RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

Repair time: weigh-in on my options

Old 08-21-2014, 10:08 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Repair time: weigh-in on my options

Had the car in (at 92.5k mi.) for an oil change and to investigate the latest round of symptoms...the diagnosis?
  • right front upper control arm bushings torn
  • front left and right shocks leaking
  • bump stops damaged
  • shock hydraulic lines rusty and dry-rotted

Dealer quote was ~ $2.5k parts + $800 (6-hr) labor (don't worry I won't be going there)

1. Get this fixed ASAP or is it still drivable (if so, for how long)?
2. Should I also replace the left front upper control arm bushings at the same time (as the right one)?
3. Go with OEM parts or does anyone have recommendations for alternatives?

Thanks in advance
Old 08-21-2014, 10:23 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by MA07RS4
Had the car in (at 92.5k mi.) for an oil change and to investigate the latest round of symptoms...the diagnosis?
  • right front upper control arm bushings torn
  • front left and right shocks leaking
  • bump stops damaged
  • shock hydraulic lines rusty and dry-rotted

Dealer quote was ~ $2.5k parts + $800 (6-hr) labor (don't worry I won't be going there)

1. Get this fixed ASAP or is it still drivable (if so, for how long)?
2. Should I also replace the left front upper control arm bushings at the same time (as the right one)?
3. Go with OEM parts or does anyone have recommendations for alternatives?

Thanks in advance
Yes to all the above. Delays can lead to more damage to other items. Are you going to do the work yourself or go to a Audi aftermarket place? I think the dsl lines require someone with experience and special tools (a very good dealer????)
Old 08-21-2014, 11:20 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default An offer

I have KWV3s on my 07 RS4 but was given a full, new OEM suspension as part of the suspension TSB. I just reregistered on the RS4 board to put these up on the marketplace (I used to be an active member under the B6 S4 board, going by the name of 04S4Avant), but am more than happy to sell them to you. I still have to take pics but everything is in the packaging from Audi. Let me know if you're interested and I will try to take the pics tonight or tomorrow to expedite. I'm located in north Jersey. BTW - I believe the cost of all the parts (including DOT fluids, etc.) are around $2000, but I'm willing to get rid of them for $1200. They're just sitting in a box in my garage for now!
Old 08-21-2014, 12:13 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by s4toRS4
I have KWV3s on my 07 RS4 but was given a full, new OEM suspension as part of the suspension TSB. I just reregistered on the RS4 board to put these up on the marketplace (I used to be an active member under the B6 S4 board, going by the name of 04S4Avant), but am more than happy to sell them to you. I still have to take pics but everything is in the packaging from Audi. Let me know if you're interested and I will try to take the pics tonight or tomorrow to expedite. I'm located in north Jersey. BTW - I believe the cost of all the parts (including DOT fluids, etc.) are around $2000, but I'm willing to get rid of them for $1200. They're just sitting in a box in my garage for now!
Thanks for the offer! PM sent
Old 08-22-2014, 04:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

What Reggie said. Do replace all 4 upper control arms. They are an expendable item on these cars. There are good and much cheaper aftermarket parts available but you must be very careful of make and even country of manufacturer within the "good" brands. Otherwise, you'll be replacing them again soon.

A lot of folk will advise to dump the DSC and go aftermarket coil-over. Realize that aftermarket will need regular maintenance (periodic rebuilds) and also could create a harsher ride, especially with stiffer springs.

My thinking is that DSC is one of the main signatures of this car. Yes it's very expensive but it's perfect on this platform in that it delivers incredible performance (evidence the amazing Nurburgring track times) while maintaining the quiet, comfortable ride of a luxury sport sedan.

One of the biggest reasons that owners go with coil-overs is to adjust trim height. Most commonly, to lower overall, and to drop the front so that the front/rear fender wells are even. I accomplished exactly that with 100% Audi parts for about $1000 which included springs, bump stops, sway bars, and brackets/hardware. It's called the Euro-only SuperSport Plus suspension opion, and it lowered my car about 10mm. Additionally, I installed B5S4 front spring perches which dropped the front another 1/2" or so to match the rear. Whala! The pic is my car with 18" winter tires and wheels but will give you a clue on the trim height.
Attached Images  
Old 08-22-2014, 09:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Just want to confirm in my own brain, lol. By DSC you mean, DRC right? (at least that's what I remember Audi labelling it). Thanks.

And my plan, when it comes time, is to remove the DRC and update to KWV3's. S4toRS4 is offering a nice deal.

It's expensive to maintain the DRC's and will become more so as time goes on - not too many Audi's have DRC and few dealers have the tools or the knowhow to deal with them.

BTW, where are you going to do it? You'll need specialized tools to recharge the DRC system, so it's highly unlikely to be a DIY job. See: Audi Workshop Manuals > A5 > Running gear, front-wheel drive and four-wheel drive > Self-levelling air spring system > Dynamic Ride Control (DRC)

and: http://docs.kwsuspension.de/eah25310051.pdf

Reggie and ELEVENS know what they're talking about btw... listen to them... :-)

Last edited by G35Dalf; 08-22-2014 at 09:36 PM.
Old 08-23-2014, 03:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes I meant DRC not DSC. I suppose DSC is a carry-over in my cobwebbed brain from owning BMW's

Lots of guys are very happy with coil-overs. I may well do things differently if/when faced with an expensive DRC failure.

Thank for the kind words G35Dalf. Me and Reggie have owned these cars since new, which for me was 2006 so we've been around the block a few times.
Old 08-23-2014, 09:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 141 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by ELEVENS
Me and Reggie have owned these cars since new, which for me was 2006 so we've been around the block a few times.
Me too. I bought mine new 11/06 and now have 37k miles and the car is all stock. Everything is perfect except for the shocks. They were replaced at 15k under the recall, but they are already shot now. I hesitate to go with coilovers because:

1- I don't really want to lower the car more than about 10 mm (3/8")
2- I don't really want to end-up with a firmer/stiffer ride

Having said that, we can all get Bilstein replacement shocks and keep the springs, but high-pressure monotube gas shocks tend to raise cars by a bit (~1/4"). So, my dilemma continues for now.
Old 08-25-2014, 01:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for the info and opinions guys...I'd like to stick with the DRC (for now) so most likely will try to procure s4toRS4's suspension kit and purchase any remaining parts needed for the repairs. I'll have to call around to see who can do the repairs but it wouldn't surprise me if I have to go to the dealer to get it done (will bring all my own parts tho).
Old 08-25-2014, 05:14 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Just uploaded pics of the suspension parts in my photo album. Sent a PM as well.