S4 (B6 & B7 Platforms) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi S4 produced from 2003-2005 And B7 Audi S4 produced from 2005 -2008

Serious Misfire, Shaking at idle, not coilpacks 2005 B6 S4

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 05:04 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Razor1981
Any more news guys?

I just bought a 2004 S4, 4.2... Having misfires on one bank at idle but as soon as I am over 1500 rpm, it goes away, car seems to run well. Check engine light will flash at idle and once rpms are up, that even stops flashing and car seems to run fine. Only at idle... Cold or warm, does not matter... What fixed your cars, or has anyone had this happen to them?
Return the car immediately if you can. I had the exact same issue - it is loose guides on your timing chain. When you rev the engine, the slack is tightened up and the issue temporarily goes away. At idle, there is less tension on the chain and it begins to rattle. It will rapidly get worse with time and you will begin to hear the rattle at cold startup. The engine must be removed to replace the work timing chain tensioners as the timing chains (3 of them) are on the rear of the engine between the transmission. The parts are VERY expensive, as is the labor. Sorry to say, but you have just bought someone else's problem, my friend...
Old 02-05-2016, 05:02 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Razor1981,
I am having the exact same problem with 05 A6 4.2. (Severe shaking and vibrations at idle, but then the car runs smooth without any noticeable issues. CLE flashing at idle but then just stays on while driving. Cylinder 5 & 6 misfires per the reader at o'rilleys. Replaced ignition coils on 5 & 6 but still same misfiring codes for 5 & 6.

Did you ever get your issues resolved?

Group members - Please share experience and a possible solution?
Old 02-08-2016, 05:29 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by JayA64.2
Razor1981,
I am having the exact same problem with 05 A6 4.2. (Severe shaking and vibrations at idle, but then the car runs smooth without any noticeable issues. CLE flashing at idle but then just stays on while driving. Cylinder 5 & 6 misfires per the reader at o'rilleys. Replaced ignition coils on 5 & 6 but still same misfiring codes for 5 & 6.

Did you ever get your issues resolved?

Group members - Please share experience and a possible solution?
Yes I have multiple vehicles that have done that your valve body is dirty seafoam or take the top half of the engine off clean the valve body with a toothbrush clean the throttle body with a toothbrush back up and running in no time
Old 02-08-2016, 06:20 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I replaced all my spark plugs over the weekend,like and now just have randon miss fire code P0300.

Thanks for the reply.
Is sea foaming the best option/possible solution?

Also is it OK to use the Chevron techron or some other fuel system cleaners for the A6 4.2 vehicle?

Originally Posted by ianppk
Yes I have multiple vehicles that have done that your valve body is dirty seafoam or take the top half of the engine off clean the valve body with a toothbrush clean the throttle body with a toothbrush back up and running in no time
Old 07-03-2017, 07:39 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Lol

[QUOTE=sosullivan;24564072]Any of you out there that own an Audi with a 4.2 engine should SELL IT AND RUN AWAY AS QUICKLY AS YOU CAN. BTW, I am not kidding.

These are DISPOSABLE engines that are lucky to make it to the 100K mark. If you don't believe me, do a search on Auto Trader for the highest mileage AUDI S4 with a 4.2 in the entire United States. You will not find one with more than ~110K.

The timing chain repair that is INEVITABLY REQUIRED on ALL these engines is $7300.00 at your local Audi dealer. Yeah, $7,300.00. Recommended "Maintenance" by Audi. 26 hours of labor at $150/hr, plus a few thousand dollars of overpriced plastic Audi parts.

In many cases, this is more than the vehicle is worth. I know. Been there, done that.

Error codes, misfires, rattling chains... These vehicles are overpriced, overrated, and unreliable. Audi should seriously be ashamed of putting such a poor product on the market. Get rid of this garbage Euro crap and buy a reliable C6 'Vette. Costs less to repair, and will eat any S4 for lunch.

