S4 (B6 & B7 Platforms) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi S4 produced from 2003-2005 And B7 Audi S4 produced from 2005 -2008

New to forum... hopefully new to owning an Audi

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2015, 08:57 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to forum... hopefully new to owning an Audi

Hi everyone. I have been trolling around these forums lately because I am in the market to buy a B6 S4. I was hoping to get some advise from the people of the forum that own this vehicle, since I have heard many negative things about the timing chain issue. The car I'm looking at is a 2004 S4 6MT with 126k miles. It's fully loaded, and owner states he has had no issues with the timing chain even rattling at start up. He says the engine and transmission are in amazing shape. My big concern is buyig this vehicle and having the timing guides go right after and have to foot a $5k repair. He is asking $8200, but says he is willing to negotiate on the price.

Any advice would be great. I have fallen in love with these cars and really want to make the jump, but am a little scared from what I have read.

Thank you.
Old 09-02-2015, 09:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

I just bought an '05 in July. the timing chain was my concern also. But I had a local shop do a once over on the car for peace of mind. Everything checked out just fine. I was told you could might hear, a little chain on first fire up till a little oil get moving, but that is nothing to be concerned about. Mine has 172k on the car but only 89K on the engine. Mine is quite and runs smooth. I was told to just use good oil, dont push her hard till she is up to temp and stay on top of maintence and i should be good. I am happy with her so far! Fun car to drive!
Old 09-02-2015, 09:55 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by hookooehoo
I just bought an '05 in July. the timing chain was my concern also. But I had a local shop do a once over on the car for peace of mind. Everything checked out just fine. I was told you could might hear, a little chain on first fire up till a little oil get moving, but that is nothing to be concerned about. Mine has 172k on the car but only 89K on the engine. Mine is quite and runs smooth. I was told to just use good oil, dont push her hard till she is up to temp and stay on top of maintence and i should be good. I am happy with her so far! Fun car to drive!
Well that's good to hear. Glad you are enjoying the car! What was the reason it has a new engine in it?
Old 09-15-2015, 08:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by firemandan
What was the reason it has a new engine in it?
Probably for the same reason you are concern about the timing chain. Plus it's not the chains that are the issue. In addition I wouldn't be surprise that a timing chain tensioner/guide failure would occur on 172kmi B6 S4. Hence the new engine!

Dan - I would seriously consider having a qualified Audi mechanic look at the S4 you are considering. Right around 90Kmi and up I would seriously pay attention to all timing components like; guides, tensioners, cam adjusters and overall service maintenance for said mileage. Even your catalytic converters could suffer from thermal failure as the 4.2L pre cats could possibly run hot from rich fuel mixture. I'm just saying be cautious.

Good luck!