S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Anyone have clunking noise in their front suspension?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 05:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

I can always replicate this noise when the front end passes over a speed bump.

I think hot weather makes the noise more pronounced.
Old 08-06-2012, 05:25 AM
riu
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont know if the noise I have is the same issue but I get this issue every few days when going over a speed bump where I live. I am not flying over this bump, but when my front two wheels go over it I get a clunk noise that just doesnt sound good. I do live in FL so its usually pretty hot.
Old 08-06-2012, 01:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by AudiLove417
My car was making the same noise.. It continued to get worse until it sounded almost like grinding metal. Dealer diagnosed as bad weheel bearings, getting replaced today. I'll let you know if that makes it go away.
I think if you have the same noise as I do those techs must be smokin crack because it sounds like a strut noise to me...but hey I'll take any help at this point .
Old 08-06-2012, 01:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by roosterkmc
Heads up to the group - my '11 is exhibiting the EXACT same thing as other's have described. It's Austin, Texas 100+ degree weather so this happens EVERY DAY.

Also have some clutch noise & issues with the synchro going from 2-3.

And, this is only at 17,500 miles :-(
Man I am right there with you. It is hot as crap here. I would like to blast the car down to Audi of N Austin and have a tech ride along in it with me. I fear it's one of those noises that they would be "unable to duplicate".
Old 08-06-2012, 07:29 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Foogie
I think if you have the same noise as I do those techs must be smokin crack because it sounds like a strut noise to me...but hey I'll take any help at this point .
Best I can describe the noise I experienced is more of a clicking/grinding metal sound that comes as a result of turning the wheel a couple rotations in either direction while stopped or at low (<10mph) speeds. Car also felt a little floaty and/or disconnected at speeds, even a serious steering wheel shimmy at times; symptoms more pronounced in the hot weather and after the car is warmed up.

My loaner is actually a 2013 A4 with ~100miles and felt more precise than my car.. and I'm on OE springs and Alu Kreuz.

I should have answers tomorrow.
Old 08-06-2012, 07:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

I had a clunk over speed bumps and when carrying passengers. Dealer found a loose subframe bolt that had to be replaced (one-time use stretch bolt). I have the stock subframe which has never been touched so, assuming it was properly torqued and stretched at the factory, how it came loose is a mystery.
Old 08-07-2012, 11:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Audi called me today to notify me that they received my complaint about the noise. Probably won't go anywhere but perhaps if we continue to address it with them and our dealers it will be dealt with. I threw out to them that "our BMW doesn't make any noises and it has 40000 miles on it" comment. I plan on addressing it with my dealer to see if they can rectify it. Regardless, it's a problem that needs to be dealt with by AoA.
Old 08-07-2012, 01:18 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Fix applied - tightened up the sway bar

Originally Posted by Foogie
Man I am right there with you. It is hot as crap here. I would like to blast the car down to Audi of N Austin and have a tech ride along in it with me. I fear it's one of those noises that they would be "unable to duplicate".
The SA escalated my case to the shop foreman, who then had me drive it to reproduce the issue ... which, I did within 3-5 minutes of driving.

The fix ended up being a sway bar adjustment, so far so good.

Yet ... unfortunately, my clutch now sounds like a muted creaky door (ugh).
Old 08-09-2012, 09:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by roosterkmc
The SA escalated my case to the shop foreman, who then had me drive it to reproduce the issue ... which, I did within 3-5 minutes of driving.

The fix ended up being a sway bar adjustment, so far so good.

Yet ... unfortunately, my clutch now sounds like a muted creaky door (ugh).
Hmmm...that makes me feel better. I will address this when I bring it in for my 15k service. Thanks man. I will ask for the shop foreman as well.
Old 08-15-2012, 03:17 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

To update this issue. They readjusted the splash span and tightened the steering rack bolts. I still have the rattling/creaking/grinding noise. In fact, I think it is more obvious now. When turning it almost sounds like metal stretching with a "creaking" type noise.

I did take out my phone and recorded a video with sound as I drove. I will take this with me and put the car back in on Friday.

Quick Reply: Anyone have clunking noise in their front suspension?