S4 (B6 & B7 Platforms) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi S4 produced from 2003-2005 And B7 Audi S4 produced from 2005 -2008

Quick easy fix for broken glove box door

Old 08-21-2015, 10:30 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default elegant quick fix

i've scoured everywhere and almost bought a new glove box door. fortunately, i chanced upon this concealed hinge repair from ebay. thought i should share it with you folks.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=111424450879&globalID=EB AY-US

Waiting for mine to be shipped. will post pictures once it's repaired.
Old 08-21-2015, 11:36 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default eBay black hinge repair = temporary fix

Due to ease and time I decided to try the bracket on eBay to repair the broken hinge.

After about 45 days the plunger that slows the door when opening just started getting stiff again and needed to be lubed again, and then the same thing 30 days later etc.

The extra pressure from the sticking hinge plunger actually caused the steel reinforcement to bend slightly which caused the door to be out of alignment add the bent hinge caused the door to be twisted. You would need to either slam it shut or bend the whole thing into alignment (would only last a short time).

So the next step was disabling the plunger to remove the extra pressure on one side or bins hinge and that helped for a little while, but by this time the screws were not holding tightly and it would still be twisted at times.

New larger screws tightened it up, but then they didn't fit through the channel the hinge slides into when closing grrr

In still looking into a better solution, but is looking like a glove box cover or door may be the only long term solution.
Old 08-22-2015, 04:20 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

wow that's useful info. based on what you've shared i would probably use some sort of adhesive to strengthen the attachment. can u post a few images for me to assess the wear?
Old 08-22-2015, 08:02 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by driska
hi

...I am looking for advice - help
I tried to take the cover of the glove box off but I have a problem.
How do I remove the clip from the picture?
I tried pulling but it doesn't move at all. Should I just use more force or is there another way to do it?
You can't pull these pins out, they have to be "tapped" out. Remove the glovebox and sit it on its side on the floor. Use a flathead screwdriver put up against the pin and hit it with a hammer to tap the pin out. Once the pin head comes out a bit, it's easier to get the flathead positioned behind the pinhead. It'll take a good set of hits to work the pin out.
Old 08-26-2015, 04:36 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Junhui loh
wow that's useful info. based on what you've shared i would probably use some sort of adhesive to strengthen the attachment. can u post a few images for me to assess the wear?
I will try to remember to take the pics, but simply the same stress that causes the original hinge to break can and in my experience does put too much stress on the metal repair hinge.

IMHO these repair hinges are not as strong as the original, and even if you remove or disable the plunger that slows the opening of the door they do flex and bend some, and the screws can losen some etc.

This then causes the door "pins" for the lock to not align 100%, and then it needs more force when closing.

You can try to chemically fasten or epoxy the hinge along with the repair, but in my case that didn't hold for the first day. Just too much pressure on it.
Old 08-26-2015, 05:06 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Sounds like a great idea. I did order those Greece brackets, but I'm liking your idea. Now, I am going to see if I can even pull up the rubber covering enough to drill a hole and concealing it that way.
Old 08-26-2015, 05:14 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by cleoo
Sounds like a great idea. I did order those Greece brackets, but I'm liking your idea. Now, I am going to see if I can even pull up the rubber covering enough to drill a hole and concealing it that way.
From what I can see the problem lies with the plunger sticking, and that is what causes the original failure and subsequent repair problems.

You need to either remove the pin that attaches to the hinge, or repair or even disable it in order to stop or remove the stress on the hinge.

I found drilling a small hole in the body removed enough pressure to ease things up a bit, but that was after finding that lubricating it only worked sort term.

Not sure if that is something you should or may want to do, but I'm pretty confident if it was done prior to the hinge break it wouldn't have broke in the first place.
Old 01-26-2016, 10:18 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Saw this post, I think its a very good DIY fix, but for those who want to keep the outside of the glove box free of screws and washers, there is also this fix found here.