S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Audi Connect - Speed AWFUL?????

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 07:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by RickFLS4
The speed tests over wifi are also dependent on the wifi connection. In other words, the 3G connection may be fine but the connection between the car and the device may not be working well for some reason. I know there can be a big difference in speed tests in my home if I am plugged into the gateway (Ethernet) vs. over wifi while I am sitting in front of the gateway vs. over wifi while in the next room, and have had similar results whether using DSL, Uverse or cable HSIA.

I have never used the wifi in my car but will try a speed test tomorrow so you at least have some type of comparison to your results.
Originally Posted by Thes6isWicked
Thanks Rick. Wifi connection was great, as was the 3G data connection (I believe). I will continue to check the latter, however.
Also note that the signal strength displayed on a cellular device (incl the car) does not always correlate to data speed. You can get max bars but if there is too heavy a load on data usage relative to the available local bandwidth, it will slow things down.
Old 05-07-2014, 07:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Also note that the signal strength displayed on a cellular device (incl the car) does not always correlate to data speed. You can get max bars but if there is too heavy a load on data usage relative to the available local bandwidth, it will slow things down.
That's pretty much what I was saying earlier. Doesn't matter how many bars your cell phone shows when talking about data speeds. I'm also wondering about the coverage of T-Mobile.
Old 05-07-2014, 08:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Thes6isWicked
Thanks for this, Slasher. Can you do me a favor? Do you have an iPhone or Android? Download the Ookla Speedtest app and do a speed test when connected to in-car Wifi? Post the results. I would like to compare.... Thanks!
I have a Galaxy S4, and I will do that the next day I drive it.
Old 05-07-2014, 08:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

I ran some speed tests today to provide you some baseline comparisons. All tests were done with Ookla Speedtest app and figures are in Mbps:

iPod Touch in Car using 3G hotspot (3G alternating between 2 and 3 bars) - ran 4 times

Download: 3.11, 3.03, 1.47, 1.97
Upload: .31, .32, .31, .12

iPhone using LTE in same spot: 4.31 download, 1.21 upload

Same iPod Touch in house (25 Mpbs cable HSIA over WiFi)
Download: 3.39, 15.91, 3.22 sitting on bar stool in kitchen
Upload: 4.99, 5.25, 4.57

You only get maximum results on these speed tests when hard-wired into the connection (i.e. gateway). When using WiFi there are many variable that can cause disparate results including microwaves and cordless phones. Inside a car, I expect Bluetooth can have a significant adverse impact on WiFi via interference. If accurate, mixing Bluetooth and WiFi in a car will never work that well. This is what I meant by the issue potentially being with the WiFi even if 3G connection is good:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1365

I don't stream audio or use Internet radio services and use a prepaid SIM for data only in the car (sending addresses from computer, google maps when I want them and online destination searches in the car). The concept of a 3G hotspot in a car never made a ton of sense to me, so I guess I'm saying I'm not too surprised if you are having issues trying to use it as a WiFi hot spot. Even when 4G LTE is available, I expect there will be issues with consistent connectivity over WiFi as long as Bluetooth and other sources of interference are nearby since I see the same thing in my house.
Old 05-07-2014, 10:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I expect there will be issues with consistent connectivity over WiFi as long as Bluetooth and other sources of interference are nearby since I see the same thing in my house.
I suspect you are right when it comes to the car's wifi hot spot. Although Bluetooth and wifi interference can be mostly mitigated by using 802.11n in the 5Mhz band, I'm guessing Audi uses the 2.4Mhz band for the hotspot, at least in the current models. The exception might be the new A3 which could be using 5Mhz. Like 4G cellular, most auto manf. are slower to implement the later tech found in non-auto applications.
Old 05-07-2014, 03:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Am I Missing Something??

I do not see the need for Audi Connect. My wife gets all the info she needs as a passenger using her iPhone 5. Seems to have no problems. We have ATT and coverage is pretty good. But there are spots in the mountains with no service. So I could see some usefulness to a satellite hook up.

Assume AC is really so kids can play internet games etc while travelling. we have no children at home so this is no value to us.

No need to listen to Pandora (which my wife can get on her iPhone) as we have Sirius...no commercials and we love it. No dead spots in the mountains (except tunnels and spots in Glenwood Canyon).

Am I missing something????
Old 05-07-2014, 03:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by PhilNotHill
I do not see the need for Audi Connect. My wife gets all the info she needs as a passenger using her iPhone 5. Seems to have no problems. We have ATT and coverage is pretty good. But there are spots in the mountains with no service. So I could see some usefulness to a satellite hook up.

Assume AC is really so kids can play internet games etc while travelling. we have no children at home so this is no value to us.

No need to listen to Pandora (which my wife can get on her iPhone) as we have Sirius...no commercials and we love it. No dead spots in the mountains (except tunnels and spots in Glenwood Canyon).

The nav features are nice to have (namely google maps, sending destinations to the car from a PC or tablet and more precise online destination searches). Also, many of us don't have our wife in the passenger seat all the time to use an iPhone based alternative. Otherwise, I agree there is limited value to AC which is why I use a prepaid SIM to use what I want rather than paying a monthly fee to T-Mobile.
Old 05-07-2014, 04:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

The nav features are nice to have (namely google maps, sending destinations to the car from a PC or tablet and more precise online destination searches). Also, many of us don't have our wife in the passenger seat all the time to use an iPhone based alternative. Otherwise, I agree there is limited value to AC which is why I use a prepaid SIM to use what I want rather than paying a monthly fee to T-Mobile.
Thanks for the info.

the Audi dealer gave us a fee schedule and suggested that the only time we would use it is when we are on a trip to someplace unfamiliar. You can buy the service for just a month at a time. But that's when my wife is in the passenger seat.

I do not recall a "prepaid SIM" being offered as an option.

Best.
Old 05-07-2014, 09:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Internet audio streaming, i.e. Pandora, is not a feature of Audi Connet as such but offered as part of Nav Plus. In car wifi is only one of the many features of AC (and prob the least used). The real benefit is integration with the nav and the MMI screen w/o fumbling around with a phone while driving.

Thanks for the info.

the Audi dealer gave us a fee schedule and suggested that the only time we would use it is when we are on a trip to someplace unfamiliar. You can buy the service for just a month at a time. But that's when my wife is in the passenger seat.

I do not recall a "prepaid SIM" being offered as an option.
There are several option for AC service. T-Mobile has their standard month to month (expensive) or a prepaid 30 month plan with unlimited data which comes out to $15 @ month. Pay-for-use sim providers are also available like TruPhone and P-Tel to name two, which use the T-Mobile network. You get their sims online directly from the provider.
Do an AW global search for many threads discussing these options.
Old 05-08-2014, 04:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by slasher016
I have a Galaxy S4, and I will do that the next day I drive it.
I ran it a few times this morning during my commute. I had Blutooth on and connected for both audio and phone functions, but obviously I paused Pandora during the test. As someone else said, that could be relevant.

Results:
Down 1.60, 0.52, 1.85
Up 0.47, 0.21, 0.38

As a comparison my work Wifi:
Down 27.31, 29.30, 31.64
Up 31.57, 40.53, 41.84

Quick Reply: Audi Connect - Speed AWFUL?????