RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

New RS4.... problems already?????

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2014, 03:47 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New RS4.... problems already?????

Hello all New to the site and thought i would say hello. So i have been a audi s4 owner (01) and now a happy 07 rs4. So i purchased this car with 100k miles.I have been driving for maybe 150 mile total. at my friends house I moved my car started no problem. I was checking the air pressure and had to move the car I jump into fire it up and all i got was cranking woulnt fire ..... my friend hooked it up to vag and nothing, no codes he said the crank sensor is good maybe the fuel pump???? anywayz while he had it hooked up he tried to start and just cranked didnt fire. we were talking for a minute and he tried again and fired right up. i drove it home 1/2. mile and parked it. kind of afraid to be left stranded with my new car just cranking away. does this sound like maybe a fuel pump or relay issue? I have had the car literally for less than 24 hrs and this is my dream car puts a smile on my face just writing about it. I hope that it is a easy fix. I called the dealer and have a 30 day 100% warranty as I want to address this asap any thoughts from other rs4 owners would be great thanks and hope all have a wonderful x-mas.
Old 12-25-2014, 02:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Congrats on your new car and welcome to the forum. Unfortunately, I've not heard of that problem. I seem to remember seeing fuel pump pressure somewhere in VAG-COM, and I'm very surprised a code wasn't set if the pressure was low. Can you hear the pump prime when you turn on the key (but not crank)? Good thing you have a warranty, no worries then. These cars are remarkably reliable as a daily driver. Mine, and many others, have never failed to deliver. You'll get it resolved soon enough, don't worry about it. It's a very special car and there is nothing like it.
Old 12-25-2014, 06:20 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ELEVENS
Congrats on your new car and welcome to the forum. Unfortunately, I've not heard of that problem. I seem to remember seeing fuel pump pressure somewhere in VAG-COM, and I'm very surprised a code wasn't set if the pressure was low. Can you hear the pump prime when you turn on the key (but not crank)? Good thing you have a warranty, no worries then. These cars are remarkably reliable as a daily driver. Mine, and many others, have never failed to deliver. You'll get it resolved soon enough, don't worry about it. It's a very special car and there is nothing like it.
No i couldnt hear the fuel pump come on, my friend actually listened for it too.ear right to the rear seat. checked the fuse as well. We tried to start and it just cranked and cranked. waited a feww mins turned the key and it started like nothing happened. apparently the fuel pump came on but i didnt hear it before it did start. idk I WILL get it resolved thanks for the reply.
Old 12-28-2014, 03:43 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have had the same problem happen again and just thought i would let people know that i took of the lid to the fuel pump gave it a tap and little wiggle and wahlaa fired right up!!!!! must be the the sending unit no cel on either...
Old 12-09-2015, 09:19 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Sounds like fuel pump issue
Old 12-11-2015, 10:10 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Fuel Pump and/or Fuel Filter?

I purchased a '07 rs4 this past spring with a 100k on it and now have 110 and runs perfect, burns about a liter of oil in 3k miles. So 100k and these cars are just getting broken in.
A suggestion: if/when you replace your fuel pump change out your fuel filter as well. They say they are 'lifetime' but probably should be changed every 40-50k IMHO. And NEVER buy cheap gas. The best 91+ Octane you can get and not from any mom-and-pop joint either. I learned my lesson on my (now departed) Porsche Boxster S.
Old 12-13-2015, 04:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

higher octane is needed and beneficial in warmer weather to mitigate timing retard and the resultant power loss. Even 93 isn't enough. I used to blend my own 95 octane and that worked very good. But the additional aromatic hydrocarbons in the blend accelerates carbon buildup so I don't do that anymore.
Old 01-20-2016, 07:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK, delay in starting? here is your answer: starter.
My crank every time now. For two weeks (just got the car), cold morning can take up to a few minutes before it crank.
Old 02-24-2016, 05:55 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default starting delay

Another possible issue is the clutch pedal depress switch. It has to be all the way in, not "almost" there. This caught me a few times. And don't forget, just turn the key and let go, the computer does the starting. You don't have to hold it in the "start" position. Hope that helps.