S4 (B6 & B7 Platforms) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi S4 produced from 2003-2005 And B7 Audi S4 produced from 2005 -2008

2004 B6 Audi S4, purchase or no?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2016, 10:14 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 B6 Audi S4, purchase or no?

Hello!

Looking at buying my first Audi and my first car. My neighbors offered to sell me their 2004 B6 S4 for $1,000. When I took it down to a local shop for the vehicle to be checked out, they told me it would need the following repairs:

Timing chain
Drive shaft
And motor mounts

They're still working out the estimate. Is this a good buy, even with the repairs?

Thanks in advance
Old 04-13-2016, 01:03 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Serious piece of car, highly expensive to run and can get you into an enormous amount of grief real quick, not a first car recommendation yet something wonderful to aspire to. Learn to drive very very well before you buy one of these as there are others on the road to consider.
Old 04-13-2016, 08:00 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I would say it depends on the mileage, condition inside and out, and service history. You are looking at close to $9000+ in the listed repairs already. If the car is high mileage, then I say it is not worth it, unless you don't care about getting any of that money back if you plan to re-sell later. I love my B6 S4 Avant, but it is an expensive love affair, totally worth it to me!!
Old 04-15-2016, 05:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Don't do it! A local repair shop owner describes German cars as "missiles aimed directly at your billfold." Start off with something that doesn't have to potential to break your bank account. One the most injurious vehicles I've ever owned started as a gift.
Old 04-22-2016, 02:19 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default depends on your wallet

I love my B6 S4, but it is expensive to run and repair.

For example the best I get for fuel economy is 20 mpg and my car burns around a quart every 1k miles. This adds up especially if your driving 100 miles a day like me.

I had a lean issue with my car and spent almost $1000 just to find out it was clogged pre-cats that would have cost me nothing to do myself.

Timing chains are a known issue, please research it as it is well documented. It might not NEED it despite the mechanic's intuition.

This all being said for $1000, if it's not totally destroyed and running ok, this will be the most fun car you could buy for that money I almost guarantee it. I would skip the timing chain service for a car this cheap if it's not throwing timing codes already.

Where is the car located, maybe one of the enthusiast would be willing to take a first hand look.
Old 05-14-2016, 02:16 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hello guys!

Sorry for not replying, been extremely busy finishing up high school and working my *** off. Ended up buying the car

So some quick info about me. I'm a private pilot, and have been driving since I was fifteen (13 if you count driving tractors.) Vehicles I have driven; 2007 Ford F-150 automatic tranny, 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX automatic tranny with tachometer, and a completely tricked out, lifted, rebuilt interior and motor, and off road rigged 1994 Toyota 4runner, manual tranny. All of these were family cars, this is my first car purchase. Reason I haven't brought my own car even though I'm eighteen is my family moves a lot.

Anyways, the S4 I ended up buying is an 04 B6, yellow, manual tranny. 145,000 miles, interior is in excellent shape, has been really well maintained.

The mechanic we took it too is a family friend, and quoted us at 'Friend's discount' of $4000 grand for everything. Guaranteed, not a dime more, If it did cost a dime more, he would pay for it. Really experienced guy, has been working on Audi's for twenty-something years. Told me that if I didn't buy the car, since everything besides aforementioned items is in such good shape, he would buy it, fix it, and sell it haha. He also said the items need to be fixed soon, simply because the chain rattle became audible about three months ago upon start up.

So yeah, brought and I've really been enjoying it. Excellent car, has handled everything the weather has thrown at it, and super fun to drive. alo, how good is Audi with freaking trunkspace?

Photo attached.

Cheers,

Moa
Old 05-17-2016, 09:50 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Love that color!!
Old 05-25-2016, 06:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats man, beautiful car!!!

Originally Posted by MoaAudi
Hello guys!

Sorry for not replying, been extremely busy finishing up high school and working my *** off. Ended up buying the car

So some quick info about me. I'm a private pilot, and have been driving since I was fifteen (13 if you count driving tractors.) Vehicles I have driven; 2007 Ford F-150 automatic tranny, 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX automatic tranny with tachometer, and a completely tricked out, lifted, rebuilt interior and motor, and off road rigged 1994 Toyota 4runner, manual tranny. All of these were family cars, this is my first car purchase. Reason I haven't brought my own car even though I'm eighteen is my family moves a lot.

Anyways, the S4 I ended up buying is an 04 B6, yellow, manual tranny. 145,000 miles, interior is in excellent shape, has been really well maintained.

The mechanic we took it too is a family friend, and quoted us at 'Friend's discount' of $4000 grand for everything. Guaranteed, not a dime more, If it did cost a dime more, he would pay for it. Really experienced guy, has been working on Audi's for twenty-something years. Told me that if I didn't buy the car, since everything besides aforementioned items is in such good shape, he would buy it, fix it, and sell it haha. He also said the items need to be fixed soon, simply because the chain rattle became audible about three months ago upon start up.

So yeah, brought and I've really been enjoying it. Excellent car, has handled everything the weather has thrown at it, and super fun to drive. alo, how good is Audi with freaking trunkspace?

Photo attached.

Cheers,

Moa
Old 06-21-2016, 11:00 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by rynpllck
I love my B6 S4, but it is expensive to run and repair.

For example the best I get for fuel economy is 20 mpg and my car burns around a quart every 1k miles. This adds up especially if your driving 100 miles a day like me.

I had a lean issue with my car and spent almost $1000 just to find out it was clogged pre-cats that would have cost me nothing to do myself.

Timing chains are a known issue, please research it as it is well documented. It might not NEED it despite the mechanic's intuition.

This all being said for $1000, if it's not totally destroyed and running ok, this will be the most fun car you could buy for that money I almost guarantee it. I would skip the timing chain service for a car this cheap if it's not throwing timing codes already.

Where is the car located, maybe one of the enthusiast would be willing to take a first hand look.
You said you were having the lean issue.. Was it one sided? Or 171 and 174 codes?