S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Anyone have clunking noise in their front suspension?

Old 07-30-2014, 02:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

The S4 cars have a known issue and there is a TSB addressing it. I don't believe anyone has identified the issue in the A4 cars with the Sport suspension...
Old 07-30-2014, 04:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Note that if a tech only does a visual inspection and yanking, pulling or pressing of the engine, chassis and suspension components, it may not reveal that a bolt is not tightened to factory specification. That was what happened in my case until he put a torque wrench on all the bolts and found the one engine mount bolt that was not tightened to factory spec. Low speed clunking problem solved. No TSB, just careful, methodical checking for spec with the proper tool.
Old 07-31-2014, 07:05 AM
aty
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by uberwgn
The S4 cars have a known issue and there is a TSB addressing it. I don't believe anyone has identified the issue in the A4 cars with the Sport suspension...
Do you know the TSB number that you say is addressing this issue? I brought my car once to Audi of Arlington about a month ago regarding this problem but they couldn't replicate this clunking sound.

Thanks,
aty
Old 08-04-2014, 03:44 PM
aty
Audiworld Junior Member

Does anyone have any other link to Audi S4's TSB? This is what I found and it doesn't have the one that states the clunking noise that we hear in our cars.

2012 Audi S4 Technical Service Bulletins (TSB)
Old 08-14-2014, 12:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

See the attached image. I used to get this problem pulling into my alleyway. They replaced some guide links in the bushings and loosened, let the motor sit, and then re-torqued it in.

Thanks!
Attached Images  
Old 08-14-2014, 03:01 PM
aty
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by JackP311
See the attached image. I used to get this problem pulling into my alleyway. They replaced some guide links in the bushings and loosened, let the motor sit, and then re-torqued it in.

Thanks!
Thanks for posting this. For what year are these? I tried searching for these two that you provided under 2012 S4s and they're not included.

Thanks again.
Old 08-18-2014, 04:40 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Resolved

Originally Posted by rav6370
I got my car back (they tightened everything back to spec and blamed it on my replacement brake pads - hawk performance ceremics which they installed for me). Suggested I should go back to stock and see if the noise comes back.

Anyway the noise disappeared for about a month and now I am hearing signs of it again. I saw a few posts about a TSB # to loosen the engine mounts... did anyone share this TSB #??? Are you still having the problem?
Update - hawk sent me a new front pad and once installed the noise disappeared. Turns out the metal bracket on the pad itself was defective. It is supposed to have flex and move but on the bad part it was vibrating causing the noise. It's been a few months now and all is well. Good luck to the rest of you on finding a resolution.
Old 11-09-2015, 04:23 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I am having this exact same problem on my 2010 A4 Avant. Whenever the body weight of the car shifts front to back I hear the clunking in the right front of the car. Doesn't matter the temperature. It does it the most at low speeds and turning, as others have described.
Old 11-09-2015, 07:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by 2010A4AvantAudi
I am having this exact same problem on my 2010 A4 Avant. Whenever the body weight of the car shifts front to back I hear the clunking in the right front of the car. Doesn't matter the temperature. It does it the most at low speeds and turning, as others have described.
Read my earlier posts and as I replied to you in the other thread. Check the torque of the engine mount bolts.
Old 01-05-2016, 04:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

My 2011 S4 has recently developed a clunk as well. Seems to be coming from the drivers side although that's not clear. Does not seem to be temperature related - I get a clunk when engaging the clutch and the car starts moving and then a slightly different clunk when first hitting the brakes.

I checked the Alu Kreuz but all the bolts are tight - going to bring it into the dealership for a look. Unrelated but I noticed a bit of fluid on either side of the driveshaft tunnel (on the chassis). I wasn't sure but it looked like oil making me wonder if a seal is leaking, so now I have 2 reasons to have the dealer look at it. This will be the first time having it looked at while under the dealer sold Fidelity aftermarket warranty. Will post back next week once I get an updated.

Last edited by IvanS4; 01-05-2016 at 04:43 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyone have clunking noise in their front suspension?