S4 (B6 & B7 Platforms) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi S4 produced from 2003-2005 And B7 Audi S4 produced from 2005 -2008

Front caliper removal?

Old 05-08-2004, 01:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front caliper removal?

Anyone know how to remove the front calipers to change the pads? They look like they swing up or toward the rear. I've removed the outer clip but there must be something else.
Old 05-08-2004, 03:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: Front caliper removal?

1) Secure brake disc with one wheel bolt
2) Use a screwdriver to pry off brake pad retaining spring from brake caliper housing and remove.
3) Unplug connector for brake pad wear indicator
4) Turn connector 90while using a screwdriver to release connector from retainer.
5) Pull connector upward out of retainer and detach wire.
6) Detach brake line from retainer.
7) Remove protective caps
8) Remove both guide pins from brake caliper.
9) Take off brake caliper housing and lay to one side so that the weight of brake caliper does not stress or damage brake hose.
10) Take brake pads out of brake caliper housing or from brake carrier.
11) Press piston back.
12) Insert brake pad with retaining spring and wear indicator in brake caliper housing
13) Install outer brake pad -2- to brake caliper.
14) Use both guide pins (tighten to 30 Nm) to secure brake caliper housing to brake carrier.
15) Make sure not to twist brake hose when installing.
16) Fit both protective caps.
17) Insert retaining spring into brake caliper housing.
18) Engage brake pipe.
19) Connect wear indicator connector and insert wire in dust cap and protective cap.

note: Tightening torque: 120 Nm (89 ft lb) & of course bleed the brakes etc...
Old 05-08-2004, 05:30 PM

Default Wow - almost word for word from the Bentley docs :) No pics too?

Nuthin wrong with this - I like to encourage dissemination of information on how to play with our cars.....
Old 05-08-2004, 05:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default lol if it aint broke dont fix it...

removed the caliper when i had the car up on a lift and followed the manual and it was easy, no reason to change what works. Plus I am lazy so no pics for you. LOL god I hate homework
Old 05-08-2004, 05:33 PM

Default What did you use for a tool in step 11 to open the pistons?

That tool they show is different than the ones I have seen in the past.
Old 05-08-2004, 05:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default well i didnt take everything apart...

my mechanic wanted to take a closer look at them. Probably did some things wrong, at least we bled the brakes. I then turned to him and said "So you wanna drain it and put good fluid in" He told me to go home :-) I am thinking about putting on new pads so i need to either buy the VAG tool specified or find something that works. Do you know if there are any aftermarket pads for our cars yet?
Old 05-08-2004, 05:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default anyother question for ya...

If I was to do steel brake lines, AP Racing brake fluid and put mintex pads on stock calipers and do the upgraded statis roters do you think that would be good? I am thinking about the full AP racing kit but they dont think they will be ready for 6 months now. Given the good performance of the stock brakes the upgrading of the roters for better cooling and of course the brake pads ( and the rest for good measure). What do you think?
Old 05-08-2004, 05:54 PM

Default I haven't seen anything yet, but I have served notice to several vendors/tuners

that I am more than slightly interested in whatever they can come up with for a high temp pad. Apparently these aren't brakes that anyone else has been using on other VW/Audi/Porsche platforms, so the pad design is unique.

I am still quite amazed at what I have dished out to these brakes/pads/rotors with little evidence that this is beyond their engineered design after well over 500 miles of high speed track driving.

dojo was pretty amazed looking at our Avants side by side the other night knowing what I have done with mine in track sessions (he did ride with me for a 20 minute lapping session last fall) and he saw little if any brake wear that indicated a reason to consider this item as a required future mod. We both had upgraded to StopTech brakes on our old B5 S4's given the deficiencies of the B5 series brakes.
Old 05-08-2004, 06:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Yea...

just some "heat disipating" and "heat resiliant" parts.
Old 05-08-2004, 06:03 PM

Default Do the STaSIS rotors work with the stock calipers?

I was unaware they were offering ala carte part upgrades....

The brake lines and fluid are no brainers - yes they will stiffen up the OEM system and are not mods that compromise the basic design of the system at all.

Mintex offers some reasonable street pads, but I am unclear on whether this represents a true upgrade to the OEM pads or not. From what I have experienced so far, the OEM pads are not to be scoffed at by any means. They are very close to Pagid Orange pads for track use and much better than the Pagids for the streets. That's a rare combination. Yes, there is a lot of dust, but the Pagids were absolutely horrible and the dust would destroy a set of rims if you didn't wash them frequently. That dust was highly corrosive.

Low dust pads typically compromise stopping power for their cleaning convenience.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Front caliper removal?