S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

2010 S4 DSG Mechatronic Failure ("TPMS + Gearbox Malfunction")

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2017, 05:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chris
I just took mine (2010) in for it's 55k service (it has just over 55k miles), and asked them to check on that same warning - "Gearbox malfunction - You may continue to drive." Other than the warning light that came on, I've had no indication that anything is wrong; the car still feels normal.

The warning had come on a few times, usually for just a few seconds before going away, and usually when I'm just cruising along.

Anyhow, the dealer said they ran the checks that Audi authorizes (covers) and said my fault isn't included in that. They said my only option is a new transmission. I was quoted over $14k! I'm not sure what I'm going to do next.
Well that truly sucks and is my biggest fear when it comes to keeping my car past warranty long term. If I were you, I'd trade it in somewhere or sell it to Carmax, instead of putting 14k in it. What about a second opinion at good indy shop, and maybe a used tranny?
Old 02-16-2017, 03:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by togatown
Well that truly sucks and is my biggest fear when it comes to keeping my car past warranty long term. If I were you, I'd trade it in somewhere or sell it to Carmax, instead of putting 14k in it. What about a second opinion at good indy shop, and maybe a used tranny?
Yeah, I'm definitely going to have it looked at by an independent shop. There's a really highly rated one nearby that deals with Audis, BMWS, and Mercs. Especially knowing that for some people, the issue is resolved by replacing some electronic unit that is "only" $1200+. I'm not going to have my first attempt to fix it be over 10 times that much. That's just dumb.
Old 02-26-2017, 07:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default DSG...

Total repair costs came to just under $7000. Audi of America "contributed" approx $6500. Had to leave it another 2 weeks to replace the "flywheel" (bad knocking noise when they presented it for pickup). Now 3 weeks later I have again gotten the "Gearbox Malfunction".

Audi of America needs to own up to these gearbox problems.

Lance
Old 03-14-2017, 04:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Yeah, I wish! I totally agree with you though. The dealer I took mine to told me that there are certain fault codes connected to the "Gearbox Malfunction" warning that qualify for covered service, but whatever is causing my malfunction doesn't apply. So it's like ... "We don't know what's causing your warning light, so we'd suggest spending lots and lots of money to fix something that we're not sure why is broken."

Did your dealer tell you any details about what your error code(s) was/were? Could you notice any performance issues with the transmission? I feel LITERALLY nothing different in how it up- or down-shifts. There's also literally no rhyme or reason as to when, or how long, the warning light will come on.

It is very frustrating and I too with AoA would own up. Also, I'd think the parent company would like to do right by their customers especially after all the diesel emissions crap and the bad publicity along with it.

Originally Posted by lancerb
Total repair costs came to just under $7000. Audi of America "contributed" approx $6500. Had to leave it another 2 weeks to replace the "flywheel" (bad knocking noise when they presented it for pickup). Now 3 weeks later I have again gotten the "Gearbox Malfunction".

Audi of America needs to own up to these gearbox problems.

Lance
Old 03-22-2017, 12:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The first time I had the dreaded Mechatronic problem, I lost 1st, 3rd, 5th & 7th gears. I paid a mechanic friend to resolve the problem for me which he did & it lasted 1 year.
Next time it reared its ugly head I lost 2nd, 4th & 6th & Reverse. With not having the money to get it fixed, I drove the car around like that for about a month (no reverse gear!). Miraculously, the errors codes disappeared as mysteriously as the appeared! It has been about 2 months now that I have been trouble free.
All the information I have gathered on this phenomenon is that it is software related and that all I need is a software update. I’m sure this will not end my woes.
Using my Carista App, the codes I was able to pull are:
P 2849 Shift Fork “A” Stuck
P 0961 Pressure Control Solenoid “A” Control Circuit Range Performance
01315 Transmission Control Module
The dashboard lights I had were: TPMS, CEL, R, Gearbox
These all went away by themselves, however they still show up in a Carista diagnostic scan.
Any input will be greatly appreciated
The following users liked this post:
MTB555 (06-05-2022)
Old 03-31-2017, 03:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, I'm sad to hear that man! There are a number of different reasons why you will get ""Gearbox Malfunction", and there are at least 4 TSBs which are for different combination of codes and different solutions. I know for sure that VCDS or the factory tools can read the codes (not familiar with Carista) so your best bet would be to
a. find a friend with VCDS/factory tool, read the codes and dig into the TSBs
b. take it a shop that knows what they are doing (like Bestiale (Bestiale - Home page) in LA if you are close )

Originally Posted by arn560
The first time I had the dreaded Mechatronic problem, I lost 1st, 3rd, 5th & 7th gears. I paid a mechanic friend to resolve the problem for me which he did & it lasted 1 year.
Next time it reared its ugly head I lost 2nd, 4th & 6th & Reverse. With not having the money to get it fixed, I drove the car around like that for about a month (no reverse gear!). Miraculously, the errors codes disappeared as mysteriously as the appeared! It has been about 2 months now that I have been trouble free.
All the information I have gathered on this phenomenon is that it is software related and that all I need is a software update. I’m sure this will not end my woes.
Using my Carista App, the codes I was able to pull are:
P 2849 Shift Fork “A” Stuck
P 0961 Pressure Control Solenoid “A” Control Circuit Range Performance
01315 Transmission Control Module
The dashboard lights I had were: TPMS, CEL, R, Gearbox
These all went away by themselves, however they still show up in a Carista diagnostic scan.
Any input will be greatly appreciated
Old 04-03-2017, 05:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

About 2 weeks ago ALL the codes mysteriously disappeared as mysteriously as they appeared. The car drive live a champ! The only thing I did was th check the tire pressure & reset the TPMS I also checked the oil and added about half a quart. I cannot explain it other than I'm broke but drive an S4 and I prayed that God would find a way for me. He did!
To sweeten the deal I bought a power washer & foam gun to shine her up!
Old 04-03-2017, 08:20 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Had the same problem, contact Audi USA. They were much more helpful and concerned with my situation compared to the local dealers.

Check your car's recall status with the The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's website Enter your VIN# at this site....
https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls

GOOGLE: 2010 S4 DSG Transmission Problem Mechatronic

Checkout these sites regarding the same exact situation....
24 Complaints: 2010 Audi S4 Power Train Problems
2010 Audi S4 Power Train problems & defects. | Audi Recalls and Problems

Goodluck
Old 04-04-2017, 06:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hahaha, wow that's awesome then!!! I would still think it is a good idea to check the codes though to see if there is something simple now that can prevent worse things later. Anyhow, great that she runs like a champ now!

Originally Posted by arn560
About 2 weeks ago ALL the codes mysteriously disappeared as mysteriously as they appeared. The car drive live a champ! The only thing I did was th check the tire pressure & reset the TPMS I also checked the oil and added about half a quart. I cannot explain it other than I'm broke but drive an S4 and I prayed that God would find a way for me. He did!
To sweeten the deal I bought a power washer & foam gun to shine her up!
Old 04-12-2017, 11:07 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Exact same problem in my original owner 2011 S4 at 69k miles. Dealer said needed entirely new transmission for 14k. After arguing with AoA for a month, they agreed to cover half so I dropped 7k for a entire new transmission. 45 days and 1200 miles later the exact same problem occurred with the "new transmission". This time dealer says it's a bad circuit board in transmission which is a "known issue" and they replaced circuit board with the "updated one" and say it's fixed and ready to go. I have refused to accept the car and have spoken with an attorney.

Quick Reply: 2010 S4 DSG Mechatronic Failure ("TPMS + Gearbox Malfunction")