S4 (B6 & B7 Platforms) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi S4 produced from 2003-2005 And B7 Audi S4 produced from 2005 -2008

2005 s4 ac diagnostics

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 11:12 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 s4 ac diagnostics

Hello fellow Audi owners,
My 2005 S4 stopped producing cold air. It's now even cool. Was on my way to Mexico and a/c stopped working. Stopped in some small town and finally found a place with some r 134a which I tried to fill but maybe about 1/2 the can went in...months later I finally get some manifold guages and check the hi and low pressures. I figured the "parts replacer" I bought the car from did didn't do a good job putting the ac back together. So I was surprised when I saw that when the car was off the hi and low matched at about 70 psi.

I had the constant econ button light took apart front to get to high pressure sensor tested that by applying pressure and checked for any voltage. Why do some places/catalogs refer to it as a high pressure sensor/thrust sensor?

Get that back in charge system with a can of r134a and am now able to get the econ light to go out. The drivers side fan kicks on but I don't notice any change in speeds. Can't get the passenger side to even turn.

The manifold guages show no to very minute change, which could be my hopeful eyes. At most 1 psi when the ac is turned on. When the ac is turned on I can feel a slight vibration in the engine and here a small change but no real change in guage readings and no cold air.

I tried locating the compressor from the top and when it was on jacks from the bottom and I just can't figure out where it is located. Well I know where it's located but I can't seem to find it. How do I find it? Even tried at night with a black light but no luck there either. Someone talked about a plate on the cover but I can't find that either.

So my question, finally, is are the pressure readings good or do I need to charge it some more to get the other fan to kick on? How do I locate the compressor? How do I narrow it down a bad compressor? If the drivers side fan is busted will that stop the ac from engaging? What other trouble shooting steps should I take?

Thanks for any assistance.
Old 04-29-2015, 05:34 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I put her back on jacks and i just can't figure out how to see the compressor. Anyone ever do this before?
Old 04-29-2015, 06:47 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

When I bought my s4 the washer fluid would leak if you filled it about 3/4. While trying to work on the ac figured I'd look at that also. Have the top part lose but there is a hose underneath the washer fluid storage. Have the felt like part above the wheel off and can see the windshield washer fluid motor and another storage. Can I pull that hose between them without damaging anything.
Thanks again.
Old 05-06-2015, 09:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

it appears to me your compressor has failed due to overheating as one radiator fan was not working to lower heat/pressure.
the compressor is located under the exhaust manifold on the driver's side, is driven by a shaft that connects to the rear of the engine.
Old 05-11-2015, 03:40 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by s4master1
it appears to me your compressor has failed due to overheating as one radiator fan was not working to lower heat/pressure.
the compressor is located under the exhaust manifold on the driver's side, is driven by a shaft that connects to the rear of the engine.
Thank you very much. Will return the manifold gauges since replacing the compressor is not something I would even think of doing.