S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

AWE Suggesting CAT Blown on 2011 S4

Old 07-22-2014, 05:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TO407S4
Any suggestions...please let me know
I'm being told they won't cover it. Sad when both the dealership and their tuning shop was pushing the mods. I was assured if be supported. I'm beside myself to say the least
Old 07-22-2014, 06:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Spoke to the GM and they have assured me that they stand behind their word and product. I'll provide an update once I know more or the work is done
Old 07-28-2014, 06:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Hello all,

The dealership was great and in the end the carbon buildup and bank 1 CAT were replaced under warranty. The Bank 1 CAT doesn't require the engine to be dropped. They do however have to remove the subframe to get at it.

I'm waiting on my bill from them. If anyone is interested in the services performed let me know and I'll update the thread.
Old 09-18-2014, 08:49 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by TO407S4
Hello all,

The dealership was great and in the end the carbon buildup and bank 1 CAT were replaced under warranty. The Bank 1 CAT doesn't require the engine to be dropped. They do however have to remove the subframe to get at it.

I'm waiting on my bill from them. If anyone is interested in the services performed let me know and I'll update the thread.

I'm having the same exact issue! I have the AWE track edition for my 2012 B8 S4. I thought the exhaust was blown because I was blowing out white chunks of fiberglass material and lots of dust! I took it into my local Audi dealer and they could not find anything wrong. So, I contacted AWE again and they pointed their fingers at the CAT. So I took it into AUDI again and they gave me a loaner and told me they were going to order the CAT for me.

Then, 2 days later they call me and tell me that they cannot order the CAT because my car has been modified. They didn't scan it or flag it into their system, but told me that because of the exhaust and having the ECu flashed, they have to void the warranty. This is a bunch of BULL**** as they promote modifying cars and supposed to be MOD friendly.

Was your car's ECU flashed? They are telling me that it will cost $2,700 just for the CAT. I refuse to pay this price for the CAT. What steps can I take to get this taken care of?

Any advice would help! I paid this dealer to examine the CAT ($100) and they told me everything is fine with the car and deems the care safe to drive. Now that the CAT is blown (AutoZone read the engine light code) and tehy deemed it safe to drive two times, would they be liable for any damages done to the car based on a blown CAT???
Old 09-26-2014, 05:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

The CAT is covered under another warranty entirely. Your exhaust and your ECU change shouldn't have anything to do with it. My situation was a little bit different because the dealership and tuning shop were owned by the same company. They stated they stood behind their work and when it counted they did.

I'd suggest getting a highflow CAT if your going to replace it. A lot less money as well...
My engine didn't have to be dropped to put in the CAT like the dealership originally thought. They just had to drop the subframe.

Keep us posted on what happens. What side blew? I'm just curious if it was the same side as me.
Old 09-30-2014, 09:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Just my .02 cents if considering a "high-flow" "lower cost" cat. The weld joints on many of these are inferior to the original and from experience on another car, they have cracked and leaked after a short time.