton car? Nope, not likely. Can it be measured? Absolutely. Does it matter? Only if you thing it's "worth it"!!!

CHEERS
Old 12-25-2015, 11:15 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by ELEVENS
We all know our batteries will be dying soon, heck they're 7-8 years old! Check out this little replacement gem, PC1200T.. Odyssey is well know as one of the highest quality batteries available. It cost about $225 and the net weight savings is about 21 pounds. Some guys are very happy with the Odyssey PC925 which is lighter still, but I prefer a bit of a "reserve cushion" since I live in the freezing tundra. This little mighty mouse battery cranks the motor over very noticeably faster than the factory battery. The vent hose is retained, even though it's an Acid Glass Mat (AGM) sealed battery that never needs maintenance. Super happy with the choice. Also happy to ditch the "factory recall" aluminum frame in the battery area. I'm sure it's only purpose is to support heavy trunk payloads (which I don't do) and is not safety-related. Another 5 pounds baby!

Big Bertha (Factory battery) is 59 pounds

New Odyssey PC1200T is 37 pounds

Big Bertha vs. PC1200

The aluminum "recall" frame. I believe this is solely to support heavy payloads in the trunk. (Dead) Weight: ~5 pounds.

Custom hold-down made from 1/8" x 1.5" aluminum - about 9 ounces

Nice