S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

2015 S4 Getting 14 MPG. Normal?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2015, 02:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

What percentage is the car in Sport mode vs. Dynamic?
Old 01-25-2015, 05:29 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I drive my car in Sport mode 90 percent of the time and probably average around 16mpg. Mostly city driving.
Old 01-25-2015, 06:27 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 279 Likes on 213 Posts

I drive 23 miles each way in heavy freeway traffic and I average about 21.5 MPG. If it's stop and go the entire way, I've seen 14 mpg. The best I ever saw was driving on I5 80 MPH with the cruise and AC on for an entire tank and it was 30 mpg. The worst I've ever seen was after a very fun drive in the mountains, it got 4 MPG.
Old 01-25-2015, 07:13 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by AForePlayin'03
What percentage is the car in Sport mode vs. Dynamic?
Thanks everyone for the responses.

I drive the DSG in Sport mode with all settings in Dynamic 100% of the time.

I will set everything to Auto mode and see how it impacts mileage. But 14 MPG is surprising.
Old 01-25-2015, 02:26 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Don_Don

I will set everything to Auto mode and see how it impacts mileage. But 14 MPG is surprising.

That is why. Basically unless you have a very long stretch at a specific speed it will always be a gear or two up from where it should be.

Plus it downshifts as you slow.

Fun to drive but sucks down gas.
Old 01-25-2015, 07:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Use CC and shift manually

Originally Posted by Eric_C
That is why. Basically unless you have a very long stretch at a specific speed it will always be a gear or two up from where it should be.

Plus it downshifts as you slow.

Fun to drive but sucks down gas.
If you put cruise control on the highway and shift manually in urban traffic below 2k rpm you should improve mpg. Car has lots of torque down low. You can shift quickly if you want!
Old 01-25-2015, 07:25 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Bobby Kinstle
I drive 23 miles each way in heavy freeway traffic and I average about 21.5 MPG. If it's stop and go the entire way, I've seen 14 mpg. The best I ever saw was driving on I5 80 MPH with the cruise and AC on for an entire tank and it was 30 mpg. The worst I've ever seen was after a very fun drive in the mountains, it got 4 MPG.
Nice variability - 4 MPG to 30 MPG

I have a 2011 Manual, and i get 23-24 mpg average on the highways if i drive normally. If I care about mileage, i shift early, don't use cruise control and drive economically, i still get about 25-26. Max I have gotten is 27 mpg but that ride include a lot of downhills.
I must say even when i drive the car aggressive for short spells, the overall mileage does not suffer much - but my commute is only about 16 miles.
Old 01-25-2015, 07:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default For better mileage comfort mode for engine, tranny

Drive in D instead of S. Rest of settings can be dynamic. If you want to play you have to pay in mileage. Car still is rocket, in D instead of S.
Old 01-26-2015, 06:31 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 279 Likes on 213 Posts

When something is set to "auto" in the individual setting or "automatic" setting then the car tends towards mild when you are in D and more aggressive when in S. It's not as mild as comfort and not as aggressive as dynamic, but it gives you two ranges you can define in the individual mode that you can quickly toggle between simply by selecting D or S. You can leave some things like the dynamic steering heavy all the time in this mode (it will still lighten up in parking lots). I have my car set this way so I can have a comfortable drive in traffic, but quickly jump to much sportier settings should the opportunity arise.
Old 01-26-2015, 06:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

I'm getting an average of 19 MPG with my 2014 S4 manual. I've got 5k miles on it now and drive most of the time in "Individual" or "Dynamic" mode...chose individual setting just as dynamic except for the engine sound coming in to the cabin which I don't really care much about having fake sound coming in...

Quick Reply: 2015 S4 Getting 14 MPG. Normal?