S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

2016 S4 w/ Branded Title

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2016, 01:07 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2016 S4 w/ Branded Title

Hi everyone, hopefully soon to be S4 owner here. I have a 2015 Hyundai Genesis almost getting off lease and want something more sporty, lighter, and less boring to drive.

I have the opportunity to get a 2016 S4 Premium Plus with a "Branded" title for $37k from a dealership that specializes in Branded titles. Per the saleswoman, it was involved in a "minor front end impact where we had to replace the front bumper, both headlights and passenger fender".

I've purchased many new cars in the past, but never one with a Branded title. Does anyone have experience with these type of cars? I know the resell value would be impacted, but the difference in 7-8 years will be a lot less than it is now.

I'd never be able to afford a 2016 S4 with a clear title, so this would let me get into a newer car for what I might pay for a 2014 with 35k miles.

What does everyone think?

Thanks!
Old 12-02-2016, 01:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Frish, welcome aboard! You need to be getting a huge discount over traditional retail. You need to keep/drive the car for a long time.

Was the warranty voided?
Old 12-03-2016, 09:37 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Never heard of a branded title. Is it anything like a reconstructed title where the car had been totalled by the insurance company and then repaired?
Old 12-03-2016, 10:12 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would be very, very leery about buying a salvage titled car. Regardless of what the sales lady tells you, it can cost you a fortune in the long run. Insurance can be an issue, what happens if you are involved in a major accident, how are they going to value the car? Once salvaged, warranties are voided. Trading in the car later will be a major stumbling point at most dealers, they aren't going to want to take it. Unless the car was about 1/2 the regular price, it wouldn't even think about it.
Old 12-03-2016, 07:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by mfrish
Hi everyone, hopefully soon to be S4 owner here. I have a 2015 Hyundai Genesis almost getting off lease and want something more sporty, lighter, and less boring to drive.

I have the opportunity to get a 2016 S4 Premium Plus with a "Branded" title for $37k from a dealership that specializes in Branded titles. Per the saleswoman, it was involved in a "minor front end impact where we had to replace the front bumper, both headlights and passenger fender".

I've purchased many new cars in the past, but never one with a Branded title. Does anyone have experience with these type of cars? I know the resell value would be impacted, but the difference in 7-8 years will be a lot less than it is now.

I'd never be able to afford a 2016 S4 with a clear title, so this would let me get into a newer car for what I might pay for a 2014 with 35k miles.

What does everyone think?

Thanks!
I wouldn't touch a BRANDED title car with a 10 foot pole. By definition, the car has been deemed a total loss - If a used car or untitled new car has been involved in an accident or event serious enough to cause sufficient damage to declare it a total loss, if that vehicle can be repaired it must be issued what is known as a “branded title.”

I've NEVER seen someone present a branded title car anywhere near as severe as it actually is, they all say the same thing "minor front end impact where we had to replace the front bumper, both headlights and passenger fender". I call BS on all of this, since if it was that minor, it wouldn't be classified as a total loss. I've seen first hand what some shops take as total loss cars and then work on them to resell them as "minor damage vehicles"...it ain't pretty.
Old 12-04-2016, 02:00 PM
QS4
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Do your research!

You can get quite a few opinions here, but you need to research the vehicle to get real answers!

I suggest you find out why and how the state determines the branded title. Most often these determinations are based on the cost of repairs and the current value of a comparable working vehicle. The amount varies by state but ranges from 50-90% of value of a comparable car. Sometimes a stolen vehicle may be branded although the amount of damage is relatively small. Get the car inspected by someone you can trust.

In most cases, the average person needs to walk away from these but certain higher-end vehicles may be attractive for an industry insider, someone that can get parts and labor at a better rate than the average Joe.

Damage to the frame (high-speed crashes) and water damage from floods are things that insiders may also avoid but the bottom line is finding a deal and that is done by looking at each case individually.
Old 12-05-2016, 02:43 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

For comparison sake, I bought a 2013 for $36K with less than 10K miles on it. Not a scratch on the car, Premium Plus, with B&O, Sport Diff, Driver Select. It has a clean title, has never been in an accident and is basically like a new car. Still has some warranty left.

I think if anything you're getting ripped on the price. I also wouldn't touch a salvaged title car with a 10ft pole. If you're going to, at least get a better price.
Old 12-05-2016, 03:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree with the naysayers. That saleswoman is blowing smoke. Late model expensive cars don't get 'branded' or 'salvage' titles unless cost of repairs exceeded approximately 75% of market value OR they were flood cars.

A car that has been partially flooded has exposed electric switches and wiring harnesses to water and even if not scratched they are usually salvaged because they will never be reliable again.

My advice is run don't walk away from that car.
Old 12-06-2016, 06:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default run away?

as far as you can.
Old 12-06-2016, 06:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Hey folks looks like the OP hasn't come back to the forum since posting the question... Unfortunately this tends to happen with a lot of newcomers: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/members/mfrish-321828/

Perhaps they bought the vehicle and would prefer to live in ignorant bliss vs heeding the advice provided here