S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Help deciding between 2011 & 2012 S4

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 07:46 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help deciding between 2011 & 2012 S4

Folks, please help me decide between.. a) 2012 S4 (26K miles) optioned with what I want: keyless entry/start; leather seats; navigation; B&O audio.

b) 2011 S4 (30K miles) with alcantara interior (very nice), however, what's missing is the keyless entry/start & navigation. On the plus side, it does have the LSD option which is real plus.

Both are immaculate and have clean CarFax reports. I *may* be able to get the cost difference down to ~$1K between the two. Here's the dilemma.. the 2011 is CPO, the 2012 is not.

With the 2011 I'd get an additional year of warranty, next 3 service intervals covered (PO already paid for it) and all the wear/tear items already addressed. The 2012 is a newer car, optioned the way I'd like, less miles but *may* be in need of a new set of tires and who knows what else.

I plan on keeping either car beyond the warranty period which is making me lean towards the 2011 but goes against 'buying the newest model you can afford' line of thinking.
Old 06-05-2013, 08:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Tough call but in the end, I think I would decide getting the car that is option the way I want.

You are spending a lot of money and you do not want to have any regrets, whatsoever.

In my case, I was originally looking to buy used but couldn't find a car optioned the way I wanted. Luckily, there was a new car in my city EXACTLY how I would have optioned it. Yea, I did spend more than I originally intended but knowing how long I want to keep the car, I'm glad I did it.

Just one question: the 2012 car has or does not have the sport differential option? This should be a must-have option for any B8 S4 owner. I know many other owners would agree.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:53 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

The 2012 does not have the sport diff. I didn't think I'd really notice the difference until the tail kicked out a bit when I tore out of the dealership. I was pleasantly surprised.
Old 06-06-2013, 04:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

If you plan to keep the car long term then buy what you want, don't settle. If you have to spend a couple extra bucks do it. Expand your search if necessary or be patient. I originally was looking at gently used cars but ended up going new for a few reasons: 1.) To get the exact options I wanted 2.) The price of new was not much more than some of the gently used vehicles I was looking at 3.) There is a certain piece of mind with a new car, Im very particular with the way I care for my cars and it just seemed like a good idea to start with a fresh/new car. I was able to negotiate a fantastic deal through my Audi dealer on my new car.
Old 06-06-2013, 05:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

I agree! If you want to keep the car for a while then don't settle on something just because what you really want is not available.

I live in GA but I'm about to pick-up my S4 tomorrow in NC and that's because I couldn't find just the car that I wanted even though I am in the market for a new one.

The only sacrifice I make mine does not have the 19" wheels already installed but I guess that is the easiest thing to change out once the first set of tires is gone.

I agree with all other the Sports Differential is a must and was on top of my search list.

So for a 2 year old S4 I assume you are still spending at least $40k right? Let's face it if you get a nice discount and maybe the loyalty discount you can get a brand new one for probably $48k if you can live without Navi.

I'm just saying but that's why I chose a new one as well.
Old 06-06-2013, 06:02 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for the advice. While I share the same exact sentiments with buying new I need to be somewhat pragmatic with my decision.. got a son going to college in the fall. Correct, the range is 42-43K so there's not much difference between the two. If I go new I estimate it'd be in the low to mid 50s the way I'd want it optioned then thoughts start creeping in, what if... A6 Prestige, or 550ix M-Sport or a 2010 Cayenne GTS.

It's a slippery slope =) I think the S4 would fit my need for luxury/speed.
Old 06-06-2013, 06:40 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 279 Likes on 213 Posts

Another vote for the one with the sport diff. You won't believe the G forces you can pull with that little addition.
Old 06-06-2013, 08:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

I say, keep shopping. Your exact car will come up at that price ($42K).
Old 06-06-2013, 08:54 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You will eventually be sorry if you don't have a sport dif. You can get an extended waranty that actualy has better coverage than a CPO http://forums.quattroworld.com/q7/msgs/5779.phtml

Last edited by DrGP; 06-06-2013 at 08:58 AM.
Old 06-07-2013, 07:38 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks folks. After giving it some thought, I'll be patient and find the exact one I want.

shivamerlin, just curious how the transaction went? Any pitfalls to buying out of state?

Quick Reply: Help deciding between 2011 & 2012 S4