S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

2010 S-tronic issue jerk at full stop

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 05:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 S-tronic issue jerk at full stop

I noticed lately when driving in traffic when the car get's hot (oil temp 215F) and when I take off, then come to a complete stop the tranny jerks forward a bit. Just a little while a go it felt like someone hit me from the back, that's how bad it was. Wondering if anyone had any of these issues.
Old 08-20-2012, 12:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Get your DSG fluid serviced if you are overdue.
Old 08-20-2012, 03:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Big turbo TT
Get your DSG fluid serviced if you are overdue.
That's what I don't get, it was serviced at 32,000 miles
Old 08-23-2012, 09:25 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same here. My b7 a4 and my b8 s4 both jerks on soft brake before coming to a full stop. Totally annoying... I feel ya
The following users liked this post:
Flyttxo (08-03-2022)
Old 08-23-2012, 11:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you at a full stop first or still rolling? Are you driving in D, S, or manual mode with your DSG? Mine likes downshifting into 1st even when rolling and I haven't stopped yet in M. I've gotten in the habit of manually dropping down to 1st myself when I know I'm gonna slow down to a crawl and likely stop. I'm in M mode anyway but you could do this with a paddle shift in D or S also. I haven't had a buck so bad as to feel like I was rear-ended, but there have been some pretty good jerks or lurches.
Old 08-23-2012, 11:45 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have had this happen dozens of times. The first few times it happened I nearly got out the car because I thought I had been rear ended it is that bad.

I find that it happens when I downshift into first gear, brake hard, and as it feels like the DSG is disengaging and the car is coming to a stop, I slam the gas pedal to the floor. The whole car jerks like its been rear ended.

Can't be good for it!
Old 08-25-2012, 03:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Here's the issue 40K my warranty is up I now have about ~37k and lately it's been occurring more frequently especially when the engine oil is around ~217 and above (this is the only way I can measure when it most likely occurs).
I only noticed it when it is in 'D' and it can by in any mode (comfort, auto, dynamic, etc.). when I come to a stop on a turn that's when I get that real aggressive thump as if I was rear ended. I tried it in 'M' mode but really didn't notice it.
Do you think vagcom will find any issues?

I know the dealer is gonna give me some bull**** answer that we didn't notice anything while driving it. That's why I go on a road test with them. I did it before with my door squeal which now has resolved.
Old 08-25-2012, 07:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by audiblitz
I have had this happen dozens of times. The first few times it happened I nearly got out the car because I thought I had been rear ended it is that bad.

I find that it happens when I downshift into first gear, brake hard, and as it feels like the DSG is disengaging and the car is coming to a stop, I slam the gas pedal to the floor. The whole car jerks like its been rear ended.

Can't be good for it!
This was a major problem for the 07 AT X3. It is very dangerous as you may enter a traffic circle expecting to accelerate and then get broad sided when it hesitates. I sued BMWNA and won as this is a major safety issue and not how ANY vehicle should operate. I won under lemon law issues. If you reported this within the first year when it happened then that is what is considered their first attempt at fixing it. How you want to handle this is up to you. This is why I now drive a MT X3. I am taking a change with the Audi getting an AT, but you can bet your next paycheck that if this happened to me I would have it in the shop within the week and start cataloging everything until properly fixed. After 4 attempts it would be lemoned.

Something else to consider. Does the S4 AT adapt to your driving? BMW's claim that over time their AT's learn your driving habits and will adjust the transmission to your style. Some of the jerking of the transmission has been solved by simply resetting the transmissions learning mode through a series of procedures. If Audi's do learn, try to find out what the "Reset" procedure is and try that.

Last edited by Evlengr; 08-25-2012 at 05:45 PM.
Old 09-18-2012, 06:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Got the car back from the dealer last week. This is what was done: Performed clutch adaption, cleared fault codes in 3 modules (which were coded wrong). Instrument cluster, central elec., comfort and conv. No TCM faults found. In the process I lost my lap timer and the option the control the windows with the remote.

Seemed like the problem was fixed. However, in 1 hour of bumper to bumper traffic it is back again but now the jerking during a stop in more subtle. The new thing is while taking off it sorta bucks as if you are driving a manuel and you get off the clutch too fast. Sure enough it is going back today..

I'll keep you guys posted.
Old 09-18-2012, 03:00 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Mechatronics unit. My first dealer couldn't figure this out, kept on resetting it and doing adaptation drives which didn't help at all.

The 2nd dealership I went to did some tests and they tried to reset it, they said they it wouldn't reset, so they had to replace it.

Originally Posted by Audicted2quattro
Got the car back from the dealer last week. This is what was done: Performed clutch adaption, cleared fault codes in 3 modules (which were coded wrong). Instrument cluster, central elec., comfort and conv. No TCM faults found. In the process I lost my lap timer and the option the control the windows with the remote.

Seemed like the problem was fixed. However, in 1 hour of bumper to bumper traffic it is back again but now the jerking during a stop in more subtle. The new thing is while taking off it sorta bucks as if you are driving a manuel and you get off the clutch too fast. Sure enough it is going back today..

I'll keep you guys posted.

Quick Reply: 2010 S-tronic issue jerk at full stop