S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Which All Seasons do you recommend on the stock 19s?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2014, 10:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been using Conti DWS on my cars for years and I love them. I'm planning on getting a set swapped on to my S6 once it arrives.
Old 12-15-2014, 06:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by HDCS4
Pilot A/S3 is indeed an all season tire and designed for use in light snow. It may not be up to the standards of the Continental DWS (widely considered the best AS tire in snow) but it is designed to be used in winter and light snow. In fact in tire rack's testing the A/S 3s significantly outperformed the Potenza RE970AS.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...y.jsp?ttid=177

Cheers,
HDCS4
In my personal experience they are OK when the surface isn't so deep that the tire can't touch the asphalt, think 1/2 inch of light or slushy, they kinda suck on hard pack and deep wet/heavy snow, they really suck if there is ice. I say this having used them on my s4 in standard 19 inch spec.

If you need to go out before roads have been cleared these aren't a good tire for you.
Old 12-23-2014, 08:54 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by gk1
My best experience with all-seasons has been with the Continental DWS.
+1
Old 01-25-2015, 07:54 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Mp0wer
Yea I heard good things about the dws, I'm trying to decide between the dws and as3, I'm looking for a nice comfortable ride with no noise and snow traction in the New England weather...decisions decisions
For what it's worth, i've had Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 through the New England winter and going strong through this one as well.... they're not AWESOME in the snow - but pretty good, if this is not your first time driving in the snow. Plus Quattro helps anyway.

And they are well worth the extra $$ if you're going for a year-round / all-season solution, i.e. not planning to get summer tires.
Old 01-26-2015, 05:39 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have A/S 3's and this is my second set of them on 2 different cars.

They are good in the snow, they are not great.

They tend to suffer under lateral movement, which means you slide a lot. Doesn't bother me, I just turn off the stability control and use the throttle to drive but if your not comfortable with it not the way to go.

Braking is OK.

If you are a driver who pays attention to your surroundings and it doesn't snow 70 percent of the winter where you are then the AS3 is great.

If your driving long distances, freeway, and get a lot of snow and want more confidence then get a snow tire. You have to pay attention to the surface your braking on.

In non-snow weather they are superior to the stock summer only tires, plus they look so much better being squared off in the stock tire size.
Old 01-26-2015, 12:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Eric_C
I have A/S 3's and this is my second set of them on 2 different cars.

They are good in the snow, they are not great.

They tend to suffer under lateral movement, which means you slide a lot. Doesn't bother me, I just turn off the stability control and use the throttle to drive but if your not comfortable with it not the way to go.

Braking is OK.

If you are a driver who pays attention to your surroundings and it doesn't snow 70 percent of the winter where you are then the AS3 is great.

If your driving long distances, freeway, and get a lot of snow and want more confidence then get a snow tire. You have to pay attention to the surface your braking on.

In non-snow weather they are superior to the stock summer only tires, plus they look so much better being squared off in the stock tire size.
+1

I agree...great tire and no regrets!
Old 01-26-2015, 02:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recommend none. Don't buy all season get winter tires.
Old 01-26-2015, 03:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

I called tirerack and the person that I spoke with recommended the continental DWS. He called the Michelin AS3 a three season tire and did not recommend their use in the snow.
Old 01-26-2015, 05:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by mjfloyd1
I called tirerack and the person that I spoke with recommended the continental DWS. He called the Michelin AS3 a three season tire and did not recommend their use in the snow.
I agree. They are not recommended for snow but they do work, you just have to be careful.

I've driven mine in snow 4 times now and once in an ice storm. Did great in the ice storm but we were all doing 40-45 on the freeway.

City snow driving is a lot different than open road snow driving. I would not want to drive them very long distances on a freeway but they get around town just find even up to 2-3 inches of snow.

Braking is a downfall for them, they lock up very easily and you tend to slide a bit.
Old 01-27-2015, 05:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by gk1
My best experience with all-seasons has been with the Continental DWS.
I like this tire

Quick Reply: Which All Seasons do you recommend on the stock 19s?