S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

2017 Audi S4 & No Manual Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2015, 08:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife learned to drive on a stick...VW Beetle. She wont drive anything else but a stick.

The 2014 S4 ticked all the boxes:
AWD
Over 300 hp
Supercharged
6 spd mt

No dct now either. Tiptronic tranny is a deal killer.

Last edited by PhilNotHill; 10-01-2015 at 08:30 PM.
Old 11-17-2015, 12:46 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Glad I got my 2015 6MT while I could!
Old 11-20-2015, 05:27 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pixeleye
Glad I got my 2015 6MT while I could!
Given all the troubles at VW these days, its all about cost cutting. The word is that VW also suspended Golf R production. The loss of DSG in the upcoming B9 can also be rooted to cost cutting, as the new motor was deemed too torquey for the DSG and Audi choose to not re-invest.
Old 11-21-2015, 07:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

The way I parsed the press releases and my own research, DSG has durability issues.
Old 03-12-2016, 09:07 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default What's the status?

Originally Posted by marnes
So very recently nearly bought a 435i GC. I've always been a BMW fan and have owned them in the past, and I had ruled out Audi because their B8 A4/S4 line is so old, I wasn't even considering one. Nothing against Audi, it was purely coincidental that I had never sat in any Audi in my entire life. But then I caught the announcement for the new B9's and quickly caught up to speed. I really find them attractive and the new dash is completely revolutionary. Love the new headlights too, and the interior.

The BMW on the contrary (3/4 series) just felt a little muted and their interiors a little conservative, but nicer than the B8. So basically it came down to "used BMW vs new B9". I put a deposit down for a new B9 after test driving a B8 S4 and loving it. It felt slightly better and more fun to drive than the 335i/435i. Gives me time to save up.

So my understanding from the dealer in Vancouver BC, is that the new A4s will arrive in March 2016, and the S4s will arrive in November 2016. I'm 3rd in line at my local dealer for an S4, so I would be in the first shipment.

Now my questions are -- what options should I get or skip? I've done some digging and still don't know what the full new options will be so I'm basing these off the current B8 options:

Audi Drive Select - comes standard with Technik package (Prestige in USA). Would want it anyways.

Sport differential - must have. I don't know why this isn't standard. It's so good!

Dynamic steering - don't feel I need it. Didn't test drive a car with it either. I've read up on it and I can see how some people love it, but it's different enough that I don't want to mess with classic steering.

Suspension with damping control - I hear it's really nice to have, but the con is that that they are 4x more expensive to replace than the stock ones, but it gives you more control and dynamic mode gives you a firmer ride than stock. So on the fence here.

Black Optiks Package -- For the B8s it seems to be a must have. For the B9s... it's hard to say. The chrome looks amazing. When I test drove the B8, the grill was plastic but I can't remember if it was the black one or not. I still think I like the look of the black better, but if there is a chance real chrome metal gets replaced with black plastic, for an added cost, I would take issue with that. So on the fence on this one at the moment. I will wait till the A4s come out and see them up close and personal.

I've also heard quite a few discussions even in this thread about lack of DSG and manual transmission. It's pretty obvious that manual transmissions are going the way of the dodo bird. I only drove stick for the first half of my driving life and while it was fun and I swore by it, three things destroyed it for me - big city traffic cramps, significant others, and the rarely humiliating badly grinded shift or stall. Automatic technology is so good now that no skilled racing human with a stick could reasonably outwit an idiot that puts his pedal to the medal in an automatic of the same car anymore. But there are two big reasons why MT is going away -- and that's because only a tiny fraction of people order them, especially in North America and that's a big cost for factory lines to support them and continue to develop them. But more importantly, they are worse for fuel economy and performance. In a way it's like the standard advancement of time. Driving a stick is snail-mail vs email.

DSG on the other hand... it seems like a really nice technology, but apparently they are very expensive to fix and apparently have been failing at a fairly high rate, and I'm kind of happy to go with a straight forward slush-box.

I've also looked up used cars and it seems at least in BC, the S4s retain their value a little better than BMWs. Maybe it's because there are so many more BMWs in the market that there is more competitive pricing (like a 5:1 ratio). But a loaded S4 costs less than a loaded 335/435 and appears to resale a little higher on average for 3-4 year old ones.

Thanks for listening! Only 13 months!
Hi, it seems like I'm going through a similar decision! I am not sure whether to settle for the brand new BMW 340i ( I was gonna choose the 435i but the 340 is more updated) or the new Mercedes C450 AMG or wait for the coupe version of it, the C43 AMG which looks like a beautiful car or the new Audi S4. The problem is that I don't want to wait that long, the C43 coupe and new S4 arrive in the fall of this year and I wanted to get a car around this spring. Which car did you end up settling for? Did you stick with waiting for the new S4? Thanks!
Old 03-12-2016, 10:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 247 Likes on 183 Posts

Sporty and high-tech: the new Audi S4 and S4 Avant | Audi USA
B9 S4
(354 hp); 368.8 lb‑ft torque @ 1,300 to 4,500 rpm, Curb Weight: 3593.5 lb

