RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

New RS4 Owner with a weird question...

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2015, 11:04 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New RS4 Owner with a weird question...

Good afternoon everyone,

I recently purchased a new 2008 RS4 Cabrio (Avus Silver) and thought I would finally go from being a lurker to an actual participant on the forums. I have to say...all of you have played a huge part in helping me make the leap from my previous 2004 S4 Cabrio to the RS4. Your passion, knowledge and experiences have been amazing to read and learn from.

Now I know many of you will probably snicker at the thought of a cabrio, but I have always loved having a convertible (even before reaching my "mid-life"). I also don't drive my cars on the track, so the issues around stiffness don't really apply.

While I am not embarassed about driving my S or RS4 cabrio around town, I am quite embaressed about the circumstances of how I made the purchase of this car...

I had not even really been looking to upgrade from the S4 to the RS4, but like most of you, spent casual time hanging out at certain websites window shopping. Recently, I saw a 2008 RS4 pop up in the same colour (int and ext) as my S4 with low kilometers at a reasonable price. After thinking about it for approximately 30 seconds, I decided to explore more seriously. The challenge was, this car was located in another province apprcximately 700 kilometers away. Needless to say, this was a new buying process for me and I didn't do the normal due diligence/investigation I would have done if the car was located in the same city. Long story short...although I had it inspected at Audi, I unknowlingly purchased the car modified. Forgive me if this is incorrect verbiage, the car came with: piggies?, a cat-back exhaust and a JHM tune.

The car runs and sounds great and my mechanic stated that it is well maintained and seems extremely solid.

So now my question, which comes from an innocent (read: ignorant) place, as I have never been someone that modded a car, so my comfort level and knowledge of mods is almost non-existent. Do I need to be concerned about these mods affecting the health and functioning of the vehicle? I still have an extended warranty with Audi until December, does this void my warranty?

Thank you for any feedback you have and thank you for all of the passion and information this forum has provided in the past.

Tim
Old 02-23-2015, 12:13 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I have the same on my sedan DPs cutback & jhm tune.(piggies are just oem downpipes with the pre cat gutted)

Originally Posted by Tryguy
Good afternoon everyone,

I recently purchased a new 2008 RS4 Cabrio (Avus Silver) and thought I would finally go from being a lurker to an actual participant on the forums. I have to say...all of you have played a huge part in helping me make the leap from my previous 2004 S4 Cabrio to the RS4. Your passion, knowledge and experiences have been amazing to read and learn from.

Now I know many of you will probably snicker at the thought of a cabrio, but I have always loved having a convertible (even before reaching my "mid-life"). I also don't drive my cars on the track, so the issues around stiffness don't really apply.

While I am not embarassed about driving my S or RS4 cabrio around town, I am quite embaressed about the circumstances of how I made the purchase of this car...

I had not even really been looking to upgrade from the S4 to the RS4, but like most of you, spent casual time hanging out at certain websites window shopping. Recently, I saw a 2008 RS4 pop up in the same colour (int and ext) as my S4 with low kilometers at a reasonable price. After thinking about it for approximately 30 seconds, I decided to explore more seriously. The challenge was, this car was located in another province apprcximately 700 kilometers away. Needless to say, this was a new buying process for me and I didn't do the normal due diligence/investigation I would have done if the car was located in the same city. Long story short...although I had it inspected at Audi, I unknowlingly purchased the car modified. Forgive me if this is incorrect verbiage, the car came with: piggies?, a cat-back exhaust and a JHM tune.

The car runs and sounds great and my mechanic stated that it is well maintained and seems extremely solid.

So now my question, which comes from an innocent (read: ignorant) place, as I have never been someone that modded a car, so my comfort level and knowledge of mods is almost non-existent. Do I need to be concerned about these mods affecting the health and functioning of the vehicle? I still have an extended warranty with Audi until December, does this void my warranty?

Thank you for any feedback you have and thank you for all of the passion and information this forum has provided in the past.

Tim
Old 02-24-2015, 06:51 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Good afternoon everyone,

Tim
It could affect the warranty depending on the dealer. Mainly the tune (any ECU changes can be looked at as affecting the engine - exhaust issues don't - though passing emissions is a separate issue)
Old 02-24-2015, 06:55 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Thanks!

Appreciate you taking the time to reply.
Old 04-28-2015, 09:28 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Forgive me if this is incorrect verbiage, the car came with: piggies?, a cat-back exhaust and a JHM tune.
Tim
Hey Tim; - Congrats on the purchase!

I'd say no big deal. Those three items are pretty common upgrades for an RS4. The piggies are less restrictive in the exhaust flow from the engine. Downpipes are the "proper" name - and they are called piggies when they are gutted - meaning that the cat material is removed from one or both of the cats. The JHM tune is a good one and is pretty common for the RS4 as well.

so, I wouldn't worry about them too much - however an Audi dealer may refuse to work on anything related to the ECU if they find the tune in there. I have read accounts from folks both ways where Audi refused to work on it, and others where they didn't care. If your warranty doesn't require you to go to Audi, I'd find a good indy shop that can do the warranty work without caring about the ECU and go from there. Piggies & Exhaust should not be a problem for the warranty unless directly related to those items.

If you are concerned with the mods, I'd be happy to trade my stock ECU/Cats & Exhaust for your setup

will