S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

2010 S4 DSG Mechatronic Failure ("TPMS + Gearbox Malfunction")

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2016, 08:31 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 S4 DSG Mechatronic Failure ("TPMS + Gearbox Malfunction")

I joined the "mechatronic" club this weekend. I'd only owned the 2010 S4 for a few months and had purchased it from a private seller (with fewer than 30,000 miles and a clean bill of health from the local Audi dealership). At this point, I'm trying to figure out the best way to fix it. Based on what I've read online: replacing the mechatronic unit runs around $3,000 to $5,000, but Audi recently released a repair kit than fix the problem for $1,200 to $1,500.

The Audi dealership closest to me says they've never seen this issue before, a repair kit is not available, and the unit needs to be replaced for $4,000. A second Audi dealership that's a little further away says that the repair kit can fix it, but that it's going to cost over $2,500 (which seems to be way more than others have paid.)

Has anyone else found themselves in a similar situation? Is there any reason the two dealerships are giving inconsistent information? Also, should it make a difference that an "electrical short" was given as the reason the car's current mechatronics unit failed?

Any insight or observations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 02-03-2016, 03:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I had the same problem. A friend of mine took the car for a week then brought it back fixed. He wouldn't tell me what he did, who worked on the car or how much it cost. I paid him $300 a week for 5 weeks. Bell Audi quoted $3900!
Old 02-05-2016, 04:12 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by aedmon6
I joined the "mechatronic" club this weekend. I'd only owned the 2010 S4 for a few months and had purchased it from a private seller (with fewer than 30,000 miles and a clean bill of health from the local Audi dealership). At this point, I'm trying to figure out the best way to fix it. Based on what I've read online: replacing the mechatronic unit runs around $3,000 to $5,000, but Audi recently released a repair kit than fix the problem for $1,200 to $1,500.

The Audi dealership closest to me says they've never seen this issue before, a repair kit is not available, and the unit needs to be replaced for $4,000. A second Audi dealership that's a little further away says that the repair kit can fix it, but that it's going to cost over $2,500 (which seems to be way more than others have paid.)

Has anyone else found themselves in a similar situation? Is there any reason the two dealerships are giving inconsistent information? Also, should it make a difference that an "electrical short" was given as the reason the car's current mechatronics unit failed?

Any insight or observations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Does your b8 have the ecu flash? How many miles did it have when your gearbox malfunction? I had recently bought an 2010 s4 dsg apr stage 1 with 39,000 miles just this past October. Couple weeks ago I had the same thing happen to me. When my gearbox malfunction it had 48,000 miles on it. I had purchased the vehicle at an audi dealer. So I took it back to them (knowing how expensive it could be)they offer to either fix it or exchange cars. I decided to exchange cars due to 2 other major repairs that occur in the short time of ownership (motor mount leak, crankshaft pulley failure) also burn oil. I ended up getting a 2013 a6. Really wanted another s4 but there wasn't one in my price range but I love the look and big body of the a6.
Old 02-09-2016, 01:55 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 37 Likes on 37 Posts

With this low of miles and so many popping up it almost sounds like a class action lawsuit to get Audi to cover it and/or to extend the warranty for it.
Old 02-09-2016, 02:13 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by hahnmgh63
With this low of miles and so many popping up it almost sounds like a class action lawsuit to get Audi to cover it and/or to extend the warranty for it.
Mine turned out to be the circuit board, which Audi has a technical service bulletin out.
Old 02-11-2016, 06:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 37 Likes on 37 Posts

Yes, but does Audi replace the circuit board for free. They know it's an issue and 1 day out of warranty and they'll charge you big dollars to replace it. Should be a recall as it's a safety thing if your on the road and in traffic when if fails.
Old 02-12-2016, 04:14 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by hahnmgh63
Yes, but does Audi replace the circuit board for free. They know it's an issue and 1 day out of warranty and they'll charge you big dollars to replace it. Should be a recall as it's a safety thing if your on the road and in traffic when if fails.
I can not speak for Audi, but BMW does the same TSB thing. When my Mini's timing chain started to go after the warranty period BMW took care of it with no expence to me, because of the TSB.

When the S-Tronic starts giving multiple fault codes it must likely is the circuit board. My mechatronic was replaced and a week later the DSG failed in the middle of the roadway and had to be pushed to the side. Turned out the circuit board was the culprit all along.
Old 12-06-2016, 10:37 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Dead DSG....

Yesterday morning on the way to the Audi dealership for an oil change my 2011 S4's DSG ate itself. TPMS warning DSG failure, you may continue....etc. within a couple of miles it came to an complete stop. Towed in, this morning the shop calls and....$12000 for a new transmission, both clutches slipped, metal shavings in the transmission. 71000 miles, car looks and, well, did drive like new, never abused, only one MINOR issue during warranty period, always serviced by Audi.

Waiting to hear if Audi USA will do anything with it.

Have owned some really crappy cars in the past, NONE of them ever went this bad, even my 65' mustang let me nurse it home when the clutch went out.

The S4 is definitely the nicest car I have ever owned, but it's sadly not the best.
Old 12-07-2016, 03:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

That sucks, but how ironic that it happened on the way to Audi for a service. Keep us posted on the situation.
Old 02-13-2017, 07:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I just took mine (2010) in for it's 55k service (it has just over 55k miles), and asked them to check on that same warning - "Gearbox malfunction - You may continue to drive." Other than the warning light that came on, I've had no indication that anything is wrong; the car still feels normal.

The warning had come on a few times, usually for just a few seconds before going away, and usually when I'm just cruising along.

Anyhow, the dealer said they ran the checks that Audi authorizes (covers) and said my fault isn't included in that. They said my only option is a new transmission. I was quoted over $14k! I'm not sure what I'm going to do next.

Quick Reply: 2010 S4 DSG Mechatronic Failure ("TPMS + Gearbox Malfunction")