Those who chose to ignore do so at the peril of their own bank account. You have been warned...[/QU
Old 07-10-2017, 10:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 4.2 in my 2004 S4 went to 302,000 before the chains went. Fixed that along with a bunch of other things while the engine was out. Car now has 326k and runs like new. Maintainance is key. If it hasn't been maintained then yes it will be dead at 100k. The 4.2 is not a disposable engine. It's a very reliable engine if properly maintained. And you would be crazy to have the audi dealer do your chains. You can get it done for half that price at a reputable independent audi/Mercedes repair shop.

Originally Posted by sosullivan
Any of you out there that own an Audi with a 4.2 engine should SELL IT AND RUN AWAY AS QUICKLY AS YOU CAN. BTW, I am not kidding.

These are DISPOSABLE engines that are lucky to make it to the 100K mark. If you don't believe me, do a search on Auto Trader for the highest mileage AUDI S4 with a 4.2 in the entire United States. You will not find one with more than ~110K.

The timing chain repair that is INEVITABLY REQUIRED on ALL these engines is $7300.00 at your local Audi dealer. Yeah, $7,300.00. Recommended "Maintenance" by Audi. 26 hours of labor at $150/hr, plus a few thousand dollars of overpriced plastic Audi parts.

In many cases, this is more than the vehicle is worth. I know. Been there, done that.

Error codes, misfires, rattling chains... These vehicles are overpriced, overrated, and unreliable. Audi should seriously be ashamed of putting such a poor product on the market. Get rid of this garbage Euro crap and buy a reliable C6 'Vette. Costs less to repair, and will eat any S4 for lunch.

Those who chose to ignore do so at the peril of their own bank account. You have been warned...
Old 07-10-2017, 10:26 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Sounds like the timing chains are about to fail. Stop driving the car immediately and take it to a good audi repair shop that's familiar with the 4.2 chains for advice. The car may not be worth repairing unless it's in very good shape with good compression. I realize this is an older thread but it's good info for someone else also. This is a common problem on this engine and this is most likely why the car was for sale. It's about a $5000+ repair and the engine needs to come out of the car. If they fail completely while the car is running, you will destroy your engine top end.

Originally Posted by JayA64.2
I replaced all my spark plugs over the weekend,like and now just have randon miss fire code P0300.

Thanks for the reply.
Is sea foaming the best option/possible solution?

Also is it OK to use the Chevron techron or some other fuel system cleaners for the A6 4.2 vehicle?
Old 07-10-2017, 10:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Sorry I actually meant to quote Razor1981 but I do t have an option to delete or edit my post. Those bank 1 and 2 errors are usually related to timing. This other guys problem might be something easier.

Originally Posted by Doubleredrolex
Sounds like the timing chains are about to fail. Stop driving the car immediately and take it to a good audi repair shop that's familiar with the 4.2 chains for advice. The car may not be worth repairing unless it's in very good shape with good compression. I realize this is an older thread but it's good info for someone else also. This is a common problem on this engine and this is most likely why the car was for sale. It's about a $5000+ repair and the engine needs to come out of the car. If they fail completely while the car is running, you will destroy your engine top end.
Old 02-22-2019, 03:52 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Wish I read this before I made the mistake

Originally Posted by sosullivan
Any of you out there that own an Audi with a 4.2 engine should SELL IT AND RUN AWAY AS QUICKLY AS YOU CAN. BTW, I am not kidding.

Those who chose to ignore do so at the peril of their own bank account. You have been warned...
replacing parts on this beauty. It’s a bad *** car but WTF as soon as I replace a $2000 part I think it will be good for awhile nope another $2000 fix. The never ending German **** car
Old 02-22-2019, 04:03 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Mine has 335,000km on it and runs like new. Timing was done for the first time at 305,000k. Clutch has been done a bunch of times. Proper warm up and oil changes are key to the engines life. If you don’t maintain it or you abuse it, then it won’t last.

Quick Reply: Serious Misfire, Shaking at idle, not coilpacks 2005 B6 S4