S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

B&O Subwoofer Upgrade Install Guide

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2014, 06:54 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gflare
In your opinion: What would be the biggest advantage to adding the amp?

A. To add greater control / pure volume to the bass ?
B. To boost the extreme low end to aid in the balance?
C. Something else?

I can't believe I haven't done this upgrade yet (scared to tweak my stock baby), but I'm learning a lot by lurking on these forums.
An amp will give you more bass as I don't think the stock amp puts out that much, it'll also allow dedicated sub control. The issues I could see is it goes away from a more oem set up. The JL sub you wouldn't even know it was aftermarket as it seems to integrate perfectly. Running oem amp to the speakers and an aftermarket amp/sub would result in the typical doof doof stereo set up or just overkill on bass potential if you turned it down. Plus I think I'd be adjusting the sub controller every song if I had one. My advice is try to find a similar sub to the JL model listed unless you really like heavy bass.
Old 11-06-2014, 05:36 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 279 Likes on 213 Posts

In your opinion: What would be the biggest advantage to adding the amp?

A. To add greater control / pure volume to the bass ?
B. To boost the extreme low end to aid in the balance?
C. Something else?
Both A and B. Changing the sub adds bass below 50Hz down to ~28Hz, boosts bass volume a bit, and tightens bass a whole lot. However there's still a pretty noticeable roll off below 40Hz and the bass adjustment on the stereo is centered at a higher frequency, so you end up getting overwhelming mid bass when you turn it up enough to get lots of deep bass. I suspect the B&O amp has plenty of power to satisfy most of us, but the lack of a subwoofer volume "****" makes it suck. In other words, you'd only add an amp to get a subwoofer volume ****.
Old 11-06-2014, 05:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Godfather | Jay
Ordered the Lanzar DCTOA10D. It's a DVC (dual voice coil) that can be wired as 8 ohm. It's designed for open-air/free-air/infinite baffle applications.

Lanzar - DCTOA10D - Open Air DVC Distinct Series 10-Inch High Power IB Open Free-Air 4 Ohm Subwoofer DVC, (1 Unit)

Highlights for why I chose it:
- Specified for free-air application
- Low power requirement (120w/240w)
- High sensitivity (90 dB)
- 4.61" mounting depth
- Exact hole pattern of the old JL Audio
- 8.86" cutout diameter (slightly smaller than the old JL Audio) - this was truly the kicker as many subs have a hard time fitting.
- Less than $60 shipped
Update: received and found more specs inside.
QTS: 0.686 ... this bodes well for the open air application.
FS: 37 ... another positive.

This sub seems perfect in theory. Now to find the time for the install.
Old 11-10-2014, 12:07 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default open air....

Originally Posted by Godfather | Jay
Update: received and found more specs inside.
QTS: 0.686 ... this bodes well for the open air application.
FS: 37 ... another positive.

This sub seems perfect in theory. Now to find the time for the install.
I was never happy with the sound from the open air setup. built an undermount box and really enjoy the tighter bass.
Old 11-12-2014, 10:47 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Bobby Kinstle
Both A and B. Changing the sub adds bass below 50Hz down to ~28Hz, boosts bass volume a bit, and tightens bass a whole lot. However there's still a pretty noticeable roll off below 40Hz and the bass adjustment on the stereo is centered at a higher frequency, so you end up getting overwhelming mid bass when you turn it up enough to get lots of deep bass. I suspect the B&O amp has plenty of power to satisfy most of us, but the lack of a subwoofer volume "****" makes it suck. In other words, you'd only add an amp to get a subwoofer volume ****.
The two things that irked me about the stock B&O were exactly the two things you mentioned here:
1. The rolloff at really low freqs
2. The 'bass centered at a higher frequency'

It sounds like the new sub is going to take care of some of it, but the only way to fully control balancing of all bass frequencies is to use a custom amp for sub control and then be more reserved (lower values) on the stock B&O bass settings.

The stock B&O actually sounds perfectly tuned to the normal pop-edm, drum&bass stuff (standard kicks sound pretty crazy good in stock settings). However, when I get more into the dubstep/trap/electro genres, the car's drop-off under the normal bass-kick frequency really sticks out like a sore thumb.

As always, thanks for the detailed explanations and your observations. I'm anxious to hear about Jay's experience with the Lanzar too.
Old 11-17-2014, 04:22 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Sorry if this has already been discussed but the JL Audio 10W1V2-8 originally used by the OP doesn't appear to be in production anymore. Does anyone have a good substitute? I just replaced my old A4 with a 2010 S4 and, like you all, found the B&O system to be lacking just a bit of low end.
Old 11-18-2014, 09:29 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Originally Posted by AK_Brian
Sorry if this has already been discussed but the JL Audio 10W1V2-8 originally used by the OP doesn't appear to be in production anymore. Does anyone have a good substitute? I just replaced my old A4 with a 2010 S4 and, like you all, found the B&O system to be lacking just a bit of low end.
There are several other excellent woofers discussed throughout this thread.
Old 11-24-2014, 07:32 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AK_Brian
Go with the kicker.
Old 12-19-2014, 03:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I'm anxious to hear about Jay's experience with the Lanzar too.
Just finished the install. Unfortunately it's not as good as I'd hoped despite the specs looking pretty good. Even though the power required is pretty low and the sensitivity is good, it still needs more power IMO. I have a feeling I would have said this with any sub running off stock power. I really didn't want to have to get an amp.

The other note I will say is that like the JL, the hole is still just a little small and required building up a little. Most other subs that have any potential have a wider diameter basket and would be even tougher to fit.
Old 12-19-2014, 10:27 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Give it a month to break in. I felt that way when I first installed the Pioneer sub, but after it broke in, I liked it a lot more.

Quick Reply: B&O Subwoofer Upgrade Install Guide