S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Just got back from the shop....

Old 02-26-2014, 03:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just got back from the shop....

So after 13k hard NYC miles my Conti' sports have def seen better days, just threw on a fresh pair or Conti DWS and got an alignment. The ride feels much smoother already, but I noticed my back pads seem low and may have to replaced already, crazy. I'm not sure if it's my driving but I can't believe I went thru 4 tires already and maybe pads soon. Anyone do pads and tires that soon? I feel like nothing lasts long on our cars lol.
Old 02-26-2014, 03:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts

Still original pads as of 33k mi, but factory set of P Zeros were done by 15k.
Old 02-26-2014, 04:54 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I've had performance toys before so I know that good stuff doesn't last.
Had a 911 once upon a time and the rear tires went out before 6k miles. That was painful.

The factory Conti's on my 13' has about 10500 miles and looking thin.
I have always been a fan of Pirelli and BFGs on my toys. Anyone have suggestions to speed rated tires that handle, wear better, and aren't noisy? I figure after tax return time I should be due for new shoes.

Thanks!
Old 02-27-2014, 08:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

My '13 has a tad over 26k, original Conti's and pads (squealing like mad) with a recent visit to the dealership for my 25k service..... Dealer informs TSB on brake carrier doesn't apply to my car =( Pads reported with 80% to go! I thought for sure they were done. Tires are thin and should need replacement soon. This is with 1 track event, tires would still be meaty otherwise.

As for suggested tires, I had Hankook V12's (cheap with decent performance, sidewalls a bit weak) and Bridgestone RE011 (Excellent tire, cheaper than the Conti's excellent wet/dry performance). Changing tires is one of my favorite "mods", it change the characteristic of your car. Since I'll be searching for tires soon, please write a review of whatever you get. Thanks.
Old 02-27-2014, 10:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MAC159
So after 13k hard NYC miles my Conti' sports have def seen better days, just threw on a fresh pair or Conti DWS and got an alignment. The ride feels much smoother already, but I noticed my back pads seem low and may have to replaced already, crazy. I'm not sure if it's my driving but I can't believe I went thru 4 tires already and maybe pads soon. Anyone do pads and tires that soon? I feel like nothing lasts long on our cars lol.
FWIW, my Michelin Pilot Sports on my S6 were down to the wear bars at 13K. It was suggested that I look into the warranty since the tire has a 30K warranty. The shop that I got my wheels and tires from did tread depth measurements and found equal wear across the width of the tire and equal wear at all 4 corners. Based on this they said I was eligible for prorated replacement and handled everything on the warranty side, charging me only the difference in price.

As long as I routinely rotate my tires and keep my alignment in check, I should be able to take advantage of the warranty over and over again without "wasting half the tire life" due to a heavy car and aggressive driving habits. I suspect, however, that it would have been more painful to personally deal with Michelin, so YMMV.
Old 02-27-2014, 06:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Just replaced my Michelin Super Sports. Fantastic tire and I drive fairly aggressively. Had 30,000 miles on them. still had a little left but car was in for the 55,000 mile service and the Penske dealership replaced them at the same price as Discount tire with warranty. Odd about the rear brakes. Fronts usually go first. Had my fronts done about 5,000 miles ago. Rears still fine.
Old 02-27-2014, 07:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by safetywork
My '13 has a tad over 26k, original Conti's and pads (squealing like mad) with a recent visit to the dealership for my 25k service..... Dealer informs TSB on brake carrier doesn't apply to my car =( Pads reported with 80% to go! I thought for sure they were done. Tires are thin and should need replacement soon. This is with 1 track event, tires would still be meaty otherwise.

As for suggested tires, I had Hankook V12's (cheap with decent performance, sidewalls a bit weak) and Bridgestone RE011 (Excellent tire, cheaper than the Conti's excellent wet/dry performance). Changing tires is one of my favorite "mods", it change the characteristic of your car. Since I'll be searching for tires soon, please write a review of whatever you get. Thanks.
So far I like the Conti DWS, what a difference with new rubber, def smoother and quieter, however I didn't realize that there isn't a lip to protect the rim so it is more exposed which I wasn't too happy about. They grip and handle very well, we're getting more snow in NYC Sunday night so ill report back how they are. Looking forward to it actually bc I know they are much better than the Conti sports in wet weather.
Old 02-28-2014, 05:11 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

My '12 had 36000 miles on her and the original set of brakes. I drove it hard, too. I had road hazard protection, which covered 3 of 4 tires at some point in the last 36,000 miles, meaning I only ever had to buy one tire.