S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Audi telling me i need new clutch.

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 05:19 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi telling me i need new clutch.

my 40k mile car can only be started when the clutch gets pushed to the floor, and then basically you have to push it an inch through the carpet for the engine to turn. They first changed my master cylinder and the problem went away for a month. Then it returned and audi is telling me its clutch wear. Although, they admit that the car doesn't act like there is any wear on the clutch as I pointed out to them, when under load or starting from a standstill. The only answer they have is clutch needs to be replaced for 4300.
I keep telling them the clutch in operating fine and doing its job, but they have no answers as to the starting issue other than "the checklist says its the clutch". Has anyone else experienced this? BTW they changed switches also along the way of investigating the issue.
WHAT A MAJOR DESIGN FLAW!!!!
Old 06-24-2013, 06:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Under warranty correct?
Old 06-24-2013, 06:51 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yes under warranty
Old 06-24-2013, 07:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 247 Likes on 183 Posts

See link before from DeckSurgeon

Everything you wanted to know about the B8 S4 clutch

Here is an interesting Audi B8 TSB:

""30 Vehicle does not start or only when pressing the clutch pedal very firmly - A4, A5, S4, S5 manual gearbox (years 2008-2014).

2028229/1

December 9, 2011.

Affected Vehicles
Condition
Vehicle does not start or only starts when pressing the clutch pedal very firmly.

Technical Background

In most cases the replacement of the clutch slave cylinder or master cylinder does not fix the complaint.

Production Solution

Not applicable.

Service

Check the clutch hydraulics and electrics as follows:

1. Depress the clutch pedal to the perceived end stop.

On the clutch master cylinder a second mechanic opens the bleeder screw.

2. If the clutch pedal can now be moved further and the vehicle can be started, or the message "Press clutch pedal to start vehicle" in the cluster goes out, the sender of the clutch mechanism is correct.

3. Close the bleeder screw on the clutch master cylinder.

The complaint is in the clutch mechanism (wear, check according to repair manual). Do not replace the master cylinder or the slave cylinder for this condition.""

Last edited by m444; 06-24-2013 at 07:58 AM.
Old 06-24-2013, 09:18 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't fight them on this issue. If they are willing to replace your clutch under warranty, you would be foolish not to let them do it. You obviously are getting near the end of your warranty. A new clutch is the way to go. IMHO, the clutch is the weak link in this car. You never know what else they may find when they take it apart. BTW, I have had a few instances of the clutch just not releasing and burning on an aggressive 1/2 shift. It is one of the reasons that I opted to get an new S4 rather than buy my current one that operates just fine now. BUT I am VERY reluctant to go WOT and shift 1/2.
Old 06-24-2013, 09:41 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by DrGP
Don't fight them on this issue. If they are willing to replace your clutch under warranty, you would be foolish not to let them do it. You obviously are getting near the end of your warranty. A new clutch is the way to go. IMHO, the clutch is the weak link in this car. You never know what else they may find when they take it apart. BTW, I have had a few instances of the clutch just not releasing and burning on an aggressive 1/2 shift. It is one of the reasons that I opted to get an new S4 rather than buy my current one that operates just fine now. BUT I am VERY reluctant to go WOT and shift 1/2.
He said that they told him he needed a new clutch and it would cost 4300. Doesn't matter if the car is under warranty, clutch wear is not covered by warranty.

4300 seems pretty steep though. At that price you could get a new clutch/pressure plate/flywheel combo from Southbend (3k for package) and get it installed at an independent shop (one that specializes in Audis) for less than what the dealer wants. JHM is also working on a clutch option that should be out soon as well, but no info on pricing yet.
Old 06-24-2013, 06:37 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by SCHALTHEBELKNAUF
He said that they told him he needed a new clutch and it would cost 4300. Doesn't matter if the car is under warranty, clutch wear is not covered by warranty.

4300 seems pretty steep though. At that price you could get a new clutch/pressure plate/flywheel combo from Southbend (3k for package) and get it installed at an independent shop (one that specializes in Audis) for less than what the dealer wants. JHM is also working on a clutch option that should be out soon as well, but no info on pricing yet.
I agree. If Audi will not replace it under warranty, an independent garage can do the job well for less money. Trying to avoid any undue stress to my clutch for the next 8 weeks. No signs of problem exists as long as I don't put the clutch under unusual stress
Old 06-25-2013, 07:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by DrGP
IMHO, the clutch is the weak link in this car.
That and the brakes (when tracking).

Have you been having signs of clutch problems throughout the life of the car or only recently?
Old 06-25-2013, 01:53 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by brooklyn86
That and the brakes (when tracking).

Have you been having signs of clutch problems throughout the life of the car or only recently?
Started last summer. Had it happen twice. Put the clutch pedal to the floor, when shifting 1/2 . Released the pedal and it just stayed on the floor and smelled burnt clutch. Took a while for the clutch action toreturn to normal. Since then, I have been very carefull not to WOT and shift 1/2. BTW, both times I was in Dynamic sport dif mode and I generally drive around in Auto.
Old 06-25-2013, 06:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I haven't had any issues until earlier this year. They offered to take $1050 off of the job, so I may save a little with them now...but I think if this isn't the root of the problem then dealing with audi will be easier than an independent guy. Plus the car is still warranted. ARRRRGGGGG cars drive me crazy!
I am going to drive for another month and see what happens

Quick Reply: Audi telling me i need new clutch.