S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

2009 manual S4 starting issue?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2014, 06:06 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2009 manual S4 starting issue?

Hi everyone. Looking for your knowledge regarding an issue with the starting procedure.
As I assume you know, on this engine you depress the clutch pedal and then press the fob into the dash in order to start the car, Recently, on occasion, the engine has refused to start (or engage even), I thought that perhaps I was just not depressing the clutch pedal fully, but I was not getting the 'to start the engine depress the clutch pedal' message on the dash. On taking the fob out of the dash and waiting a minute or so it will then start as it should. I have been having to depress the clutch pedal fully, and I mean to the floor, for some time in order to be sure of the car starting. No issue at all with the clutch operation itself only with this starting procedure.
Anyone had this occur? Any adjustment on what I assume is a sensor for the clutch pedal movement? All help appreciated as always.
Old 10-12-2014, 07:04 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Your car is over 4 yrs old. I would wonder about the battery. Possibly a clutch pedal engagement sensor. Also, not sure if the battery in the fob needs to be good in order for the car to start.
Old 10-12-2014, 09:53 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks for your reply DrGP, I've changed the fob battery (I had a spare in the house) and will see if that makes a difference. The 12v car battery has not given any indication of it dying as yet. Would you have expected some earlier sign? As for a 'Possibly a clutch pedal engagement sensor.' fault, I have no idea if I have one, where it may be positioned or even what to look for!
Old 10-12-2014, 04:18 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You should have 2 keys???. Have you tried the other one?
Old 10-13-2014, 01:55 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Yeah, got two keys.....well the good lady has the other one. She say's she may(!!!!) have experienced the same thing, I'll need to commandeer her key to check.........may not let her have it back!
Old 10-13-2014, 08:33 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hi. i have a 2010 S4 6speed manual. my vehicle is cpo and still covered under warranty and has 130km on it

i just went through this issue about 2 months ago. upon trying to start the vehicle, pressing the clutch the warning statement would appear on the dash "please depress clutch peddle... bla bla bla"

this was an intermittent problem but when it appeared it would take several tries to start the car... very frustrating. i had an old mazda rx-7 with the same issue and in that car it was the clutch safety switch.

i brought the vehicle into my local dealer (pfaff audi in vaughn ontario) and upon inspection they informed me that it was a faulty release bearing. (inside the transmission housing)

total job was about 20 hours of labour and new parts. the cpo warranty covered the repair thank goodness.

my two cents...

1. check the clutch safety switch
2. have someone diagnose the release bearing issue
Old 10-13-2014, 09:31 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by adamksfour
hi. i have a 2010 S4 6speed manual. my vehicle is cpo and still covered under warranty and has 130km on it

i just went through this issue about 2 months ago. upon trying to start the vehicle, pressing the clutch the warning statement would appear on the dash "please depress clutch peddle... bla bla bla"

this was an intermittent problem but when it appeared it would take several tries to start the car... very frustrating. i had an old mazda rx-7 with the same issue and in that car it was the clutch safety switch.

i brought the vehicle into my local dealer (pfaff audi in vaughn ontario) and upon inspection they informed me that it was a faulty release bearing. (inside the transmission housing)

total job was about 20 hours of labour and new parts. the cpo warranty covered the repair thank goodness.

my two cents...

1. check the clutch safety switch
2. have someone diagnose the release bearing issue
Thanks for this reply...........although it's not what I want to hear as I'm not in warranty!