S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Adaptive Dampening Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2014, 08:12 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adaptive Dampening Suspension

Picked a 2014 S4 Daytona Grey. Love the car, but I admit I was confused about Audi Drive Select vs Audi Dampening Suspension (ADS). My car does not have ADS, but I thought it did. In fact during me alone test drive I put the car in comfort and it felt softer.

I will not be driving the car aggressively or tracking it, so comfort (everyday driving on less than perfect roads) was important to me, particularly as it has 19" wheels. (previous car an E46 with 17" wheels)

So my questions are: With ADS in comfort mode is the ride "softer" that in a S4 without it? Also, I take it I can't add ADS to my car now??

Thx.
Old 11-22-2014, 09:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

The non-ADS suspension is similar to the middle setting on a full ADS equipped car, so with ADS you can run a little softer and firmer. I previously had the full ADS and liked it, but when the dealer couldn't source one with it without ordering, I decided it wasn't worth the wait as I typically left it in the middle setting 95% of the time anyway. I hardly ever put it in comfort, and only used the firm setting occasionally when having a little fun. It would cost a fortune to install it now - if this could even be done. Given you don't have it, just enjoy what you have. Yes it's a nice to have, but coming from someone who had S4's both with and without, you're not missing that much to worry about or lose any sleep over.
Old 11-22-2014, 11:28 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thx for the info!
Old 11-22-2014, 10:54 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I've had two S4's, one with the adaptive suspension and one without, and I'm perfectly happy without it. I ordered it on my 2010 S4, and I liked it. I almost always left it in auto mode, which I think meant it was initially in comfort and sensed when it needed to change into dynamic mode. It's an impressive feature and probably gave a little more comfort some times and a little better handling when needed. But that car got totaled (someone else hit me, no one seriously hurt) and I wanted a new S4 quickly. My dealer had a 2013 demo that had just become available, and it was exactly as I wanted, except it didn't have the adaptive suspension and did have adaptive cruise control, which I wouldn't have ordered. I was worried that I would miss the adaptive suspension but after an extended test drive I realized it was still pretty comfortable and the cornering was still great. So I bought the car and have never since longed for the adaptive suspension. I never ever think "oh, this is a harsh ride" or "oh, there's too much body lean." If I was ordering a new car, I still might add it, but like I said I never long for it. Side note: turns out I really love the adaptive cruise control.
Old 11-23-2014, 03:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Yes, I believe adaptive suspension is softer in comfort and firmer in Dynamic than one without out. I am usually in one of those modes, so I like it because combined with other applicable settings, it changes the personality of the car. I rarely use "auto" mode as I prefer one extreme or the other and auto is never as comfortable as comfort nor as aggressive as dynamic. It is more of a middle mode IMO. However, most people with our cars do not have adaptive damping so you can live without it.

I am not aware of a reasonable way to add it to a car without out as it would involve more than just changing hardware. It may be possible but if truly desired my bet is that it would make more sense to trade in for one that is factory equipped with it.
Old 11-23-2014, 02:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

I have it. I love it.

Individual mode is set for DYNAMIC for everything except the suspension which is set to comfort. when I really want to boogie I go into Dynamic Mode.

My Individual setting is nice for around town or bumpy roads.

BTW the ordering of the Adaptive Damping system was a last minute decision. But I like using the Bumpy Road setting in my 458 about 95% of the time. Glad I decided to order it.

Last edited by PhilNotHill; 11-23-2014 at 02:18 PM.