S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Adaptive Suspension - New Purchase

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2015, 05:12 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adaptive Suspension - New Purchase

I'm getting ready to purchase a new 2015 S4. I was originally looking for one with the Adaptive Suspension but my dealer can only locate one in a totally different state. Maybe he can get it...maybe not.

My question: How much difference does it make? I'm going to be driving it every day but also will probably take the car on the track a couple of times a year. Is the normal S4 suspension going to be teeth rattling?

Any suggestions? Should I wait for 2016 (which doesn't seem to be available yet).
Old 06-10-2015, 06:34 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

The stock suspension should be more than enjoyable for you in most situations. Not teeth rattling at all.

That being said, I really enjoy the adjustable suspension, and change it up all the time. I use comfort mode pretty much all winter in the snowy northeast, as I'm not pushing the car in those conditions. I also use comfort mode when the wife and kids are in the car. When I'm by myself, and the road conditions are clear, dynamic all the way.

Not sure your location or passenger requirements, but I would definitely hold out for it if I bought another S4. My 2 cents.
Old 06-10-2015, 01:35 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've had 3 B8 S4s. None with adaptive suspension. Don't miss or regret not having it. Standard suspension even with 19" wheels is quite compliant.
Old 06-10-2015, 01:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by motorsport_mike
The stock suspension should be more than enjoyable for you in most situations. Not teeth rattling at all.

That being said, I really enjoy the adjustable suspension, and change it up all the time. I use comfort mode pretty much all winter in the snowy northeast, as I'm not pushing the car in those conditions. I also use comfort mode when the wife and kids are in the car. When I'm by myself, and the road conditions are clear, dynamic all the way.

Not sure your location or passenger requirements, but I would definitely hold out for it if I bought another S4. My 2 cents.
I think this is about right. Comfort with ADS provides a more compliant ride than non-ADS cars and dynamic is a little stiffer. However, overall the ride in a non-ADS is fine and most are ok without it, particularly if they never had it. Having said that, I was lucky enough to find the right car with ADS on a dealer lot and never regretting paying for it. If I were to get another S4 I'd probably order it to get exactly what I wanted, including sport diff and ADS, since I have both now. If I never had ADS perhaps I wouldn't care but I might have trouble going without it now that I've had it.
Old 06-10-2015, 02:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by motorsport_mike

That being said, I really enjoy the adjustable suspension, and change it up all the time.

+1
Old 06-10-2015, 04:46 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I struggled with same dilemma. I thought that the stock suspension and 19s would make for a harsh ride. I was wrong. The ride is very compliant. The suspension soaks up the road imperfections sufficiently and the firmness is just enough that it doesn't fell sloppy.
Old 06-10-2015, 05:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

RS5 does not come with ADS. THe ride is firm and sporty. Not as firm and sporty as our 2011 Porsche. Wish it had the ADS like our 2014 S4. I would not be without it.

Best
Old 06-10-2015, 06:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts

I have the Adaptive Suspension on my S5 and don't notice a huge difference between Comfort and Dynamic. I would bet S4's without adaptive suspension split the difference between the two. The only thing I really like to control is the gear changes in Comfort, Auto and Dynamic.
Old 06-11-2015, 04:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by dseag2
I have the Adaptive Suspension on my S5 and don't notice a huge difference between Comfort and Dynamic.
This sounds unusual... There is a clear difference in stiffness between comfort and dynamic in my S4. Obviously cars without adaptive damping will have no difference in suspension but I find it quite noticable with it.
Old 06-19-2015, 12:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

I find that on smooth roads, the difference between Comfort & Dynamic is very slight. But once on bumpy/cracked roads, you will definitely notice the difference.

Quick Reply: Adaptive Suspension - New Purchase