S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Apple Lightning Cables

Old 10-16-2014, 08:15 AM
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Apple Lightning Cables

Please visit our website at genuineaudiparts.com for our special price on the new Apple iPhone 5 and 6 cables. Part number 4F0051510AL on special now for 65.00 (plus shipping).
See the link on our home page to order!
Old 10-18-2014, 02:53 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for the heads up. Is there any advantage to this cable over using the regular mmi 30-pin cable and the apple lightning adapter?

EBS4
Old 05-20-2016, 01:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

This setup doesn't seem to work in my 2010 Audi S4 w/o nav.

Old 05-21-2016, 12:02 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by HDCS4
Thanks for the heads up. Is there any advantage to this cable over using the regular mmi 30-pin cable and the apple lightning adapter?

EBS4
No. as long as your adapter is a genuine Apple product. Most clones won't work.
Old 05-21-2016, 12:04 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by westwest888
This setup doesn't seem to work in my 2010 Audi S4 w/o nav.

Needs to be an Apple or Audi product to insure it will work. Other products might work , but you never know
Old 05-26-2016, 05:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

My 2016 S4 came with two new/different Ipod/Iphone connectors (of course I paid for them in the price). I use Android phones and don't use an Ipod.

Is anything here usable/useful to me with an adapter etc? (I suspect not...)
Old 05-26-2016, 07:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by huskyz
My 2016 S4 came with two new/different Ipod/Iphone connectors (of course I paid for them in the price). I use Android phones and don't use an Ipod.

I'd be interested in buying the new style 6S lightning cable from you.
Old 05-26-2016, 11:03 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by huskyz

Not sure what you are really asking.
Old 05-26-2016, 01:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by DrGP
Not sure what you are really asking.
Well, I'm not either ;-)

I have MMI nav...and got 2 cables in separate Audi parts packages: 1) Adapter for iPod Audi Music Interface and 2) Adapter for Apple iPod/iPhone with lightening connector. (p/n 4F00510: AL and AG respectively). I didn't know what to do with them, especially since I am not an Apple kind of guy...I use Android stuff.

The line item on my window sticker says "Lightening Cable for Audi music Interface $85.00". (Why did I get two cables that both support iPod? Being an non-Apple guy I infer they connect to two different iPods...and as Apple is wont to do, they're both proprietary :-) ... so each support a different device and/or phone, the lightening being the new version/technology)

So...My question was are they of any use to me?...at first I thought with an adapter/converter etc. but as I read more, probably not worth messing with so then, perhaps selling etc. rather than tossing them in the large box of old and unused electronic and/or automotive trash I've accumulated over many years...and keep 'just in case' (which never comes :-) ).

and if I sell or toss them in the box, do I care about buying any of the other adapters to just play music or am I missing something I care about? It sounds like there may be special control functions unique to Apple devices, maybe not present in non-Apple devices like other phones or mp3 players (and whose songs can be loaded to the drive anyway).

The manual wasn't clear to me on this. Given the tiresomeness of reading the multi manuals and feature/functions, I sought a simple answer (HA!!). The manual shows other wires/adapters (including 3.5mm stereo jack, mini/micro/USB) that plug into Audi Music Interface. Which at the start I was unsure of but now I think it's all about the big multi pin block on right side of glove box...which looks proprietary, so I originally figured maybe Apple (but now think Audi) ...and suspect is the target connection for all of these adapters.

Trying to clarify my question, I did more rummaging through parts bins/explosions online showing the other (Audi) adapters, finding them and that I might use a mini/micro USB or even more universally the 3.5mm BUT...then/now, I'm not sure what they enable other than simply playing another music source, which given the radio, Sirius, hard drive, SD cards, CD/DVD, wireless interface etc...I don't need.

My post here was prompted by my thinking I'd get some feedback on both these cables and also alternatives that others have tried and their experience.
Old 05-28-2016, 10:45 AM
Banned

You can use the 30 pin connector to connect with your phone. It will charge the phone and allow you to control it through the MMI. although with the Bluetooth/Wifi , you can also do so with your phone in your pocket. These connector were more useful when the S4s did not come with built in bluetooth /wifi