S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

ADVISE: Warranty or not?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2017, 09:09 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ADVISE: Warranty or not?

Hi all!!

Im looking to purchase a 2013 S4 with about 80,000 KM on it

The Carproof is pretty impecable - no insurance cliams, damages, etc.

If I buy a 2 year/ 80,000 km warranty I will get significantly better financing rates... it costs $2,800

I should note that Im only anticipating driving the car about 10,000 km / year

Im moving from BMW to Audi and and quite excited about it!

Any words of advice are welcome!!

PS Not sure fi its relevant but I live in Canada
Old 03-10-2017, 09:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Hello and welcome to the forum!

I would advise you to get an extended warranty on any used Audi. It is not that there is a lot that can go wrong with the car and its mechanicals but you just do not know a used car's complete history even if its Carproof is impeccable. For some peace of mind, go get the extended warranty and find yourself a good independent Audi mechanic to save some money on repair work.

Make sure the company selling the extended warranty is reputable and has good reviews. A lot of 3rd party companies that offer extended warranty let you go through a wringer when making a claim. It is also one of the reasons why I would strongly consider only an Audi CPO vehicle for any used Audi car purchase I may do in the future. I do not want to deal with any 3rd party extended warranty provider except from established brands like car manufacturers.
Old 03-10-2017, 10:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by forttknoxx
Hi all!!

Im looking to purchase a 2013 S4 with about 80,000 KM on it

The Carproof is pretty impecable - no insurance cliams, damages, etc.

If I buy a 2 year/ 80,000 km warranty I will get significantly better financing rates... it costs $2,800

I should note that Im only anticipating driving the car about 10,000 km / year

Im moving from BMW to Audi and and quite excited about it!

Any words of advice are welcome!!

PS Not sure fi its relevant but I live in Canada
Is it a MT or DSG, have Sport Diff? If DSG and/or SD, might lean toward a warranty, although at 47k current mileage and only adding 5-6k a year, I might still roll the dice depending on how long I would be keeping the car. Are you saving enough in financing to pay for warranty? If so, then probably worth it. Don't bother with warranty if you plan on performance modding, pay to play instead.
Old 03-10-2017, 10:33 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Hi all,

Also in same situation in Canada. Looking to buy an off-lease S4 Premium with 55000 kms. It is S-Tronic + Sports Diff. Services done through Audi dealership due to Audi Care. Items replaced by warranty has been a light bulb and trunk latch. I don't drive much and nothing felt out of the ordinary in the test drive. Wondering if its worth getting the extended warranty provided by Audi Canada.

At OP, how come you get better financing rates if you get the warranty? I didn't get any offer like that!
Old 03-10-2017, 11:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by White Comet
Hi all,

Also in same situation in Canada. Looking to buy an off-lease S4 Premium with 55000 kms. It is S-Tronic + Sports Diff. Services done through Audi dealership due to Audi Care. Items replaced by warranty has been a light bulb and trunk latch. I don't drive much and nothing felt out of the ordinary in the test drive. Wondering if its worth getting the extended warranty provided by Audi Canada.

At OP, how come you get better financing rates if you get the warranty? I didn't get any offer like that!
It's only got 32k on it? Hell, it's not even broken in yet, lol! It must have some factory warranty left. And is it not CPO if buying through Audi Canada? Roll the dice and save for a repair fund on this one.
Old 03-10-2017, 12:02 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by togatown
It's only got 32k on it? Hell, it's not even broken in yet, lol! It must have some factory warranty left. And is it not CPO if buying through Audi Canada? Roll the dice and save for a repair fund on this one.
yes, low mileage. It has less than 1 month warranty left and 1 more Audi care service. Not CPO since it's not in dealer hands yet. Owners lease is up in less than 1 month
Old 03-10-2017, 03:39 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If buying gives you a better finance rate, then by all means get the warranty. BUT, I bought my S4 in may of 2014 with 49K miles on it. I paid $2700 for a 3 yr 36k Silver package extended warranty. So far, I have had no need to use it. These cars have been remarkably reliable. However, when they do fail, it can be expensive ,especially if the DSD or Sport dif fails. And I expect the thermostats in all b8 S4s to fail at some point. That will probably be just after my warranty expires. In a similar post it was suggested that rather than buying an extended warranty, you start an emergency slush fund. Perhaps putting $100/month or whatever you see fit for for future repairs. That way, you would have money to pay for repairs as long as you do not have an issue early in your ownership. If you don't need repairs, the money is yours not the warranty company's. My question would be that if you are buying a 2 yr warranty, what do you plan to do after that expires?