RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

Troubleshooting Help Requested

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2016, 07:32 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Troubleshooting Help Requested

I was hoping some of the knowledgable folks on this board could help me figure out what's preventing my car from starting. After sitting in a (non-heated) garage for 1.5 mos, I fired the car up Saturday afternoon and drove it around/let it run for about 1.5 hrs to charge the battery. Then it sat for two nights, during which the ambient temp went down to -22 and -17 degrees F on Saturday and Sunday nights, respectively. When I went out to fire it up on Monday am (ambient temp was ~-10 when I tried to start it), it wouldn't crank, though the accessories/lights turned on (I turned them off before I tried to crank it). I noticed that the car was giving me the "depress clutch to start engine" notification even when I had the clutch in. I tried moving the clutch in and out several times, but the notification stayed on. My question is, is this a simple case of insufficient battery charge, or is the clutch switch broken, in which case I need to call a flatbed. You might say "attach some jumper cables and find out...", which is a perfectly reasonable suggestion, and I will when I have access to the car again, but I want to see if the clutch switch is truly a viable culprit so I can line up the flatbed if need be.

Many thanks and apologies for the longish post.
Old 02-20-2016, 09:47 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Tabstrat57
I was hoping some of the knowledgable folks on this board could help me figure out what's preventing my car from starting. After sitting in a (non-heated) garage for 1.5 mos, I fired the car up Saturday afternoon and drove it around/let it run for about 1.5 hrs to charge the battery. Then it sat for two nights, during which the ambient temp went down to -22 and -17 degrees F on Saturday and Sunday nights, respectively. When I went out to fire it up on Monday am (ambient temp was ~-10 when I tried to start it), it wouldn't crank, though the accessories/lights turned on (I turned them off before I tried to crank it). I noticed that the car was giving me the "depress clutch to start engine" notification even when I had the clutch in. I tried moving the clutch in and out several times, but the notification stayed on. My question is, is this a simple case of insufficient battery charge, or is the clutch switch broken, in which case I need to call a flatbed. You might say "attach some jumper cables and find out...", which is a perfectly reasonable suggestion, and I will when I have access to the car again, but I want to see if the clutch switch is truly a viable culprit so I can line up the flatbed if need be.

Many thanks and apologies for the longish post.
How old is the battery. These cars are at the age of replacing them so even if it is the switch you need to do it anyway