S4 (B6 & B7 Platforms) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi S4 produced from 2003-2005 And B7 Audi S4 produced from 2005 -2008

Faulty Ignition Lock Cylinder or what?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2016, 08:30 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Faulty Ignition Lock Cylinder or what?

Hey all, first post on this forum. If I'm in the wrong area, tell me how to move it/ and where to move it and I gladly will.
Let me start off by saying, buying an 05 Audi S4 with 130k miles was definitely a risk with well known timing chain issues, but I went with it anyways.
It's treated me good for a month and a half now.

I was driving around 35/40 coming home yesterday and lost power when accelerating, and the car jerked all the way home (which wasn't even 5 minutes away, else I'd have it towed).
I tried starting it after I got home to see what was wrong and it wouldn't turn over, just crank.
I assumed it was the coil packs with the loss of power while accelerating so I swapped out all 8 coil packs (mainly because I wasn't sure when the last owner did and I had the time to do it), and still no start.
I then put 8 new sparkplugs in, and still no start only cranking.
When I put the key in the ignition and move it to the on position, the lights come on, but I hear a click (spark?) noise come from the hood. I try starting the car and it doesn't turn over, still just cranks EXCEPT that when I move the key back to the on position, the ignition lock cylinder locks the cylinder from starting the car unless I move the key back to the insert position and take it out and put it back in.
In other words, the 1st position being off, the 2nd position being on and the 3rd position being cranking, I can go from 1 to 2 to 3, but when I go back from 3 to 2 it locks 3.

Any thoughts? The faster the answers the better, because I'm judging at a car show this Sunday and would love to bring my own car.

Thanks in advance, and sorry again if this is in the wrong section.
Old 05-23-2016, 06:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi and congratulations on getting the car, I also got mine 2 months ago and could not be any happier
1. Check the codes (VAG-COM), this will likely tell you a lot about what is going on
2. About "In other words, the 1st position being off, the 2nd position being on and the 3rd position being cranking, I can go from 1 to 2 to 3, but when I go back from 3 to 2 it locks 3. " this is how the car is designed, I assume to prevent that after you have started it (2->3) you should not be able to do it again (and damage the starter/other stuff) unless you go to 1.

If you were around LA I'd gladly let you use my rosstech cable, but you can try to find someone around your area who could help you out or best is to buy one - it does wonders for our cars