2016 Mercedes C450 AMG review and test drive with specs, photo gallery and horsepower
C450 AMG
362 hp; 384 lb-ft @ 2,000 rpm to 4200 rpm, Curb Weight: 3850 lb

Also AudiWorld B9 S4 forum: S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion - AudiWorld Forums
Old 03-13-2016, 12:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

After reading recent articles regarding the B9 S4, with the possibility of a no manual tranny option.....I renewed my BMW CCA membership. This is my first Audi after years of BMW loyalty but BMW's nowadays have lost their "magic". I figure if Audi does confirm the manual tranny option as DOA, my only option would be to return to BMW. As of now, I can get a 3,4 or a 5 series with a manual! I hope BMW gets their mojo back when I'm ready or when Audi confirms manual tranny are gone from their lineup.
Old 03-13-2016, 09:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ramothepharaoh
Hi, it seems like I'm going through a similar decision! I am not sure whether to settle for the brand new BMW 340i ( I was gonna choose the 435i but the 340 is more updated) or the new Mercedes C450 AMG or wait for the coupe version of it, the C43 AMG which looks like a beautiful car or the new Audi S4. The problem is that I don't want to wait that long, the C43 coupe and new S4 arrive in the fall of this year and I wanted to get a car around this spring. Which car did you end up settling for? Did you stick with waiting for the new S4? Thanks!
We'll I've actually decided to go for the new SQ5 which won't release for another year. I have a strong preference for a SUV and the SQ5 is an S4 in an SUV's body. I'm impatient as well, but the new Audi's are so significantly better than anything out there, it is worth the wait. Do yourself a favor and test drive the new A4's (or Q7 or TT) before you decide, with the virtual cockpit. You won't regret it. Remember, I've never owned an Audi before; used to own BMWs and was a total fanboy of BMW. But they've lost their way and the current lineup, even the 340i just isn't worth the bucks in my opinion. I make video games for a living and the virtual cockpit with HUD is simply incredible. Waiting just means a bigger down payment

Also living in Vancouver Canada, there is a massive glut of leased BMW and Mercedes. They depreciate very quickly, but the Audi S cars seem to hold their value really well. If you are leasing, Audi is probably not the best choice, but purchasing, it seems to be the case -- and of course markets vary depending on where you live. If you live in the states, see if you can join ACNA (Audi Club North America) and see if you can find a nearby participating dealer. If so, you can negotiate 6% off MSRP. Seems that program doesn't work in Canada at all, but make sure you research it before you join. You have to be a member for 6 months before you can get the discount.

Last edited by marnes; 03-13-2016 at 10:24 AM.
Old 03-15-2016, 08:15 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by tna3
There's no point arguing about it. Everyone knows the pros and cons by now. Die hard fans who prefer the additional involvement of a stick shift will have to leave Audi. Its a bit akin to sailing, sure a motor boat is easier to operate but the additional interaction of working the sails provides more pleasure for some. My commute doesn't involve much traffic. If I am paying this much money on a car, I want the exclusivity and engagement of 3 pedal operation.
I have an order in for 340 xi sport....in MT. I test drove recently, and thought the engine was great. Very, very nimble handling and very strong tech package. Would I have waited for the S4 if in MT - yes. But, alas, there likely will not be MT. I think the 340xi msport would suit a lot of us who have had s4's or wish to buy an s4. The interior is not as comfortable, but i think the driving experience is top notch.
Old 03-16-2016, 04:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

I posted this on February 21, 2016 on another Audi forum...

I was able to talk to the General Manager of Lynbrook Audi on Friday. He knows my family very well as we have purchased 6 Audis from his dealership over the past years. I mentioned to him that I may be interested in a S6 for my next ride. He said if I held out for the 2018 S6, I would be alot happier. He attended an Audi management meeting recently where they discussed newer cars coming to the market. 2018 thru 2020 brings us a lot more RS products. The RS3 and RS4 (both sedan models), RS5, RSQ5, RS7, and a hybrid Q7. The Q7 supposedly will run 0-xx on batteries and will seamlessly transfer over to the engine.

I was seriously interested in the S6 as an upgrade, but when looking at the 2017 A4 on the net...the interior is pure sex. So the S4 and I am quite sure the RSQ5 will be getting the same interior, with different seats. Also the 2017 (A4) - 2020 models will be larger overall than the current B8 and B8.5 editions. Perhaps Lease the 2017 A4 (just to enjoy the newer interior) until the newer vehicles comes out..

Anyone else contemplating their future ride(s)? And yes, no more manuals are being built..

I am very curious to see what the RSQ5 is comprised of. Anyone else have good contacts with Audi to find out more about the RS products?

Other responded to my thread and reported that there will be a V6 Twin Turbo R8, A5/S5 Sportback, SQ7, TTRS (returns) coming our way. The hybrid Q7 I mentioned above is named the Q7 E- tron.

Last edited by MonSoonHell; 03-16-2016 at 04:43 PM.

Quick Reply: 2017 Audi S4 & No Manual Transmission