2010 S4 DSG Mechatronic Failure ("TPMS + Gearbox Malfunction") - Page 2 - AudiWorld Forums

S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

2010 S4 DSG Mechatronic Failure ("TPMS + Gearbox Malfunction")

Old 02-14-2017, 06:18 AM   #11
AudiWorld Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
I just took mine (2010) in for it's 55k service (it has just over 55k miles), and asked them to check on that same warning - "Gearbox malfunction - You may continue to drive." Other than the warning light that came on, I've had no indication that anything is wrong; the car still feels normal.

The warning had come on a few times, usually for just a few seconds before going away, and usually when I'm just cruising along.

Anyhow, the dealer said they ran the checks that Audi authorizes (covers) and said my fault isn't included in that. They said my only option is a new transmission. I was quoted over $14k! I'm not sure what I'm going to do next.
Well that truly sucks and is my biggest fear when it comes to keeping my car past warranty long term. If I were you, I'd trade it in somewhere or sell it to Carmax, instead of putting 14k in it. What about a second opinion at good indy shop, and maybe a used tranny?
togatown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 04:11 PM   #12
AudiWorld Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by togatown View Post
Well that truly sucks and is my biggest fear when it comes to keeping my car past warranty long term. If I were you, I'd trade it in somewhere or sell it to Carmax, instead of putting 14k in it. What about a second opinion at good indy shop, and maybe a used tranny?
Yeah, I'm definitely going to have it looked at by an independent shop. There's a really highly rated one nearby that deals with Audis, BMWS, and Mercs. Especially knowing that for some people, the issue is resolved by replacing some electronic unit that is "only" $1200+. I'm not going to have my first attempt to fix it be over 10 times that much. That's just dumb.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:58 AM   #13
Audiworld Junior Member

Default DSG...

Total repair costs came to just under $7000. Audi of America "contributed" approx $6500. Had to leave it another 2 weeks to replace the "flywheel" (bad knocking noise when they presented it for pickup). Now 3 weeks later I have again gotten the "Gearbox Malfunction".

Audi of America needs to own up to these gearbox problems.

Lance
lancerb is offline   Reply With Quote